trance for all mountain

A.France

Likes Bikes
i have just ordered a 2012 trance X3 do you people have any recommendations for making it more all mountain

anthonyq

Likes Dirt
well not much u can do with the forks i was gonna recommend maybe bump the suspension up to like 100-140mm fork like the sektor but it has that stupid inch and a quarter headtube maybe wider bars shorter stem?

BM Epic

Eats Squid
More travel, trance is 5inch?..bigger forks as in 36's, wide bars as in 720, short stem as in 50mm, not much you can do with the rear end, you got what you got, also chunkier tyres?

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
A mate rides a trance and throws it around everywhere. He did upgrade to 2.35 tyres, wider bars, shorter stem, single front ring and dropper post.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
What do you mean by AM ... I considered my Trance an AM rig ... and I didn't have an X series Trance either

Most people consider AM as descending relatively fast through rough ... it can certainly do that ... if you want it to survive a little longer then it all comes down to wheels, stem, tires and maybe bars ... and rear shock pressure.

No idea what the spec on the fork is now days, but my rebas were awesome.

b0ing

Likes Dirt
Cancel your order and get something from the Reign series?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

A.France

Likes Bikes
i don't need to go bigger on the rear wheel travel because i am getting a "hardcore" am freeride bike early next year this is just a trail light am bike

Andrei

Likes Dirt
Probably a shorter stem 50-70mm, wider bars 710mm up, and a 180mm disc up front will get you started. The head angle is pretty steep on the trance imo, 140mm fork would be better.

I did pretty much all these things to my Trance except for the forks, then just sold it and built a proper AM bike. Like Nerf said depends on your riding style and how agressive trails you wanna hit.

Ivan

Eats Squid
^^^^^
what andrei and others have suggested, and maybe an angleset if you really want it a playful bike.

kemmis

Likes Dirt
I ride a trance for all mountain, bit of downhill, just abou anything, if you are smooth they are a super fun bike. I love it.

Bluemtb

Likes Bikes
I Think some people are a bit confused about Giants new headtube standard. There was an article on pinkbike a while ago which explained it and said that the actual headtubes haven't changed since last year, only the headset has. So with a different top part of the headset you can use a standard tapered fork.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Perhaps if it were a better colour it would be more all mountain..... (what color is it?)

Seriously, they are more than capable stock and a good alternative for most riders to a reign - lets face it for all the reigns sold not many are doing true downhill work or anthything truly needing 6"+ of travel... a trance would be nicer on a 4-6 hour ride but few would admit that.

For not much dosh you could make a huge ride difference with decent 2.25" or better tyres, 70mm stem and wider bars to make it less xc oriented/weight conscious (ride better). Anything above that is probably only serving to satisfy some internal need we seem to have for updating things.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate get out there and nail it , you will soon c if you need to upgrade and replace things or upgrade things because your replacing things . It should pedal really well for your longer rides , you might just have to firm up the suspension if you find yourself caining it on the bigger stuff , all the no brainer stuff . Maybe brakes tyre choice and stem length will be the fist thing you may change thought preference . It should be a wicked ride , light , pedal well and you have warranty . Remember AM is always a compromise and there is never the perfect bike . B a :pirate:

Kramer

FoBR
i don't need to go bigger on the rear wheel travel because i am getting a "hardcore" am freeride bike early next year this is just a trail light am bike
"Trail light AM bike" = stock TranceX. No mods needed. Just play with suspension setup, and ride it.
Maybe chuck on your fav tyres.

Things I did to my Trance X1 09 in prep for a Euro alps riding trip:

1) 185mm rotor up front
2) MRP bash guard http://www.studionewmedia.com/blog/2008/08/13/mrp_xcg_triple/
which was an absolute life saver as I found my trance sat very low and I was struggling to clear step ups etc without bashing my big chain ring.

that's about all it needs, oh and some chunky tyres. :)

ps oh yeah and full length cable for rear shifter which will actually give you a better routing as well (no sharp bends to go around).

Last edited: