Training Plan/Diet Plan

Cam070695

Likes Dirt
Howdy
Just putting my feelers out there

im looking to improve strength and endurance on the bike does anyone know anyone or does anyone have the ability or training/Know how to make up a bit of a training plan?

Theres stuff all over the net to improve strength but it would be nice to have something thats actually made for myself.

Also chasing a bit of a diet plan without going to over the top. Its always easier to follow a plan than to just wing it and get lazy.

Any help or advice would be appreciated
Cheers Cam

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you want to hit the gym or are you after a pure cycling program? I find squats really beneficial to my riding.

Also what's your weight and height?

I'm not real good at putting plans together but we will need that Info to point you in the right direction.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Howdy
Just putting my feelers out there

im looking to improve strength and endurance on the bike does anyone know anyone or does anyone have the ability or training/Know how to make up a bit of a training plan?

Theres stuff all over the net to improve strength but it would be nice to have something thats actually made for myself.

Also chasing a bit of a diet plan without going to over the top. Its always easier to follow a plan than to just wing it and get lazy.

Any help or advice would be appreciated
Cheers Cam
There is a good training plan for Enduros in this month's Australian Mountain Bike magazine. I got it yesterday and thought I'd give it a go.

moorey

call me Mia
There is a good training plan for Enduros in this month's Australian Mountain Bike magazine. I got it yesterday and thought I'd give it a go.
Don't go getting all fit on me, Damo, or I'll continue to forget to call you about rides....

Cam, I've never been one for planning or training. For me, its gotta be fun. I just ride every chance I get and keep trying to push those rides a bit harder each time.
I've returned to riding in the last 12 months after 6 years off the bike. Dropped from 82kg down to about 69kg, and I'm fitter now than I have probably been at any point of my life.
With a wife working shifts and a couple of young kids, I'm limited in when I can ride, but usually manage about 600-650km a month. I usually intentionally ride a bigger bike than sensible, to help with the strength and fitness (even my 'xc' bike is 13kg+ with 140mm forks, or I ride the 15kg haro or 17kg bottlerocket), even to work, which is only a 25km return loop on the road.
I know it doesn't answer your 'training' question, but personally, i think people get too hung up on training and forget the fun.
Enjoy.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Don't go getting all fit on me, Damo, or I'll continue to forget to call you about rides....

Cam, I've never been one for planning or training. For me, its gotta be fun. I just ride every chance I get and keep trying to push those rides a bit harder each time.
I've returned to riding in the last 12 months after 6 years off the bike. Dropped from 82kg down to about 69kg, and I'm fitter now than I have probably been at any point of my life.
With a wife working shifts and a couple of young kids, I'm limited in when I can ride, but usually manage about 600-650km a month. I usually intentionally ride a bigger bike than sensible, to help with the strength and fitness (even my 'xc' bike is 13kg+ with 140mm forks, or I ride the 15kg haro or 17kg bottlerocket), even to work, which is only a 25km return loop on the road.
I know it doesn't answer your 'training' question, but personally, i think people get too hung up on training and forget the fun.
Enjoy.
Cry me a river Moonhead!! As it turns out what we are doing with the rides on Sunday, Thursday, some commutes & when you add in the additional Tuesday morning (if invited) this fits in with the baseline stuff recommended. Plus when I go through in the lead up to the Otway Odyssey it fits in pretty much with what we were doing (additional Saturday & longer rides). I think the plan in the Mag is more for 100klm plus so for 50's or 3 hours we are pretty spot on.

But the articles actually gives some structure to the program. The only bit I would add from their article, which I think is a good idea, is: if you are intending to race is actually do some pretend races with your mates in lead up. And do some big hills too.

moorey

call me Mia
Right!!!! Not this Sunday (Quinns b'day), but next, the full double loop. Will be 70+ from my joint and more like 60 for your candy arse.
Just don't call it 'training', or I'm bring the peanut butter when I visit your dogs...

driftking

Wheel size expert
When you say endurance are you referring to muscular endurance or cardio/respiratory endurance. I ask because endurance work and strength work are very different actually quite opposite in that endurance tends to be low resistance higher repetition where strength is very high resistance low rep.
If you want to or need to focus on a few areas consider looking at periodizing your workouts.
As mentioned AMB had a enduro workout plane recently too.
For me I find the hardest part is working in rest with riding and training.

Cam070695

Likes Dirt
im 17 weigh about 61kgs and am about 180! so im a relatively smaller set guy!

For me i love riding. i cant ride my bike enough, im very enthusiastic about my riding and about training. Sounds silly but it is fun for me.

I struggle because i tend to adjust how far i ride to how im feeling on the day which isnt helping me build any structure, endurance etc.

For example last week: 10 solid hours on the bike
This Week: 5 or 6

I just need a bit of a plan so i can have something to stick by.
Usually riding XC Wednesday nights for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, racing friday nights and then another xc or road ride on sundays. For the rest of the time i wing it!

driftking

Wheel size expert
im 17 weigh about 61kgs and am about 180! so im a relatively smaller set guy!

For me i love riding. i cant ride my bike enough, im very enthusiastic about my riding and about training. Sounds silly but it is fun for me.

I struggle because i tend to adjust how far i ride to how im feeling on the day which isnt helping me build any structure, endurance etc.

For example last week: 10 solid hours on the bike
This Week: 5 or 6

I just need a bit of a plan so i can have something to stick by.
Usually riding XC Wednesday nights for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, racing friday nights and then another xc or road ride on sundays. For the rest of the time i wing it!
If you are seriously looking at proper training I would deffinately suggest you pick up a heart rate monitor and find your heart rate or threshold zones. Working in the right zones really does dramatically improve your training as you can train in the right area to maximize your results for your goals.
Your perceived exhaustion is not a bad thing for judgement, while it's important to be consistent, if your body is getting over worked having a lower volume week isn't bad. You can use a perceived structure for this or a heart rate variability monitor, you can use the hr monitor to find this out. Basically over a week you establish a base line heart rate in the morning, there is a correlation between hr and recovery. If your hr is elevated from base in the morning you are only partly recovered and you can adjust your workout intensity or that day. It just help prevent over training and is another tool for maximizing your training to its potential.

I too am a light weight, I would suggest that you look at your diet, as your work load increase as will your caloric needs, if it's the same deal you have a rocket metabolism too, we eat like a fat person but gain with slowly, this is actually awesome, I used to hate not been able to bulk up but once you get used to eating lots, you dont gain much fat. With food nutrition and exercise you can gain strength and size with little fat gain.

Winging it is important sometimes, having some time with mates or just to go have fun keeps you fresh and helps prevent mental burn out.
I would start with body weight workouts to establish a base line fitness/strength. I would expect at the weight you lack strength as a big weakness, I may be wrong but as a light weight myself its definately a weakness of mine at the moment.

I can't help with the xc distance as im Trying to find the same information for my base training.
Your hours seem good but I would add in some strength training, make sure diet is in check, and get into monitoring your rides to maximize results, sometimes going slower (aerobic) is better. Depending on the adaptions you want you need to train in the right zones.

Last edited: