Trailstat Website

Would you find a website like this usefull?

• Yes

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

Just wondering if there was a website that has trail status's on it? Other day pedalled solid for half hour up a fire trail, all to find out that the trail I was aiming for was closed for maintenance. Not a happy chappy. Then had to return back down the fire trail :( Also have been mid drive to a place to find out the mate got there early and its closed.

So question:

Is there a website?

Or

If not, could I use my web development experience and make a website (also a mobile version) that has all the framework for all well known trails in Australia, that is updated by the riders about the current trail status? I imagine it would be as easy as going to the website after your ride and posting a short message like

"Rocketfrog closed for Track Maintenance"

"Due to recent rain, tracks really boggy. Would give it a day or two"

People/groups could also post about upcoming track maintenance days. Could also have a weather section that could be viewable from the phone. See past 24hr rainfall, current temp.

Basically before the ride check where your going. Make any updates you feel need to be mentioned after you ride.

Thoughts? Would you use it?

Thanks

Last edited:

.dan.

Likes Dirt
NobMob doesn't display enough trails to make it useful to me. I've never ridden any of those trails shown besides Awaba and Mt Annan.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Ya, that's why I reckon something Australia Wide with User submitted tracks would be handy for everyone, rather than just a local based site. Not trying to take there site traffic or anything. Kinda like a one stop shop for everyone.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Making it user friendly for whole of Aus might be hard. MTBdirt has a trail conditions forum which sort of works. Only as good as it's users.
Something on here might work ie Main heading -trail conditons, then State (ie QLD), then Area (ie Daisy Hill).
It would need some separate mods to keep it clear of shite and delete old posts.

markb84

Likes Dirt
Making it user friendly for whole of Aus might be hard. MTBdirt has a trail conditions forum which sort of works. Only as good as it's users.
Something on here might work ie Main heading -trail conditons, then State (ie QLD), then Area (ie Daisy Hill).
It would need some separate mods to keep it clear of shite and delete old posts.
You would probably need 1-2 mods per trail, that way you have people responsible for their trails, even better if the mods are involved with the work on the trails.

It would also be good to open it up to organisations like NPWS to be able to communicate when the National Parks are closed for fire or flooding, you could pitch it to them from a safety point of view (keeping people out of the national parks when they are closed is important to them).

Having a nice app as well would be a great way of discovering new trails and checking on your local trails quickly before you head out. You could even configure push notifications for trail updates on your favourite trails, then if there's a maintenance day a) you don't go flying down the trail only to find people with rocks and shovels and b) you may potentially be made aware of maintenance days and be able to get people involved easily.

From a funding point of view, if the web interface and app are made very well and gather a large following you have a fantastic basis for strong, targeted advertising.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
You would probably need 1-2 mods per trail, that way you have people responsible for their trails, even better if the mods are involved with the work on the trails.

It would also be good to open it up to organisations like NPWS to be able to communicate when the National Parks are closed for fire or flooding, you could pitch it to them from a safety point of view (keeping people out of the national parks when they are closed is important to them).

Having a nice app as well would be a great way of discovering new trails and checking on your local trails quickly before you head out. You could even configure push notifications for trail updates on your favourite trails, then if there's a maintenance day a) you don't go flying down the trail only to find people with rocks and shovels and b) you may potentially be made aware of maintenance days and be able to get people involved easily.

From a funding point of view, if the web interface and app are made very well and gather a large following you have a fantastic basis for strong, targeted advertising.
Great Ideas mate. Thanks for your input. Pretty keen to make this happen. Hopefully with the support of fellow rotorburn members and riders we can make something good out of this.

Keep the feedback coming.

Thanks

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
I know here in WA we have trail status available through the PerthMTB website, although it doesn't appear to be updated very often (Are there any other WA sites that I should know about?). The trouble I think you will run into with allowing user submitted trails is that you may end up with users submitting unsanctioned trails with good intentions, but then being seen by the wrong people and closed down or trashed..

I definitely like the idea though, especially being able to find out about some of those unsanctioned trails in/around Perth so that I can ride something other than Jarrahdale or Kalamunda :p

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
The trouble I think you will run into with allowing user submitted trails is that you may end up with users submitting unsanctioned trails with good intentions, but then being seen by the wrong people and closed down or trashed..

I definitely like the idea though, especially being able to find out about some of those unsanctioned trails in/around Perth so that I can ride something other than Jarrahdale or Kalamunda :p
I think that's where a Moderating team would come into play. Ideally i would like to keep it to Legal/Official trails, with the exception of well known tracks that may not be "Official". Would hate for a track to get closed down because of my site. Trails that aren't on the current list would need to be moderated, and researched before being placed on the list for everyone to view.

The other option I'm leaning towards is to not displaying address for all trails. That way if you know about them, you can look at the current trails. If not you would have to find out from a local.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
You'd want to be able to get feeds from the official sites of trails as well as some of the trails are already being updated there.

Examples are as:
http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/my-lifestyle/sports-and-recreation/cycling/hornsby-mountain-bike-trail - OMV
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Australian-Botanic-Garden-Mount-Annan/115889528423447 - Mt Annan
http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/play/manly-dam-mountain-biking-0 - Manly dam
Great idea. Would be great to also give the admin of these groups to make posts about upcoming trail care aswell.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming!

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
.: Little Update :.​

Website has been purchased, & now I am in the design stage. Goal is to have it setup, running & fully operational by Late April-Mid May. Will also need to put the call up for trail moderators. So if you reckon you would like to be a moderator on one of your local tracks, feel free to PM us what tracks you frequent. Ill go into details later, but basically it would give you the ability to delete comments, for either the usual bad language stuff, or if an issue is no longer present on the trails (fallen tree, track closed for maintenance).

Ill post a comment/thread on here, in the near future officially asking for Trail Mods, as well as a brief outline of what is needed.

Also if you feel there are features you believe are a must on the website, let us know and we'll try and incorporate them.

Thanks

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Well done, you have rally jumped on this idea. will there be an app that can be used from a smartphone as an extension to the website?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
App is pretty essential as it will make it easy to send a status from the trail head which makes it more likely to be done. If I got to a trail and it was unrideable, if I couldn't post it on the spot, I'd likely forget to do it later by my 5th beer.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Well done, you have rally jumped on this idea. will there be an app that can be used from a smartphone as an extension to the website?
App is pretty essential as it will make it easy to send a status from the trail head which makes it more likely to be done. If I got to a trail and it was unrideable, if I couldn't post it on the spot, I'd likely forget to do it later by my 5th beer.
Stage 1: Website + Mobile Version to be easily viewed on a Mobile Device

Stage 2: Look at making an app for both Android & Apple Devices

Probably the only difference between the mobile site & the App, would be the ability to make a comment on a trail while in an area with no reception. When you then get back into an area with reception it posts the comment for you. Wheres on the mobile site, if you tried to post a comment on the website, you personally would have to remember to lodge it when your back in reception. Also the ability to view the trail status up until you were last in reception and the app was opened.

My goal is to have the mobile site as streamline as possible, while looking sweet.

Features of the Website + Mobile Version I would like to implement:

• Guests can view the latest trail Status, including localized (as local as the closest weather station) temp, humidity, rain for the past 24hrs
  • Registered users have the ability to log in and save there favorite trails for ease of view. Registered users will also be able to comment on trail status
    Once registered, by adding a shortcut to the Homescreen on your phone, you could be viewing the status of your favourite trail within seconds
  • 3 Groups of Users
    User - Non registered & can only view trail status
    Registered User - Ability to post comments and change the trail status
    Moderator/Group Representatives - Moderators can add/delete/edit comments. Group Reps can add in Trail Dig Days, and any scheduled track closures

Keep the info/thoughts coming!!

Thanks

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Sounds great, and good on you for getting straight into it!

Sounds like you've thought it through a fair bit already, so I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the end result

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I know you'll be investing a fair amount time and effort into this, but please make the app paid and not ad driven.