Training tips while building for my first 24 solo

a-frame81

Likes Bikes
I'm looking at doing my first 24hr solo next year and am trying to plan for training around family and work.

What tips do people have to try and fit it in, bearing in mind I have 2 small children? I will be riding to work 1-2 times a week which is about 18kms each way and will be trying to get some longer night rides in a couple of times a week too.

With the limits on riding a young family can apply am I crazy?

I'll be riding my Trance 29er for most rides, but will hopefully be getting a new 29er hardtail to go with it before too long.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

I'm in a similar situation. I've been looking at a program from LW coaching. I don't know if I have the time to pull it off.
Out of interest are you planning on riding the hardtail for the 24?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalklk

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a trainer or some rollers. It's boring, but half an hour at very high intensity as many nights a week as you can manage and you'll be motoring.

Best of luck, takes some balls to do it solo!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Be careful about getting a coach, rarely do I here of stories where coaches actually take into the fact that people have families and lives outside of riding their bike, many coaches (not all) are of the opinion that their athletes have unlimited time to just ride their bikes. If you do decide to allocate money towards a coach treat it like an interview process where they are the applicants, what are they bringing to your team, do they truly understand there will be weeks where you can't train, are they going to be accessible to modify your program on the fly, are they local, will they actually ride with you, do they have a mtbing background or are they just road background?? The most important aspect in having a coach on your team is "stick to the program that they give you, you need to install trust that they know what they are doing" Be selfish in your training to ensure that you still to the coaches instructions to the letter. There is no point in paying of their services if you are not going to follow the program 100%, 100% of the time.

My advice to anyone no matter what physical endeavour they are trying to achieve is firstly be as consistent with your training, gradually build, maybe have a weekly goal of riding 10 hrs per week for the next 2 months. Most athletes starting out will achieve fantastic improvements by being consistent with their training.

quiggs

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm looking at doing my first 24hr solo next year and am trying to plan for training around family and work.

What tips do people have to try and fit it in, bearing in mind I have 2 small children? I will be riding to work 1-2 times a week which is about 18kms each way and will be trying to get some longer night rides in a couple of times a week too.

With the limits on riding a young family can apply am I crazy?

I'll be riding my Trance 29er for most rides, but will hopefully be getting a new 29er hardtail to go with it before too long.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Cheers.
here's how I'd approach without knowing your back ground or timeline.
think of it this way you're aiming to ride 300+ Ks in 24 Hours, so what's the training requirement? A large proportion is simply endurance riding, the most time efficient to get you there is going to be on the road. Yes you will eventually get specific to the event i.e. mtb riding, climbing, skills etc. (probably in your commute).

With the time you have and remember the 2.5 rule, 1 = family 1 = job .5 = cycling, if your cycling gets beyond .5 watch out.

So the 18kms each way is going to be interval based training that you can build into your commute. That means finding sections/loops with climbs where you can get your heart rate up for short periods - you'll probably be carrying weight (back pack) so don't over do it. Assuming your 2 days have a rest day in between, so you can go pretty hard in the intervals.

Better get your nutrition hydration right as well.

Weekends will be a combination of 4 hr - 6 hr rides, (100-150k road) flat and hills, no high intensity, endurance.

guyc

Squid
The LW training plan (it's not really coaching) will be worth it, if mainly to give you the confidence that you are doing the right things. She also has a forum where you can ask questions about making the plan fit your schedule.

As for fitting it all in - best to start getting your body ready for lots of early mornings on the trainer, plus the commuting. Also make sure the family is on board before you start.

a-frame81

Likes Bikes
I'm in a similar situation. I've been looking at a program from LW coaching. I don't know if I have the time to pull it off.
Out of interest are you planning on riding the hardtail for the 24?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalklk
I'm not sure which at this stage. I think it would depend which race I do. I'm looking at either the Scott, being close to home and having friends & family to pit crew, or the Jet Black, where I have family who live nearby who could help out. If I do the Scott I'll probably ride the Trance, but the Jet Black I'd favour the hardtail.

At the moment I'm trying to sell my 650b hardtail as I want to match wheel size with my bikes so I can swap them if I puncture. If I don't sell it I'll keep it and I'd definitely ride it at Mt Annan as it's pretty tight on the Trance.

a-frame81

Likes Bikes
I've got the family on board at this stage, but very much on the proviso that I work in around family time. I like the family = 1 work = 1 bike = .5 equation as that pretty much sums up the time I have.

I have a trainer (well sort of: the 650b doesn't fit on knobbys so I'll need to look at some 700c tyres for the Trance to use it) and am planning to use it 3-4 time a week on top of the commuting. Mostly looking at intervals on it at this stage as I don't fancy the idea of spending hours pedalling nowhere. One night a week, I'm planning for a 2-3 hour ride (if I can fit it in every week) and as the children get a bit easier (they're 3 & 1 at the moment) I'll look at adding decent weekend ride in.

I'm also looking at doing some 3-6hr races prior to work on nutrition strategy. I did the Tumut 3hr and found out I'm sorely lacking in that regard as I got the hydration right but forgot the fuel side of the equation and left it too long before taking on some carbs.

Thanks for all the advice so far, keep it coming.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The LW training plan (it's not really coaching) will be worth it, if mainly to give you the confidence that you are doing the right things. She also has a forum where you can ask questions about making the plan fit your schedule.
Linda is fantastic, her plans are well thought out and generally she is more than happy to answer questions via the forum, and even her Facebook page. I used a customised version of her 12hr plan with some great success albeit quite a few years ago. From memory it was well broken down, very informative and had a number of alternative workouts.

The biggest challenge with a young family is finding the time to get out, or even get on the trainer - that said using the time wisely you can get the most out of the little time you do have. A wind trainer is very beneficial here, as is commuting. As Quiggs pointed out the biggest initial gains will come from adding consistency!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't fancy the idea of spending hours pedalling nowhere. One night a week, I'm planning for a 2-3 hour ride (if I can fit it in every week) and as the children get a bit easier (they're 3 & 1 at the moment) I'll look at adding decent weekend ride in.
think outside the square here, those 2 kids especially the 3 year old are going to give you the opportunity to build power. Put one on the back for a 20-30k park ride and there's your hill climbing session + kudos for being an active dad.

Last edited:

telemike4

Likes Bikes
What is your target. 250kms will put you mid field, which is nothing to be ashamed of. you can do this on much less than 10 hours per week, as long as you have the mental toughness. I did WEMBO and did 300kms and i didn't average more than about 7 hours per week (some weeks more, some zero). Are you in Canberra? PM me your number and we can talk.

shakes

Likes Dirt
The biggest challenge with a young family is finding the time to get out, or even get on the trainer
I'd nearly argue the motivation to get out - when it's 4.30am, the kids have been up 3 times overnight and your getting up to get out in 4°c and pouring rain because thats the only time you have you question your priorities.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd nearly argue the motivation to get out - when it's 4.30am, the kids have been up 3 times overnight and your getting up to get out in 4°c and pouring rain because thats the only time you have you question your priorities.
Absolutely! We have a 7wk old so this is close to home :whistle:

Larabeemax

Likes Bikes
Training for a 24 Hour Solo

Absolutely! We have a 7wk old so this is close to home :whistle:
Hi there - I just noticed this post and I wrote a brief article after the Worlds in Canberra a few years ago. It's my checklist for how to approach the race. I should add that also did an average of 10-12 hours a week and had a young daughter, so it's potentially relevant. Just one perspective anyhow, and I guess my big message is the physical prep is only a small part of it. Happy to answer any specifics of course.

Brad

http://cyclingbrad.com/2010/10/10-point-plan-to-podium-at-the-worlds/

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I guess my big message is the physical prep is only a small part of it.

Brad

+1
I think the pedaling is the easy part. Getting your head right and your support in place is the hard part.
At 1:00 am I was physically fine but seeing my family suffering in the freezing conditions made me feel bad.
So I now have a gas heater to hopefully help get them through the night.
To the op, commuting is the go. Build up the hours slowly. But you need to get some long weekend rides in too. 6+ hours. This is to get extended bum time and get your head around riding a long time.
3 hour races are nothing like 24 hours. 3 hours is a sprint race and generally flat out. You can't ride a 24 like that.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi there - I just noticed this post and I wrote a brief article after the Worlds in Canberra a few years ago. It's my checklist for how to approach the race. I should add that also did an average of 10-12 hours a week and had a young daughter, so it's potentially relevant. Just one perspective anyhow, and I guess my big message is the physical prep is only a small part of it. Happy to answer any specifics of course.

Brad

Brad, thats fantastic will have to have a read. I know Quiggs is in a similar cat racing 24's competatively with a young family.

3 hour races are nothing like 24 hours. 3 hours is a sprint race and generally flat out. You can't ride a 24 like that.
I've found out in recent times 3hr races are nothing like 6hr races either :p

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I've been looking at a program from LW coaching.
Another vote for the LW programs. I have used LW 24 + 100km plans, FTP personal coaching, Chris Eatough 24 program. The LW programs are well thought out and very explicit on what each session is and why your doing it. I also highly rate
https://www.bikejames.com/ his training programs for strength are second to none!

It can be tough putting aside the time, hard to get motivated to get out on your own and do the slog, but if you want the results then you will do what it takes :) Just remember, MTB is ment to be fun!

guyc

Squid
I also highly rate
https://www.bikejames.com/ his training programs for strength are second to none!
Yes I'd throw his program into your training schedule too. If doing a LW plan use his stuff for the core/strength sessions.

I think the longer the MTB race the more important core/upper body strength is - so don't be tempted to cut that stuff out if you have minimal time for training, you'll regret it!