Training For DH

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
Hi
I have an assignment to do for PDHPE for my HSC. Its on a year long training program which i am going to do on Downhill Mountain Biking. So i want to no what you guys who are serious do for training. eg if you go to the gym what and muscle groups do you train, through what exercises?? i searched other threads but not specific enough for what i need.

Thanks guys your help would be greatly appreciated.:)

kemmis

Likes Dirt
I generally just ride. although i am getting serious about my dh and would like to do more so this thread should be good. Can you post the training scheme up when your done.

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
Sure will do im trying to get something together with specific exercises related to dh which prepares the body for a 4-5 minute dh run.

kemmis

Likes Dirt
I have Mastering mtb skills" by brian lopes, its good and has some info you might interested in. also whats 11 and 12 PDHPE like? i am thinking of choosing it.

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
Hi
Its nothing like year 10 pdhpe. Their is alot of information you need to no and get on top of. i wish i didn't pick it but i have about 6 weeks left so im just pushing throught how ever i found sports medicine and this topic of the bodys engery system and training very interesting and useful.

Dug

Likes Dirt
I try to train as I am riding. Mental strength as well as phsyical training is needed. I ride as it dose not feel like training to me . Ride a couple of Enduros lets say at least two 100K plus rides a year, 5 to 6 four hour races, and just plian cross country short track and a bit of all mountain freeride. Do a bit of park and street for the upper body workout and hit as many different club races in your area. It does the head good to mix things up a bit and the different riding types keeps you fresh. Expierance all riding styles and you will be ready for anything that a DH track can throw at you. Fitness is over looked by a lot of DH riders but will let the body take the punishment that riding DH can bring. 47 and still compeditive.... Got to be doing something right:D

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fartlek would have to be one of the best things I have come across for the fitness stuff.

big dan

Likes Dirt
basically you need to look at what energy systems you need to focus on. DH is a little complex as it moves beyond the 2 min mark where the aerobic system takes over from the lactate system however in a DH run you will typically have some recovery and then move back into lactate production (it hurts).

Once you establish an Aerobic base by putting in some base kms over the pre season the best way to train is either with an interval program or by using fartlek training (swedish for speedplay or fast-slow), basically going for an xc ride that incorporates a lot of sprints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

interval training is also very useful and can be incorporated into your shuttle runs as long as you work out an appropriate work-rest ratio.

Strength work has benefits, especially core work. See this website for a start

http://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/

also some good stuff on here, this guy trains mx riders as well as mtb riders

http://www.mxfitness.co.uk/

fletcha2233

Likes Dirt
what i do to train is...
never ride
and eat as much maccas as possible.

no but seriously i just practice corners a fark load
and rocks lots of rocks

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
basically you need to look at what energy systems you need to focus on. DH is a little complex as it moves beyond the 2 min mark where the aerobic system takes over from the lactate system however in a DH run you will typically have some recovery and then move back into lactate production (it hurts).

Once you establish an Aerobic base by putting in some base kms over the pre season the best way to train is either with an interval program or by using fartlek training (swedish for speedplay or fast-slow), basically going for an xc ride that incorporates a lot of sprints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

interval training is also very useful and can be incorporated into your shuttle runs as long as you work out an appropriate work-rest ratio.

Strength work has benefits, especially core work. See this website for a start

http://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/

also some good stuff on here, this guy trains mx riders as well as mtb riders

http://www.mxfitness.co.uk/
yea will look at those websites. Thanks alot this is exaclty what i am after keep the good replys coming guys.:)

saundo

Likes Dirt
The thing that is most difficult about training for dh is the fact that you need both physical strength and stamina but you also have to be mentally strong. You cannot just train flat out in the gym then go and expect to win a race. You need to find the perfect balance between weights training in the gym and training in all the different aspects while riding your bike , i.e training on big fast jumps one day and then training in rock gardens the next. XC and road are good ways to train becasue you work the muscles that you will be using when riding dh but you are also improving you bike skills , which is important.

hope this helps

chuckies_here

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I usually hit the gym 3-4 times a week usually focusing on my legs arms and core muscle groups. I'm also on creatine which promotes muscle growth. Along with that i also do long distance running training 3 times a week.
And i also try and go for a ride 3-4 times a week just to practise logs, rocks, corners.
And then have a day of runs either on Saturday or sunday.

And usually once a week i stack, Just too test it all out.

Dan

Likes Dirt
I personally think if you wanted to train for DH, you would want to hit the gym.

For me, im one of those guys who isnt that big and strong, so throwing around a heavy bike isnt as easy as it is for some other guys. When I was training at the gym purely building muscle, I found it a lot easier to throw the bike around into the right positions and places.

So I think DH is really an all round thing. You want upper body strength to throw the bike around, strong legs to power through shit, and also fitness to keep going the whole way. I dont think there is one particular muscle group or type of training that would be better.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
From my experience of doing year 12 PE at school only like one or maybe two replies are useful...

Firstly... Why choose downhill??! Your not going to get extra marks for choosing a harder sport.... Best off doing something like AFL, Rugby, Soccor, Netball or something along those lines, soooooo easy to get a good and thorough training program on paper..

Anywho... Firstly you need to figure out what energy systems are most dominant in Downhill... Obviously ATP-PC system will not be a dominant system except for the first 7-10sec of the sprint off the line.. The Lactic Acid system will be dominant for a majority of the time (like a 2-3min course) though the Aerobic system will also play huge role also with energy production..

As Downhill is not like a 100m sprinter, it is harder to focus on what area of energy systems to train as different tracks will alter percentages of what energy systems are dominatly used..

Overall though, you'll find that the Lactic Acid system and Aerobic system will both coincide as the most dominant systems on many Australian tracks (bar Thredbo and other long long tracks where aerobic will be the most dominant)..

I say both will be both dominant semi equally as in fast technical sections and pedally straights you'll be utilizing most of your ATP production from the Lactate system while in easy going sitting down parts of the track where your 'just taking it easy', the aerobic system will be providing the majority of the ATP to the working muscles, while also helping remove accumulated Lactate and Metobolites from the blood...

Okay... So keep in mind the energy system interplay and so forth...

Anywho... You need to analise the run and find out what muscles will be used through out the race, and which will be used the most..

Once you have figured out energy systems used throughout the run and what muscle(s) group(s) are used mostly you can start deciding on tests on which you will get your Downhiller that you will be designing the training regiem for...

You should have learnt that in order to induvidualise your training program to whoever you are designing it for, you have to test them on specific tests relevant to their sport (downhill)... Once you have chosen these specific tests, you can get the person to complete the tests while you record the results..

From these results you will be able to determine what areas need considerable work to bring the induvidual up to standard and which areas are already or above standard and dont need so much attention...

From these results you then can start building your program and induvidualise it to the downhiller as much as possible.. Not everyone will have the same training program suit them..

Now, what to include into the training program?? (also depends on whether it is pre / in or post season also....)

Certainly need a weights program incorporated while also including aerobic and anaerobic excerise and movements incorporated also that will be relevant to downhill... Consider Fartlek, Short / Long intereval, weights including power movements..

As you wouldnt give a program to a swimmer with heaps of running involved nor a runner with heaps of swimming... Same as you wouldnt say to a downhiller go do 600km of road riding each week... Needs to be specific!!!

(god i'm starting to get tired and missing heaps........)

Also remember as the designer of the program why you are including what you are and what the objective is and how it is relevant and specific to downhill...

Also take into account Lactate Inflexion Point (LIP, as this will help the downhiller compete at higher heart rates with out accumalting Lactate), VO2 Max (as the more oxygen the rider can inspire and expire will help with more glycogen being broken down for working muscles quicker while also aiding in removing Metabolites quicker and faster also), muscle movements also (inflexion / extension and so forth..), what energy systems are most dominant and when and why and so forth...

So much stuff you have to consider when trying to design an iduvidualised training program for someone...

This is really brief... i could go on for pages and pages but you get the idea..

This will only give you an idea of what you need to consider.. You still have to research a hell of alot..

I still advise you should switch to something easier which you'll be able to research a bit better..

Patto

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
Hi
I have found some good websites on the net also that will help me with assignment and it is pretty much nearlly all tied together. The reason i chose this is to be different and pretty much all your soccer football has been taken by everyone else in the class also i plan on trialling it next year.
thanks for your help

From my experience of doing year 12 PE at school only like one or maybe two replies are useful...

Firstly... Why choose downhill??! Your not going to get extra marks for choosing a harder sport.... Best off doing something like AFL, Rugby, Soccor, Netball or something along those lines, soooooo easy to get a good and thorough training program on paper..

Anywho... Firstly you need to figure out what energy systems are most dominant in Downhill... Obviously ATP-PC system will not be a dominant system except for the first 7-10sec of the sprint off the line.. The Lactic Acid system will be dominant for a majority of the time (like a 2-3min course) though the Aerobic system will also play huge role also with energy production..

As Downhill is not like a 100m sprinter, it is harder to focus on what area of energy systems to train as different tracks will alter percentages of what energy systems are dominatly used..

Overall though, you'll find that the Lactic Acid system and Aerobic system will both coincide as the most dominant systems on many Australian tracks (bar Thredbo and other long long tracks where aerobic will be the most dominant)..

I say both will be both dominant semi equally as in fast technical sections and pedally straights you'll be utilizing most of your ATP production from the Lactate system while in easy going sitting down parts of the track where your 'just taking it easy', the aerobic system will be providing the majority of the ATP to the working muscles, while also helping remove accumulated Lactate and Metobolites from the blood...

Okay... So keep in mind the energy system interplay and so forth...

Anywho... You need to analise the run and find out what muscles will be used through out the race, and which will be used the most..

Once you have figured out energy systems used throughout the run and what muscle(s) group(s) are used mostly you can start deciding on tests on which you will get your Downhiller that you will be designing the training regiem for...

You should have learnt that in order to induvidualise your training program to whoever you are designing it for, you have to test them on specific tests relevant to their sport (downhill)... Once you have chosen these specific tests, you can get the person to complete the tests while you record the results..

From these results you will be able to determine what areas need considerable work to bring the induvidual up to standard and which areas are already or above standard and dont need so much attention...

From these results you then can start building your program and induvidualise it to the downhiller as much as possible.. Not everyone will have the same training program suit them..

Now, what to include into the training program?? (also depends on whether it is pre / in or post season also....)

Certainly need a weights program incorporated while also including aerobic and anaerobic excerise and movements incorporated also that will be relevant to downhill... Consider Fartlek, Short / Long intereval, weights including power movements..

As you wouldnt give a program to a swimmer with heaps of running involved nor a runner with heaps of swimming... Same as you wouldnt say to a downhiller go do 600km of road riding each week... Needs to be specific!!!

(god i'm starting to get tired and missing heaps........)

Also remember as the designer of the program why you are including what you are and what the objective is and how it is relevant and specific to downhill...

Also take into account Lactate Inflexion Point (LIP, as this will help the downhiller compete at higher heart rates with out accumalting Lactate), VO2 Max (as the more oxygen the rider can inspire and expire will help with more glycogen being broken down for working muscles quicker while also aiding in removing Metabolites quicker and faster also), muscle movements also (inflexion / extension and so forth..), what energy systems are most dominant and when and why and so forth...

So much stuff you have to consider when trying to design an iduvidualised training program for someone...

This is really brief... i could go on for pages and pages but you get the idea..

This will only give you an idea of what you need to consider.. You still have to research a hell of alot..

I still advise you should switch to something easier which you'll be able to research a bit better..

Patto

funkymonkey

Likes Dirt
Bloody hell Patto...

I would have given you an A+

I used to be a PDHPE teacher and i would have loved to get an assignment back with something different like downhill rather than the 30 odd swimming/running/football assignments.

I would look at major muscle groups such as Quads/Hammys/Bum and calfs.

I would also look at the stablilisers like the abs and lower back (especially for those show off whips)

In general, the upper body is reasonably static, if it wasnt you'd be all over the shop and would effect your balance.

Also dont forget about flexability, particulary as your body absorbs a lot of hits (limited with a dually but still there)

So in conclusion, to train for it besides runs and cardio such as road cycling:

I would be doing squats, lunges, calf raises for lower body.
Situps, bridges and exercises on those ball things that force you to stabalise your mid section.
The usual bench press, flys and grip strength exercises for the top.
Loads of stretching like pilates... if your into that!

Good luck.

EDIT:

Also include something about the adrenal system (read adreniline) as this would play a major part in increasing the amount of blood flow/heart rate around the body. Over time this would decrease, but would always play a part.
Oh and the psychlogical effects, such as the effect of a crash/failure...

Last edited:

big dan

Likes Dirt
Not a bad effort patto, im the Head of a Phys Ed department in a high school. You sound like you would have done well.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Make sure you update is on what the Program you came up with included... Would be interested to see your findings and see what you view a Downhiller should adopt as a training program..

Patto