Trek X-Caliber 8 a good entry level bike?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I've been able to stretch my budget a little and was looking at getting the X-Caliber 8 from Trek. It's about $1200. A few reviews online have given it the thumbs up.
I know it's heavy and it's colour scheme is weird but is it a good value bike? The only other bike I've been looking at is the Cell Awaba 1.0 but that's a online bike with minimal after sales support it does have good running gear tho.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was a few trek Superfly 5 and 7's around from 2014 and I had a mate who picked up a 7 in large for about $300 more than your current suggested ride, which is better all round bike.

There is nothing wrong with the x-cal IMO but hunt around there are heaps of options around the 1-1.5k mark.

Dicky

Punter God
Cell have two complete bike shops in Sydney and Melbourne, and their after sales support will be top notch. I haven't bought a bike from them, but the guy who designed the Awaba (and several of their other rigs) is an old bike shop workmate, and has been heavily involved in the industry and Sydney trail advocacy for close to 15 years. There's an engineering degree in there too. He's also a dude, and a ridiculously skilled rider.

They're a far better option than buying from overseas.
Sure the frame might not carry the same brand recognition as the big kids, but it's still a solid option.

(/shameless plug)

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the help. The Awaba was high on my buy list bit they have no shops in Adelaide. Equipment wise they seem unbeatable. Just can't test ride them.

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
I have a 2012 X-Cal and can't fault it. I just ride for fun/fitness, mainly local dirt roads & a rail trail close to home, rides usually vary between 40-70km, its great for that type of riding. It feels pretty snappy when I can be arsed putting in some effort and throwing it around though, more bike than my shite skills can handle.

I've replaced tyres/chain/pads as they have worn and have had the fork serviced, but apart from that done bugger all to the bike. Keep it clean/lubed and it still looks like new. I have been tossing up whether or not to go 1x on the drive train as I'm rarely out of the middle ring for the terrain I ride, but I figure I'll cross that bridge when stuff really starts to wear out.
The Elixir 1 brakes on it aren't that flash, have done a few bleeds but just can't seem to get them feeling right for me. Next time they need a bit of love I'll probably swap them over to something else.

Definitely get out and test ride a few bikes though, I tried a few Giants & Specialized's and found the X-Cal the most comfortable in that price range, plus the bike shop were good to deal with which helped seal the deal.