Triple J and it's changing image

John U

MTB Precision
Does the old standard still exist where commercial radio boasts about a new track from whoever and the j's have been playing the track for about 3 months already?

rhyno

Likes Dirt
Totally agree, the only radio station I bother listening too these days.
I'll third that one.

May I suggest listening to the radio on demand function and picking out:
-"All Over The Shop" (two blokes talking shit)
-"Kinky Afro" (good music show with a chick who really knows her shit), either of these will not be too much of a transition from JJJ.
-"JVG Radio Method" Themed radio which is often really funny, and the presenter Jon Von Goes was the celebrant at my wedding...

ondemand.rrr.org.au

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Does the old standard still exist where commercial radio boasts about a new track from whoever and the j's have been playing the track for about 3 months already?
Bounce - Calvin Harris, Triple J played it a fair bit to the point I got sick of it then Nova played it flat out 3 months later. Can't stand that fucking song.

Pandora is pretty decent.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
jjj

The Doctor annoys me so much! If you listen, he one-up's everybody's stories, he just can't help himself.
I love Zan though, she just gets on with it and only really talks music.
"Lewie 'ere with ya!"… I guess he appeals to some, he plays a similar role to Zan, he just has an annoying voice that's all.
Tom and Alex… don't listen to mornings anymore because its like listening to hipster versions of Kyle and Jackie O.
Doctor Karl is an absolute legend, but I just download the podcast and listen later. Same with Hack. I think Sophie is doing an alright job at it, obviously a steep learning curve, at least they offer a different perspective and often talk about social issues that aren't currently politicised.
And I enjoy Home and Hosed if I'm driving in the car late on a weeknight.

JJJ is a mixed bag as far as music goes, but not having ads is enough for me to want to listen to it. Unfortunately my boss is fine with listening to Mix 106.5 or NOVA at work. I can't stand it; all the ads, the douchebaggery, the same song 5 times a day and you can set your watch to their playlist. It just makes me feel dumb listening to it. WSFM is alright, at least you don't hear Call Me Maybe or X-Factor cross promotions and advertising disguised as studio chatter.

static_X3

Likes Dirt
I agree that tom and alex are beyond shit.

But JJJ is still by the far the best station in AUS. Or at least the best of a bad bunch...

Does anyone else have to put up with MMM, 2dayFM, nova etc at work? Im pretty sure that after 8 hrs of ads and that "call me maybe" song you'll be screaming out for some hipster douchebaggery on JJJ.
This......

static_X3

Likes Dirt
One thing worth noting is some policy ABC have with the station of shifting the presenters once they reach a certain age. I've heard that is why a few people have had to leave.

The Adam and Will days were the best for me, they were a hoot.
This also!

mason33

Likes Dirt
Triple J is the only station I can stand listening to and the reason for this is no ads, Doctor Karl and the occasional new song from a new artist that is brilliant. Triple J annoys me at times though, a lot of their content seems to be aimed at teenage girls, very pop and very rarely do I hear anything new from any genre of music I listen to. Parkway drive releases a new album on the 26th, we'll see how much air time they get considering they're an Australian metalcore band doing well on the international scene.

On the presenters Tom and Alex are good for a cheap laugh in the morning when I'm pissed off to be at work, Zan Rowe is a little boring but can be alright if she has an interesting guest in, Lewis McKirdy I'm convinced is retarded, I'm surprised he kept his job after failing bad filling in for Tom and Alex for 2 weeks, the Doctor I'm a little bias towards being a Frenzal fan for the best part of two decades but he does have stupid call in topics and does need someone to bounce back off of, maybe Max Lavergne full time...

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
agree that adam and wil have been the best thing ive experienced during my time listening to jjj. the combination of dick jokes and maths and science references punctuated with reasonable music was the ultimate in breakfast radio imo.

happened across an awesome radio radio station when driving in the US.... kmsa 91.3 fm grand junction... its a student run show and seemed to crank out non stop quality music while i was listening. cant seem to get the listen online functionality working unfortunately, otherwise id be tuning in at work all the time.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
happened across an awesome radio radio station when driving in the US.... kmsa 91.3 fm grand junction... its a student run show and seemed to crank out non stop quality music while i was listening. cant seem to get the listen online functionality working unfortunately, otherwise id be tuning in at work all the time.
Went here http://www.kmsa913.com/, clicked on Listen up on the top left, chose the Broadwave link and it's currently streaming through my Windows Media Player at work.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Despite most of the presenters being inspid, hipster tools, JJJ still does a pretty good job. The Unearthed and Unearthed High, One Night Stand and all the other things they do to promote up and coming music is great. I grew up with JJJ in the 90s when hearing NIN was nearly a daily occurance, but many young people in the 90s were listening to grunge/alternative/metal so naturally that's what received the air play. Now the young guys (I say Young, Im only 29....) are frothing at the mouth over dub step and its various permutations, Hip Hop and that bland, souless version of alternative that Birds of Tokyo spear headed.

Zan Rowe was talking up Frank Zappa the other day, so she gets my vote. The only presenters that really grind my gears are The Doc (for reasons that everyone seems to agree with here), and Linda (Hells yeah! what the fuck? shut up mole) Mariano.

No Adds, and a prety good variety in music makes it a pretty good option. Though I do have my favourite shows on (melbourne radio) PBS and RRR that I tune in to...

Gripo

Eats Squid
Had the J's on in the shed thisarvo while doing bike stuff.....

The Doc interviewed Sara Blascoe (sp) as her album is album of the week, very boring interview/interviewee.... then they played a track....omg

Now I know what album to buy nana for xmas....god almighty, this album is the exact reason J's suck....and the rest of the track list for the arvo was similarly uninspiring....

Com'on someone from the J's who's a Farkiner....(use to be Jim Trail?) enough is enough of the mundane...

Last edited: