Trim weight off my 06 demo 8

sampo1

Likes Dirt
Hey guys im running an 06 Demo 8 at the moment. It is a bit of a tank and im looking to trim some weight off. I know its not a particularly light frame but what would be the best option the get rid of some of the weight.
Thanks heaps
sampo

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
demo's arent that heavy a frame, though its thought they are.
things like xc tubes or tubeless, roadie cassete seat and post, light stem and bars, and wheel make a huge difference in overall wieght and how the bike handles.
air forks?

whats the spec and whats the budget

sampo1

Likes Dirt
Frame - 06 Demo 8
Rear shock - Fox Dhx 4
Front shock/fork - Fox 40 Rc4 07
Handlebars - Deity
Stem - Truantiv Husselfelt
Headset - Cane Creek
Grips - Jet Black
Saddle - Odyssey
Seatpost - Syncros
Front brake - Juicy 5 203mm
Rear brake - Juicy 5 203 mm
Cranks -Holtfeller
Chainguide - e 13
Chain -
Pedals - Shimano XC
Rear derailleur - Sram x5
Rear shifter - X7
Front hub - Specialized
Rear hub - SPecialized
Front rim - MAvic 325 Disk
Rear rim - Sun rims mtx
Spokes -
Nipples -
Tyres - Minions
Tubes -
Total weight - A hell of a lot

Yeah got a budget of around 500$ I was looking at some sunline bars, air force stem etc.
I did year new wheels made a hell of a lot of difference but im not 100% sure of which to get. Thanks

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bars are good, if they're dirty thirtys they're already a very light bar.
stem can go.
do you know if you forks have a steel spring? see if you can find a titanium one if not, i have one lying around.

front rims heavy, get a mavic 721 instead and that would save a couple hundred grams
roadie seat and carbon post of ebay.

that should have a maybe half a kilo?
light xc tubes, or ghetto tubeless.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
-Lighter tubes (Get some generic 1.9's or maxxis flyweight/welterweight or something) or tubeless
-Drop a rotor size on the rear
-Roady casette
-Lightweight seat/post
-New cranks

Anything else wont really be value for money...Your wheels make the most difference, but it will cost you $500+ for a decent wheelset...

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
front rims heavy, get a mavic 721 instead and that would save a couple hundred grams
325: 716g
721: 590g

If you can get a rim cheap it will be fine but at RRP + wheelbuild cost thats going to be about $200...Not exactly value for money, not to mention a 721 will ding easier than a 325...

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wheels are a very big part of how heavy or light a bike feels, so little things like normal or xc tubes are good, (stay away from DH as they weigh almost 500g a tube) this makes a big difference. Tyres are also another factor, go for something with a little bit thinner sidewall compared to a minion, something like a schwalbe. Rims and hubs can also make a huge difference ;).

Another easy weigh to shed some weight is in your seat and seat post, something like a sunline v1 or a SDG Ti-Fly is the way to go, and most likely a thomson post.

Hope this helps you as it did me.