Trek 2017

bear the bear

Is a real bear
So..... I know a couple of other brands have a 2017 thread started so I thought I would start one for Trek.

A shop I'm involved with here in Canberra is a Trek Dealer and they had Trek World here as well this week at EPIC and an industry demo day at Stromlo.

A couple of the shop guys went to the demo day and had rides on the 2017 Remedy, Fuel EX, Top Fuel, and a Domane disc.

Biggest takeaway is that there is now a clear differentiation between the Top Fuel and Fuel Ex with the latter now being a true trail bike, long and slacked out.

I scored a display Top Fuel 9.8SL which replaces my Niner Jet RDO and gets its first proper ride tomorrow in the AM.

Other bike that is really interesting is the new carbon 'stach. I currently have a fat bike, but here in Canberra it's really not the place for it, great fun just not fast enough

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I was kind of hoping the Fuel Ex would remain the same.. it's now a big jump between the Top Fuel and Fuel EX. I was really aiming at that 'long-legged' XC bike which I could ride 'trails' on, but also do the occasional marathon and be reasonably competitive

Will have to keep an eye out for the 2016 model, second hand!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Seems the trend for the next marketing run is putting 29 inch wheels on bikes aimed at gravity riding (enduro........). It didn't work five years ago when the marketing folks were sacked but it's worth trying again? Lame.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
I think you spelt "same" wrong

Seems the trend for the next marketing run is putting 29 inch wheels on bikes aimed at gravity riding (enduro........). It didn't work five years ago when the marketing folks were sacked but it's worth trying again? Lame.
As in "same old, same old"
Don't worry, just like with 27.5" wheels, the sheep will be easily convinced that there is a revolution happening......

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Ride one of these please:

Yes please. That thing sounds like a monster.

Someone better page specialized and tell them the E29 was a flop...

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard

A lot has changed over 5 years. Did you see Jared Graves performance at the last EWS aboard a Stumpjumper 29??

I think the new Fuel EX looks like a brilliant bike, cock bloke or not.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A lot has changed over 5 years. Did you see Jared Graves performance at the last EWS aboard a Stumpjumper 29??

I think the new Fuel EX looks like a brilliant bike, cock bloke or not.
I did see it and yes, it was bloody brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I think some of these enduro 29ers do look awesome but I'll never suggest a wheel size is what determined the difference in a race between first and second, especially in a world level event. The dude hanging onto the handlebars is the big difference in that topic. ;)

bear the bear

Is a real bear
So out of the three shop blokes:
-1 is going a Fuel EX9.8;
-2 are going a Remedy 9.

Comment on the Remedy is that for such long legs it pedals really well.

First ride on the Top Fuel this morning, surprised how plush and much traction there is from the rear. The Fox fork, not so much like as I am coming off a pike and this doesn't have the small bump sensitivity.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So out of the three shop blokes:
-1 is going a Fuel EX9.8;
-2 are going a Remedy 9.

Comment on the Remedy is that for such long legs it pedals really well.

First ride on the Top Fuel this morning, surprised how plush and much traction there is from the rear. The Fox fork, not so much like as I am coming off a pike and this doesn't have the small bump sensitivity.
In fairness..... coming from a Pike (120/130/140/150mm?) to a 100mm Fox 32, i cant imagine there is a fair case to compare.
2 totally different forks for 2 very different types of riding.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
In fairness..... coming from a Pike (120/130/140/150mm?) to a 100mm Fox 32, i cant imagine there is a fair case to compare.
2 totally different forks for 2 very different types of riding.
True, true...
It was a 120mm pike, but Fox are known to be a more plush fork in general in the 32mm size so was just surprized. I might play with the air chamber spacers this weekend...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It was a 120mm pike, but Fox are known to be a more plush fork in general in the 32mm size so was just surprized. I might play with the air chamber spacers this weekend...
Fox forks are plush? Bit late for April fools cobber. ;)

slimjim1

True, true...
Put bulk spacers in there and drop the pressure. My 120mm 34's came with six spacers installed and I wasn't getting anywhere near full travel. I've been dropping it down and now they are easily as plush as my old pikes.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Put bulk spacers in there and drop the pressure. My 120mm 34's came with six spacers installed and I wasn't getting anywhere near full travel. I've been dropping it down and now they are easily as plush as my old pikes.
How many spacers are you running? I'm just about to grab some 120mm 34's myself... Saw they come with 6 spacers, but say 7 max.

slimjim1

How many spacers are you running? I'm just about to grab some 120mm 34's myself... Saw they come with 6 spacers, but say 7 max.
I have six and think it's perfect. Took me a while playing around with pressures, mainly dropping it down progressively. These are the shortest travel forks I've ever had and they feel really good, don't miss my pikes at all.