trailer ideas

yoda

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,
Ive just scored a 6 by 4 trailer that i want to make into a DH bike trailer...
Hoping someone could shed some light on what works best in a small trialer.

Im thinking someting like a tradies bar is the go, and hang the front end of the bikes over it. good or bad idea?

Prob will need to carry 5 bikes max, and im not too keen on using a crank holder type setup.

Cheers!!

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im thinking someting like a tradies bar is the go, and hang the front end of the bikes over it. good or bad idea?
Best and most simple/effective/fast idea there is. For extra points put a bar at both ends of the trailer. Mates trailer is just a box trailer with bars at either end, and it can fit 8 bikes in - if the bars were lower ited fit 10, and its so quick and simple to load them in and out.

Also, build the bar lower than a typical "tradies bar", as if they're built to high you cant twist the handlebars - and you'll find being able to twist the wheels to their side makes more bikes fit on much easier.

Messing around with crank holders and spring loaded bullshit is a waste of time and money.

yoda

Likes Bikes
sounds like im on the right track then, thanks mate!!
What did your mate build the bars out of? Square or round?
If you have a couple of pics somewhere thatd be great!

Cheers

addmin

Likes Dirt
here are some pics of trailers that i have found when looking for ideas for our trailer.
some of them are on larger trailers so the ideas have to be downsized.

we eventually put runs on the floor of the trailer for the wheels to sit in and then a bar at each end to secure the bikes to.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously, every one of those trailers is such a waste of time and effort compared to what you could just oh so simply do.

I don't have any pics, sorry, but I'll try and get some for you tomorrow :)

Just use square bars and wrap them up in old dooners etc, then cable tie them on tight as fuck with massive cable ties.

I guess the only advantage to putting the effort into those other trailers is the low scratch risk, but you shouldn't really be riding a Downhill bike if you're not expecting a scratch or two :rolleyes:

addmin

Likes Dirt
I guess the only advantage to putting the effort into those other trailers is the low scratch risk, but you shouldn't really be riding a Downhill bike if you're not expecting a scratch or two :rolleyes:
and that they look good :p

anyways heres two more pics.
The trailer on the left in the second pic has something similar to the tradies bar. The first is an idea i thought might have been able to be put onto a trailer

edit: with the idea of hanging the bikes over a tradies bar.. is there a risk of snapping the headtube off if your going over large-ish bumps? or is the risk 0

Last edited:

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
edit: with the idea of hanging the bikes over a tradies bar.. is there a risk of snapping the headtube off if your going over large-ish bumps? or is the risk 0
Zero.

The trailer on the left of the second pic is almost exactly what I'm talking about. Just have the bar part on either side of the trailer, infact if your talking 5 bikes you'll only need it on one side if you build it low enough to allow the bars/wheels to be turned.

adsy

Likes Bikes
just another idea for you, this is my mates trailer. It was originally a jet ski trailer and fits four bikes comortably for a small trailer. It might possibly take a bit longer to put together than some of the other ideas, but its pretty quick and easy for loading/unloading and doesnt result in any damage to the bikes. I believe you can get crank holders off gripsport, and all you've gotta do is check clearances and bolt the buggers down.

Attachments

Staunch

Eats Squid
If it just a regular trailer your best bet is to do this. Make some bars a each end to hold the wheels (wheel slot in between bars) and tyes the wheels in
(quick pic to help)

Curlz12

Likes Dirt
here are some pics of trailers that i have found when looking for ideas for our trailer.
some of them are on larger trailers so the ideas have to be downsized.

we eventually put runs on the floor of the trailer for the wheels to sit in and then a bar at each end to secure the bikes to.
That trailer has to the BESTEST 1 i've ever seen.
ME want.:D

crispy

Likes Bikes
hey Yoda

I'm actually in the process of building a trailer at the moment! (nearly finished!)
it's very similar to excaliber's sketch and it's removable so i can still use the trailer for rubbish (other than my bike!!)

i'll post up photos when it's complete!

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im very interested in any ideas as well.
My plan was to rip apart a rusted out box trailer (axles and suspension and basic frame structure still good)
Ill put up some concept sketches, how hard are the shuttle specific trailers to get registered?

yoda

Likes Bikes
Excaliber, that looks so easy!!
Brilliant idea, i reckon that will work perfect for what i want, plus it should be easier to make too!
ta mate!

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im very interested in any ideas as well.
My plan was to rip apart a rusted out box trailer (axles and suspension and basic frame structure still good)
Ill put up some concept sketches, how hard are the shuttle specific trailers to get registered?

Thats how mine was built , but we scored an old caravan chassis for $50. Its the 6th pic in post number 5 above , the black 5 bike trailer.

Keep the total weight under 250kgs , that will make rego cheaper.

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
Where is grip when you need him?? You will need welder and something to cut metal if you wanna do anything.

Howie66

Likes Dirt
If it just a regular trailer your best bet is to do this. Make some bars a each end to hold the wheels (wheel slot in between bars) and tyes the wheels in
(quick pic to help)

if anyone has any plans on something simple for a 6X4 trailer such as in the pic (nice drawing btw :D)

Yeah something simple like this would be awesome.. So chuck ya plans up, or if they are to big, pm me with them

Thanks heaps!!

Howie.