Trek Top Fuel 8 2010 Build

jmacbrid

Likes Dirt
I have recently got back into riding which all started with my LBS purchase, an entry level Cannondale SL Trail 29er (being transformed into a commuter). After a few rides I was hooked again and wanted to build a bike that I could use in a few XC races next year.

Reason I wanted to build a bike, was just because I never have before, I have most of the tools and some of knowledge. So though it would be a great idea to give it go. Now the aim of the build is make XC/weekend machine that is durable, not too heavy and isn't going to break the bank. So I will be using a lot of 2nd hand parts from here or Fleabay.

After searching and researching for a month I was lucky enough to come past a Trek Top Fuel 8 frame, purchased from a member on here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413791552.118688.jpg

Now parts list on the way so far;

SRAM X1 Crankset (2nd hand)
XT M775 Brakes (2nd hand)
Manitou Marvel Pro Tapered 15mm (Steal from CRC)
Crank Bros Cobalt 2 Stem and Handlebars (Steal from CRC)
XT M780 Shifters and Mech's (2nd hand)
Cane Creek Headset (So can run Tapered forks)
Pro logic Saddle (Fleabay, 2nd hand)

Parts yet to purchase;
Cassette
Chain
Tyres
Wheelset
Seat post
Pedals

Only thing I am undecided on is to run 1 x 10 or 2 x 10.

gassyndrome

Likes Bikes
Cool project. That should be a ripper. I went 1x10 a while ago and it's awesome for everything I do; most importantly it is silent and light!

Might not have the range for really flat XC depending how good your legs are.

jmacbrid

Likes Dirt
Not really a build thread but it is finished well almost. Need to trim the brake lines and rear mech cable, new seat post and finally some correct fitting spacers for the fork.

But here it is and it is rideable;

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417007058.882410.jpg

So here is the build list, like I said nothing spectacular but good enough to get the job done!

Trek Top Fuel ex 8 frame used, $400
Manitou Marvel Pro tapered forks new, $267
Cane Creek headset new, $65
Sram X1 Cranks used, $150
SLX M665 Brakes NOS, $40
Crank Bros 2 Stem and Handlebars new, $35
XT wheelset with Nobby Nics used, $160
SLX ice tech rotors new, $60
SLX Shadow Plus new, $45
XT cassette and KNC chain, $60
XT Rear shifter used, $20
Pro logic saddle used, $35
Token Grips new, $12
Shimano SPD pedals new, $45
XTR gear cabling set new, $30
Narrow wide Blackspire chainring new, $55
Extras bottle cage, brake mounts, frame savers $50
Seat post and collar used, free

All up I spent just over $1,500, for I think is a reasonable build. Saved a lot money buying selected parts as bargains especially the wheels as they only had 500kms of riding on them. Would I build a bike again, yes! I do have enough parts to build another bike from a frame and fork as I changed direction so it could happen sooner than later.

Looking forward getting it out there and hitting the trails.

jmacbrid

Likes Dirt
Just weight it at 11.90KG with pedal, could shave off 200 to 500grams with seat post, seat collar, lighter pedals. So really happy with that figure.

Snockers

Likes Bikes
Looking Great!

Awesome to see this bike built up again, glad that it's gone to a good new home!

That's a great weight to start with, I think I had it down to 11.6 with XTR wheels and relatively heavy M520 pedals...

How is it riding?

jmacbrid

Likes Dirt
Rides great! just seized the rear XT hub (axle being replaced), so will be investing in a new wheel set in the near future after the XT dies. Still yet to upgrade the seat post and collar but I will get around to it