Trek Top Fuel & Procaliber2016

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The Procaliber is a bit so-so... you can get the benefit it offers from a flexy seatpost whereas the new BMC solution actually sags the rear triangle, giving compliance and a small amount of extra traction

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Totally agree Acko, will be interested to see whether people go for it.
I'm sure it's fantastic as a 3rd bike, but it's almost a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist for the general public.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I also don't see the need for Boost spacing on a bike that is bred to be a top tier UCI XC machine.
You don't have the need for the wider chainline for tyre clearance when you're running 2.1" semi slicks!

I also don't buy into the BOOST 148 claims of a wheel "as stiff as a 650b" argument. A well built wheel in alloy OR carbon is stiff enough for this application.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Why have a new standard of 148

150 has been around for years

If it is for better 1 x ? Chain line then we have all been doing it for years

11mms of compliance - get a flexy post and let 3 psi out of your tyres

The changes on the road bike look good but seriously a lot of fluff and unnessesary changes

Feel sorry for all those who drunk the hype for every other standard pushed by Trek. Your bike is now superseded

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
I, for one, have bought into the hype and welcome our new boost 148 overlords and the shorter chainstays they will bring.

I expect 110x15 and 12x148 are going to be the new std as it will allow manufacturers to offer bikes that can fit 29" and 27.5+ wheels.

I could be wrong though, that happened once before.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why have a new standard of 148

Its actually very different to 150mm. 150mm doesnt specify any cup for the dropout. Its all about the dropout cupping for split pivot.
142 is the bad standard it specifies the cupping but offers no actual improvment in the hub for the increased width.

im currently riding a domane and the iso speed is sick. Not sure how the procaliber will be you will be able to sit and pedal easier through more rough stuff. I think it highlights how good 100mm dualies are now for racing.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it highlights how good 100mm dualies are now for racing.
More than anything, this was what I was looking at. I ride a pretty high end, but standard Hardtail. This top fuel is 600g lighter. I'd love to throw a leg over it!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Its actually very different to 150mm. 150mm doesnt specify any cup for the dropout. Its all about the dropout cupping for split pivot.
142 is the bad standard it specifies the cupping but offers no actual improvment in the hub for the increased width..
I have no idea what the cup for dropout is but trust it is important enough to warrant another new standard from Trek.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I have no idea what the cup for dropout is but trust it is important enough to warrant another new standard from Trek.

Cup up might not be the right word?

150mm DH bikes have no steps on the inner faces of the dropouts, locating the wheel while installing the wheel requires some skill and attention.

Other standards have a step on the inside face of the dropout, the dropouts sits on the hubs end caps without the bolt/skewer in place

150mm vs 142mm

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Been thinking about another bike. Only ride hardtail at the moment. While I am more than happy with the hardtail, over the longer races the back is no longer what it used to be. The new fuel looks good but would love to get a ride on one first (come on demo days)
Also the Turner czar is on the list of bikes to try.
Anyone in Vic riding a Turner Czar I may be able to throw the leg over?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
142 is the bad standard it specifies the cupping but offers no actual improvment in the hub for the increased width.

im currently riding a domane and the iso speed is sick. Not sure how the procaliber will be you will be able to sit and pedal easier through more rough stuff. I think it highlights how good 100mm dualies are now for racing.
If what you mean is 142 was good because it specified a cup and allowed a solid axle without the need for new hubs then I totally agree....
Properly built wheels are plenty stiff

Iso speed has found a solution to a problem that was solved long ago with compliant seat posts.... think Ti or the Syntace P6/Niner RDO/Others....