Trails around Melb :)

sammie_wood

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, looking for places to ride around Melbourne, ill be staying near greenvale and able to ride up to 10-15km to local trails or drive for a bit for trails, is there any thing near there or am i wasting my time thinking about it? if there is.. are there any local races going on after say may this year, wouldnt mind racing interstate for once :)

Thanks in advance, Sam :)

sammie_wood

Likes Bikes
i could make that work i reckon, whats the go with bikes on trains? can you do it or no go... haven't been to the big cities since i was about 12 (now 17). I do remember that ACT had a bus system with a bike rack on the front, i remember it being the cooolest thing

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Plenty Gorge is at the eastern end of the Western Ring road so a pretty easy drive from Greenvale. However, IMO the Youies are the best stuff around Melb, especially if you already have to load up the car to get to the trails.

If you’re really brave you could risk dealing with the locals on the YTs.

There are trails in a number of spots to the east of the city in the hills (Buxton, Lake Mountain, etc.).

Lysterfield lake has trails, although from Greenvale it would be a hike and the Youies would be closer.

Out west there are trails at Woodend.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Plenty Gorge isn't far from Greenvale. Never ridden there myself, so can't tell you the hows & wheres in any detail.

Bikes on trains in Melbs are fine, but some get a bit shirty at peak times. If You Yangs is part of the plan you need to get on the regional train, 'cos it's outside the Metro system. Not sure what the bike policy on that one is. If you can do it, get a Geelong train & get off at Little River. From there it's about a 10km ride to Youies.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
I live in geelong and have taken the train to melbourne with my bike a couple of times. There is a area within most carriages for bike storage. This is handy as you can keep an eye on it the whole time. Hope you have a rad trip out at the you yangs

sammie_wood

Likes Bikes
Sounds awesome guys! Thanks for all your help, I also remembered mt buller, is it possible to do public transport there with a bike? Even in a box If possible? I won't be able to do my own transport so solely relying on my legs and public transport

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Blue dirt

Im pretty sure you'll struggle to get to Buller on public transport, but it looks like Bluedirt will give you and your bike a lift up and back for $80. Pretty sure that's an absolute bargain if you are traveling alone.

teK--

Eats Squid
I think best is to hook up a lift. On some of the trains particularly around Greenvale side of town I would not want to be on a train with a nice bike with all the shady characters who hang around.

Plus if you plan to ride on Sundays the trains run less often and don't start as early.

Seabass

Likes Bikes
There are some tracks up at the homestead by the airport. Nothing fancy but a nice local ride from greenvale