• Minimum tavel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on what I'm riding

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dane

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
I ride an ac which has 3 travel settings - 6.0", 5.15" and 4.5" - i have been running it on the 6" setting almost all the time. i was wondering, for those of you with bikes that have a number of settings, what do you run it on the majority of the time?

i'm gonna go wack mine into 5.15" and go for a ride, see how it feels.

-Dane

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
I wonder about bikes with different travel settings that use a coil spring. Every travel setting effectively changes the leverage on the shock. High leverage = long travel, low leverage = short travel. So if your spring rate is just right at one setting it will either be too hard or soft on the other settings. My bike is set in the 8.1" travel setting and feels nice and plush but doesn't bottom. If I go to the 7.?" setting, I notice the ride feels harsher, although it should hardly be noticeable, given the long travel. Then maybe the optimum spring rate is dependent on the type of riding you're doing.

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
My Bikes a Cannondale Gemini.

Saturday 5.5" (Minimum)
Sunday 7" (Maximum)

I do a 3hour XC ride on Saturdays and do DH shuttles on Sundays

Soooo, I suppose I use the full capability of the bike. 8)

Rik

logged out
Done :)

Obviously, I change it depending on what I'm riding. 5" mode for trail/xc-ish stuff, 7" for fooling about... don't touch the 6" setting at all though.

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i run 6.3", i only have 2 settings on mine. i do mainly freeriding, trashing about on it. i would definitely run it in a lower setting if just trail riding tho.

S.

ex offender
Sparkman said:
Then maybe the optimum spring rate is dependent on the type of riding you're doing.
I'd say so... what would be the point of having a bike set at say 4" if it was going to have the same sag, poor pedalling etc as it would at 6"? You'd lose the extra travel, and gain nothing.

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
Sparkman said:
I wonder about bikes with different travel settings that use a coil spring. Every travel setting effectively changes the leverage on the shock. High leverage = long travel, low leverage = short travel. So if your spring rate is just right at one setting it will either be too hard or soft on the other settings. My bike is set in the 8.1" travel setting and feels nice and plush but doesn't bottom. If I go to the 7.?" setting, I notice the ride feels harsher, although it should hardly be noticeable, given the long travel. Then maybe the optimum spring rate is dependent on the type of riding you're doing.
Yep, that's right. Changing the travel changes the lever ratio and the rising rate characteristics. If you're really into your suspension you'll have the spring rate correct for your most common type of travel that you use, set up for your weight and riding style/type etc.

Most people who go to the point of setting up the perfect spring rate front and back would be leaving it that way. Say, DH only bike. Still, a good compromise could be achieved as well.

I don't know what most bikes are like, but if they are anything like Sportsbikes they tend to be based on 60kg Japanese test riders. Barf!

Rik

logged out
FuTAnT said:
I don't know what most bikes are like, but if they are anything like Sportsbikes they tend to be based on 60kg Japanese test riders. Barf!
:lol:
Unfortunately, that's true for MTBs too... the industry thinks everyone is a sub 70kg beanpole. Which may be so for XC riders, but what's the go with DH-worthy components specced for flyweights?

When I change travel settings, I change my spring (and hence damping) to suit... it's the only way to do it properly. Cranking up the preload heaps for a longer travel setting only makes the bike feel like crap.

MrPlow

TMBC
I have my Raceline DH set at 6" travel. The 7" setting may be plusher, but it doesn't pedal anywhere near as well and it also raises the bb height and the head angle. I tried it in 7" and it was ok. but went back to 6" travel and backed the spring off and it rails nicer. Besides I only have 6" front travel anyway, so why bother with 7" at the back??

Ty

Eats Squid
MrPlow said:
I have my Raceline DH set at 6" travel. The 7" setting may be plusher, but it doesn't pedal anywhere near as well and it also raises the bb height and the head angle. I tried it in 7" and it was ok. but went back to 6" travel and backed the spring off and it rails nicer. Besides I only have 6" front travel anyway, so why bother with 7" at the back??
ever seen a v10 with a boxxer (7/10) and that works out fine or how about a hardtail with a 5 inch fork (5/0) which works great too, again it all comes down to what your riding, and balancing the feel the feel/action of the travel not the amount.

Joly Joe Rider

Likes Dirt
Changing leverage on the rear suspension, changes the stroke which the shock piston travels through. The faster and further it travels the greater the valving will try to resist that motion. so when setting up your suspension for shorter travel, check your bound shock settings firts. Other wise, if you fiddle with your spring rates, you will have to change everything.

bazza

look at me
i reakon they just drilled 3 holes in my norco team dh because they could. i mean who in there right mind (apart from some crazy ass doped up canadians) are going to ride this beat up a hill (the lower travel setting 5.5). unless they have the worlds largest legs in the world. so mine stays on 8 all the time. i did change it to 7 at one stage because i felt the bike was too high for me, but i got over it and put it on max rear travel. but cannondale man your crazy. 3 hour xc ride on one of them....crazyy me thinks. but than again it IS a cannondale.