Training: back after a break, how easy to go?

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

I'm just getting back into proper training after having pretty much November (since the fling) and December (Christmas) off. I've probably only ridden 250-300km since then, plus been running once a week and swimming once a week (although no riding or swimming in the last 2 weeks).

I was never really that "fit" I did the fling easily in just under 8 hours, no cramps and felt physically ok at the end of it, but I was fit enough to hold my own and ride all day.

Question is, how easy do I need to go to start training again? I don't want to go like a bull at a gate and end up worse off.

Any advice would be great,

oh & I'm training for the dirt works in May (again just want to make it, healthy & with a big smile on my face)

Cheers,
Chris

climbo

Likes Dirt
the only thing missing is.. how much did you do before the break?

Say you did 10 hours/week and then had this time off, I would probably go 5 hours/week to start, then ramp it up about an hour per week to get back to 10 hours/week. As long as your body isn;t rejecting the increases, go for it. If you feel tired or slow, back off for an extra week and then ramp it up. You have plenty of tme before DW.

sidathensgold

Likes Dirt
the only thing missing is.. how much did you do before the break?

Say you did 10 hours/week and then had this time off, I would probably go 5 hours/week to start, then ramp it up about an hour per week to get back to 10 hours/week. As long as your body isn;t rejecting the increases, go for it. If you feel tired or slow, back off for an extra week and then ramp it up. You have plenty of tme before DW.
Just to build upon what climbo already said, as its all correct. Assuming you did 10hours prior, I'd go 5, 6, 7, (rest week with about 4 or so), 8, 9, 10, (rest week with 5 or 6 hours), then settle back into the normal routine. Rest weeks are very important to allow your body to undergo the physiological changes of training.

agoer

Likes Dirt
Im in a similiar boat.

I had about 8 months off (and a full 5 from work) with a shoulder injury/operation.
I have been back at work since october, and im really battling with riding. Im finding my general fitness is crap as for the 5 or s months off i didnt move to far from the couch. Even turning up for work is really hurting (and still is).
And because im so tired motivation is really low too.
Another big problem im having is "what i used to be able to do" syndrome. I can still do a 35km ride no dramas but it knocks me around for about 3 days, so i dont jump back on the bike for about a week. Im just trying to be persistant and hopefully i can over come it.

Sorry to jack the thread but I have been meaning to post one about motivation so.......
Any advice on motivation would be good to.

G

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
I guess my advice with motivation is figure out why you're riding in the first place. For me it's not about competing or anything, it's just about being able to ride all day and enjoy it.

As for the first couple of rides back after some time off, I had a similar issue to you last year (5 months off the bike) so I deliberately started off doing flat rides of about 30km (on the road bike) to get my legs back into the motions without pushing hills. Think it made a heap of difference.

Good luck finding the motivation mate!