Training and Timing

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Strava is accurate in situations that are appropriate and when you know how it works.

It is unlikely to be accurate enough on a 1min section but above that it is fine if you set your recording intervals to 1 second. Further you should start it on a straight and finish it on a straight with good sky view not heavy canopy.

Where it doesn't work as well is with twisty tracks because it runs a good 15 m or so allowance in position to assume you are on a track, so also picks up some parallel tracks.

If you think a segment finishes at point A, then you ride 4 m past point A and expect that's always going to finish that segment, you're dreaming. So setup start and stop points where there is some speed and only light tree cover and you will get accuracy down to the settings - garmins can be set to 1 sec increments, and that's exactly. The accuracy you will get under those circumstances.

Yes I've been riding with mates and had different sets of times, but I can tell you in my own trails where I know precisely where each segment starts and finishes, it has never been surprising how times have worked.

Just looking at leaderboards should tell you that fast people always end up at the top, and egotists always complain that strava doesn't work because they think they are fastest. ;d

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
You can also get the LCD screen for your gopro to watch it on the spot. Video analysis is never going to be the quickest thing to get feedback on the trail but it helps for line choice and seeing where you were faster or slower on one run compared to another one.
You just need to be able to watch them side by side for comparison and that's where it can get tricky.

noddy

Likes Dirt
if you'r on a track rarely used or your own track its fairly straightforward to make a decently accurite timing system.
get two stopwatches and rig the start/stop button on one to a pushswitch, mount the switch on a lever board.

all you have to do then is syncronise the stopwatches at the bottom of your run, get to the top, leave on a certain minute and when you cross the board it will stop the bottom timer as you pass, take the start time away and you have your run time.timer1.jpg