Trend Whores !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BansheeTwoTwelve

Likes Dirt
What are your thoughts on the dumb ass trends going around, that every 14 year old that thinks he can ride has to follow.

Includes
-Slamming the Seat
WTF? Yes, its a good idea if you are dirt jumping, and requite almost no seat, fair enough, but when some dumb ass does it, and hes riding around sitting with obvious spine problems. Espesialy funny when they have gone to the trouble of cutting the seat tube and dropping the value of their frame 50%

-Lowering Forks
Another WTF? Frames are built for a certain travel range, in which a NS Suburban is fine with 80mm travel. However its another "l4wlzz" when there is some kid, rolling EVERY SINGLE JUMP with a set of lowerd Argyles down to 60mm thinking hes the best of the best.

Ask him why they are so low
"it looks kewl and that guy that is awesum is doing it so i think it wil make me go fasteeer"

Ok, I shall quit my bitching... Your thoughts ?

Oh, I'm not sure if this is in the right section, Its kind right on the fence between Off Topic and General

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im with ya on a certain level...

like with the lowering of things, it pisses me off when people do it because they saw some one do it and thought it was cool, but when they actually do it because thats how they prefer, thats ok...

like if i were to ask someone why there forks were lowered, and the response was:

I lowered them because the head angle was way to slack, id be like sweet.

but if some little scenester*cough Ben Cough* said i did it for teh funzoarz id be swingin...

so, in conclusion to this semi rant, if things are done for the way they feel, not the way they make you or your bike appear, then thats ok with me =)

BansheeTwoTwelve

Likes Dirt
im with ya on a certain level...
I lowered them because the head angle was way to slack, id be like sweet.
That is one of the ONLY acceptible responses there is, and not many give it.

But yes, if someone gave that reason, id also be "werd maaaan, that be teh shizzle ya gots there" :D

BansheeTwoTwelve

Likes Dirt
Oh and one more Trend....

NO FRONT BREAK !!!111!!!!11!

One of the dumbest of all, kid cant stop on anything exept tar because he aint got a front break. Funniest of all, I've never seen "The Offender's" bars go past 60 degrees past straight.

Cant they stand up for themselves and say "My bike is my bike, and I shall have it how I like it"

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NO FRONT BREAK !!!111!!!!11!
I can't take anything you type seriously. If anything you, yourself, are following the trend of being 'different', refusing to partake in some 'trends' that may well be beneficial to your setup?

I have a slammed seat.
I rode brakeless.
I don't run a front brake.
I'm considering lowering my forks.
I have bullet valve caps.

What are you going to do about it? :)

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
before anyone says "FlAt BaRs are tEh shItTest" lets set the record strait

you don't like them because they aren't aesthetically pleasing to you, thats fine but it doesn't mean they are shit!

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Up there with all of this is running xc forks on a cro-mo frame. About as stupid as qr on the front and a bolt up rear for 'stiffness'...

Oh wait a sec...:rolleyes:

Although I'm posting in this thread i still think you are a douche banshee14315435twelve

BansheeTwoTwelve

Likes Dirt
I can't take anything you type seriously. If anything you, yourself, are following the trend of being 'different', refusing to partake in some 'trends' that may well be beneficial to your setup?

I have a slammed seat.
I rode brakeless.
I don't run a front brake.
I'm considering lowering my forks.
I have bullet valve caps.

What are you going to do about it? :)
I've thought of it that way aswell, If being different is trend them I sure am guilty of it.

I can however proudly say I dont look like a wanker when I make my daily comute to school on my banshee. I am and look comfortable when I ride.

As for you listing what "Trends" you have on your bike. Its the people can lower their forks for a good reason and dont run a front break for a reason that are setting the trends, and because they are pinnin' or pulling out some sweet tricks, thats why the trend whores are following the trends that have been set.

It seems to go in an endless circle, that is unbelievably hard to explain, I bet you can work it out for yourself ?

EDIT:

Oh and if my setup needs one of these trends, I am following it for a good reason, and my "Semi Rant" no longer includes me, or anyone else in that situation for that matter

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Trends (majority) exist for a reason. Cos they're better.

What about downhill trends? Wide bars, light parts? Why do they exist?

cluster

Likes Dirt
I don't really get the whole "wide bars are better" thing... I mean I know science says you get better leverage on the front wheel and all, but if you're comfortable and capable of riding fast with the bars you've got then why get wider ones? :confused:
But I can understand the light parts trend to some extent, eg. easier pedalling and more manoueverable etc, but when it gets down to stuff like carbon spacers on headstems, I just shake my head...

.....and all this coming from a guy who has white stuff all over his bike :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.