Travel Backpack Advice

chie

Likes Dirt
So I'm planning on a large europe trip. I'll be doing a tour, then spending several weeks in the Greek Isles then to the UK where I'll be working, Anytime time I get off work will be spent either exploring the UK and Europe. Hopefully I'll be coming home in a few years via Sth America, I'm keen on traveling around there a bit as well, maybe 3 or 4 mths. All depends on the money by that stage.

Just started looking at travelpacks, so far I've narrowed it down to the Macpack or One Planet brands. Looking at around 65-75 litre mark. Id prefer to be spending under $450, less if possible.
Does anyone have any experience with these brands or can recommend other brands?

Anyone know of good shops in Sydney to check out when I'm down there? Or when the sales are on? The camping shop in town stocks One Planet, I'd prefer to shop locally and I will if they have a sale on. But the option of shopping in Sydney exists because I'm planning on visiting the relo's before heading off, so can coincide a visit at the same time as a massive sale is on. :D

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Macpac have been around for a long time and are consistently pretty good (have heard that lately quality has been a bit lower, but I haven't experienced it).

If you are coming to Sydney, just wander along Kent St and you'll see pretty much everything there is to see. On one corner there is Paddy Pallin (Macpac, and even better, Osprey, among other brands), directly opposite is Kathmandu, then Mountain Designs, Larry Adler, Mountain Equipment, newish one over the road (can't recall name), then next block Snowgum/Southern Cross (or whatever they are called this week).

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showdetail.php?Code=WELAD

Wilderness Equipment by sea to summit is (specifically the ladahk) is what I used on my trip around the place. By the looks of it i'll still be using it for some time to come.

Very sturdy canvas construction

Come's with detachable back pack of equivalent quality (never attached mine just carried seperately)

Very tough - put up with all my crap and being handled by south american bus boys...kicked along the dirt when i couldn't be bothered picking it up, chucked in the back of the ute for weekends etc.

Good, big, well attached zippers that don't catch stuff and don't split along the seam when you're trying to jam as much crap in as possible

Top and bottom access. VERY IMPORTANT. Nothing worse than packing your bag (for the umpteenmillionith time...you seriously unpack and pack it at least every second day) and realising you're passport is in the bottom and only being able to get into your back from the top. The bottom/side access is necessary.

Fairly waterproof from memory.

Good shoulder and waist straps - you realise how important this is when after you've just trekked and navigated 20 minutes to your "better" hostel you find out its booked out and you have to trek back where you just came from. It also has a strap so you can carry it like a shoulder bag for short distances - i found it very handy.

Most importantly after 3 years now it's still going strong with no sign of giving up the ghost any time soon.

Personally regarding the two brands you mentioned. I nearly ended up with a macpac when I was looking around but they didn't have what I wanted - looked good but I haven't got any experience. The one planets from memory weren't up to scratch and I gave them a miss nearly straight away.

Last edited:

LordNikon

Uber Geek
I've done 2 SE Asia trips in the last couple of years and have taken my MacPac Orient Express on both trips.

It's a brilliant bag, can't recommend them highly enough.

Go the Mac Pac, you wont regret it.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I've had good results from both a Caribou and latterly a Deuter backpack. I prefer my Deuter just because it is very flat (weight stays close to your back) and is hence very manoeverable on buses and trains, and also waterproof enough to keep my stuff dry in SE asia. Macpack have a good reputation but the ones I looked at were a bit primitive in terms of back support, which matters when you like to walk around cities as much as I do.

The volumes range you are looking at sounds about right, but always err on the smaller side ;) Whichever backpack you choose, try to get one with plenty of internal straps, which will keep clean clothes from migrating into the dirty section etc. If you don't like the zip-off packs that come with some traveller's packs (I don't) then look at buying a camping pack which will have less external pockets and gaff. Better for security too!

I'm with Scotty beefs on the one planet range - I recall they were a bit cheap and nasty. I'm also with Lord Nikon on the best place to shop for bags in Sydney, not sure if that is an option for you though!

chie

Likes Dirt
Excellent thanks for the answers.
Lord Nikon, The orient Express is one model I'm looking at. Could you tell me the approx dimensions of it and what size you've got?
The tour I'm going on has a restriction on the dimensions of the bag that is 70cm x 50cm x 25cm and I can't find dimensions on any websites for it.
Paddy Pallin has a easter sale on with it reduced by $70, so I possibly will drop in if I'm down in Sydney to get it fitted etc.

casey79

Likes Dirt
Cant go past Mountain Designs packs they have been to the top of everest dont think no stinking black wolf has.

I have got 3. One for mountaineering, one for bushwalking and one hybrid for travel. I have worked for 6 years guiding here and overseas and have used them more than any meare mortal would in there whole life (hiking with them for 45 weeks of the year). The packs all have a fully adjustable harness and all the features you would need plus more.

MD's are having a club day sale from thurs 22nd till sun 25th. 25% OFF the RRP of anything in the store. All you have to do is join the club. It's FREE to join theclub unlike those kiwis kathmandu and paddys who charge you the privlage to join their mailing list.

One word of warning is that you dont go for a black wolf, annaconda, or carabe pack as they are shite and wont last the years, have below average harness and you will be buying another one after one trip. Spend the money and your bag will last generations.

Kathmandu also tend to over inflate their prices when not on sale and make a killer margin off any shmuck who is silly enough to pay. Then slash the price durin sale but realisticaly sell for what it worth.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

casey79

Likes Dirt
Hi chie. Just saw you are from Armidale. Try Jock at Armidale Outdoors. He has some nice One Planet packs. My misses has one and traveled around europe with one. Tell him Anna sent you.

I still like Mountain Designs though!

Last edited:

flognoffsky

Banned
yer anaconda has heaps of mac pacs and they sell there packs a the rrp but as i said they'll do it cheaper if u find it anywhere else

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I've got a massive 90ltr one planet pack, the 100 denier canvas job, tough as nuts, zip locks, day pack great harness etc.

but its just too big and heavy, i ditched half way through a globe trot and bought a cheap Lowe alpine 60ltr pack from a sports store in Barcelona. And to be honest, apart from the weight, it was just as good. I mean you could see and feel that it wasnt as strong, but unless your are treking through the bush and jungle and throwing your pack around in water and storms etc, then I cant see a need for a really high quality pack.

If you are back packing through towns and cities on buses/trains/planes then dont go over the top. I did, and I regretted spending hundreds on a pack that wasnt necessary.

60 ltrs is more than enough, you'll bring too much shit that you dont use/need/want.

Icarus

Likes Dirt
First off I WORK AT KATHMANDU!

Now thats out of the way, our travel bags are 50% off right now and until 15th of April. We have two major designs, The interloper, a hybrid bag (Hiking shape and harness = very comfy but lots of openings ect) and the Longhaul, less padded, less comfy to carry, but easier to access and live with. The Interloper has been V popular due to the comfort. Both in three sizes, 65, 70 and 75 L.

The Interloper $287

The Longhaul $219

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
I rate my Mountain Designs 75 litre hybrid pack very highly for comfort and accessabillity, and if i remeber correctly it was around your price range. It has been an excellent pack thus far but, if I had my time over again I would have bought the 65 litre and packed less stuff.