Trek remedy 6 or 5 Vs. Giant reign 2

tateops

Likes Bikes
hey everyone
im getting a new bike and i have narrowed it down to two.
I just want some feed back or advice on which bike to buy i know that the trek comes with a nice warranty but the giant has the new maestro suspension oh well i think both these bikes are great but i need to decide on one the reason i picked these two is they are both light bikes with 6 inch rear travel and around
5 - 6 on the front im going to use the bike for some free ride light downhill and xc thanks for the help people
which bike??

Last edited:

Trialsguy

Rhythm Imports
Just had a go on the Remedy 66 the other day and was very impressed with the ride and geometry.
Its a super easy bike to throw around and pedals really well for 6" front and rear.
The only change I would have made is to a shorter stem and riser bar combo, but thats just personal preferance.

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does the remedy have the pivot(s) above the rear axle or does it rely on frame flex like the fuel? Cause if it rely's on frame flex........poo.

slo

Likes Dirt
MUGEN said:
Does the remedy have the pivot(s) above the rear axle or does it rely on frame flex like the fuel? Cause if it rely's on frame flex........poo.

im fair sure trek only use that design on the 3inch or less travel hardcore XC racer bikes. thru their R and D theyve found that with 3inches or less of travel, a 'fixed' rear end is more efficient.

Yeti

Pro Rider
Giant now has a lifetime warranty on their frames from 2006 on. They are under certain restrictions thought...not sure how they compares to that of Treks lifetime warranty conditions.

tateops

Likes Bikes
thanks guys umm im pretty sure trek has life time on the frame and 3 years on the componets and the frame is made in the usa but still i dont know if i wanna pay extra for something like that

Sov

Likes Dirt
I've done a bit of research on the Reign as I was looking at getting one a while back (ended up buying a second hand Santa Cruz:) )

Apparently the pivots have some durability problems - there's a big thread on forums.mtbr.com about it. Do a search and you'll find it. Supposedly Enduro make a pivot kit that solves the problems.

Another thing was that the Oz market '06 Reign is an '05 frame - if you look at Giant's US website their Reign has a redesigned downtube/bottom bracket area. That kinda bugged me as it seemed as if Giant were dumping all of their obsolete '05 frames on Australia.

Not sure about the Remedy, but it looks pretty swish on Trek's website. Have you had a look at the '06 Specialized Enduros? Or maybe the Norco Six or Fluid?

tateops

Likes Bikes
i looked at the fluid but i decided that was a little light for what i wanted and i didnt mind the 6 but i thought it could be a bit heavy, im thinkin if im gonna have a heavy bike i want one with some serious travel i will check out the specilised do you know what price they are around?? and how they speck compared to the giant and the trek

Kreaky

Likes Dirt
Go the Trek, Its an awesome do all bike and the geo is perfect!

Treks also have a 3 year parts warrarnty and a lifetime warrarnty on the frame!
Get the Trek, You won't look back!

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tateops said:
i looked at the fluid but i decided that was a little light for what i wanted and i didnt mind the 6 but i thought it could be a bit heavy, im thinkin if im gonna have a heavy bike i want one with some serious travel i will check out the specilised do you know what price they are around?? and how they speck compared to the giant and the trek
check that link http://www.vicmtb.com.au/store/06bikes/specialized/
price and specs for the 06 enduros.

tateops

Likes Bikes
i was also wondering how much the bearing replacement kit costs cause i heard that, that is a must to do to the reign and also the fact is $1000 worth it to get the remedy like value for money

tateops

Likes Bikes
ahh ok thats good cause it seems like only around $100 and the reign would be going strong and then i can just chuck a new fork on it later with a bith more travel like a nixon

STS01

Likes Dirt
I've been following this thread with interest since I'm looking at getting a similar bike soon. At the moment it looks like a Reign 1 or 2 for me but I've compared specs etc of a few of the bikes mentioned and I think the bikes that seem to offer the best value for money are:

Reign 2- No bob maestro suspension, Revelation fork, mostly XT, Juicy 5's, DT/Mavic wheels (~$3000)

or

Mongoose Teocali Super- Pike 454, SRAM X9, Sun rims, Avid Juicy 7's (~$3700)

From there it's a fair jump in price to the other bikes people have been suggesting like the Remedy 6 and Enduro Elite:

Trek Remedy 6- Hayes 9's, Nixon fork, otherwise similar spec to Reign 2 but ~$4000.

Spec Enduro Elite-Fox DHX Air 4.0,Fox Float RL fork, 130mm travel, Juicy 5, brakes with 8"/7" discs,SRAM X-9, 22/32 rockguard front gearset. (~$4200)

This is getting into the territory where you could get a Reign 1 with Pikes, Crossmax wheels etc (~$4200)

The cheaper enduro and remedy look pretty lame in comparison:

Spec Enduro- 120mm forks, mechanical brakes, basic spec ($3k)

Trek Remedy 5- 110mm fork, SRAM X-7, Hayes 9's (~$3600)

The Remedy 5 looks more like it would compete with the Reign 3 which is only about $2200.

Disclaimer: These are all just published prices- maybe deals are available on some bikes more than others...