travel insurance

bigred86

Likes Bikes
hi!
going to whistler and after recommendations for travel insurance-especially from people who have had to make a claim..was going to go with insure and go until i rang the indian lady up and she said they don't cover "extreme" terrain..asked her what that meant and she said you know rocky and stuff..ha ha.next please!

and yes i did a search.

Joel_32

Likes Dirt
I have used Covermore though not made a claim. I have also used Travel Insurance Direct and had no issues when I had to claim medical for a broken wrist (dr visit, hospital, xrays, etc), though it may have been from falling off my bike onto a 'gravel road' on the North Shore, which was technically correct as that is what I landed on after I had departed ways with my bike mid air.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had my insurance with Covermore when I went last season. It covered all sport as long as it wasn't racing... So just don't stack if you're competing it Phat Wednesday.

I broke my wrist and had no issue making the claims. I called them from my apartment after i'd been to the medical centre to find out what the process was.

Just make sure you have cash/credit cards for any visits to the Whistler Medical Centre, you need to pay for everything and then claim it back when you get home. My wrist cost me about $1500 all up, including consultation, x-rays, cast and a followup consultation for clearance to fly home. When I got home and made the claim I had the money in my account a week later. From what i've heard if you get rushed to Vancouver, you might be able to have the hospital deal with your insurer, but the WMC won't.

In addition to the straight up medical costs, I also had to rebook flights home at a cost of $500, and I forfeited 7 nights accommodation, I made a claim for all of this too and was paid back with the medical bills.

If you do get busted up though and decide to fly home rather than hang around watching everyone else have a sweet time, make sure the doctor gives you a consultation note recommending you return home for further assessment, without this the insurer won't pay the flight/accomm costs.

It's also worth noting that as soon as you get back on Australian soil, your travel insurance doesn't cover your medical expenses... It's all down to your private health cover or medicare, which is why in cases of extreme injury they'll opt to fly you home rather than have you treated in a Canadian hospital, because the cost of getting you home will be a lot less than the surgery bills from Canada.

Hopefully this has been helpful... Have fun man, it's a fucking amazing place. I hope to go back and make it past day 4 before breaking myself.

Reece_STP2

Likes Bikes
I went through Travel Insurance Direct www.tid.com.au when I went to NZ & smashed the shit out of my knee. They covered 2 weeks of accommodation in a mega suite at Rydges Queenstown ($2500), booked out a whole row for me on the plane ride home, paid for my partner to fly back to Aus and have forked out $3000 worth of income protection.

Best $50 bucks I have ever spent!

phillywa

Likes Dirt
Does travel insurance direct and covermore insure bikes?
Im heading over to canada as well. I was leaning towards cycling australia ( i think they're the same as velosure) because they cover both yourself and bike, ive yet to make the call though.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't remember the specifics, but i'm pretty sure covermore included sporting goods as luggage, and covered you for up to $2000, but excluded bikes specifically.

My home and contents insurance covers my bike anywhere in the world though.