Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
aaaannd here comes China to the rescue:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...eks-to-shift-narrative-from-cover-up/12072296

Given the crisis is all but over for them, they'll be back in business within weeks. Trump's going to take the US down for months, not hard to see a power shift to the East in a post-COVID19 world.
I've been saying this at work for the last fortnight and everyone keeps laughing it off. It's been approaching by stealth for years now, this might be when it "goes public".

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
aaaannd here comes China to the rescue:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...eks-to-shift-narrative-from-cover-up/12072296

Given the crisis is all but over for them, they'll be back in business within weeks. Trump's going to take the US down for months, not hard to see a power shift to the East in a post-COVID19 world.
I think China has more problems than you see.

Much to say that they are fudging the figures. They even state that they don't count asymptomatic people as infected.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I think China has more problems than you see.

Much to say that they are fudging the figures. They even state that they don't count asymptomatic people as infected.
I'll accept your take on things as being more informed than mine @johnny.

China may not be out of the woods yet perhaps.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'll accept your take on things as being more informed than mine @johnny.

China may not be out of the woods yet perhaps.
This sorry mess will generate quite a bit of anti-China sentiment globally and I think many countries will re-evaluate their dependencies on thin global supply chains.

Even if China does bounce back quickly then it isn't handy if your major trading partners you need to sell your widgets are all in economic low gear and still infected with your virus.

China has killed it for a long time for cost over quality which people seem to tolerate.

It will all recover over time but I don't see it as a trigger for a New World Order run by China just yet. They will avoid conflict where possible and play tactically, Art of War style, in other ways that doesn't involve firing a single shot.

The PR game has to be played first by the look of it. See how far they go into full Jesus Christ mode and pose as the saviour and not the instigator.

_______

Is an alien from 2007
Putin would be a fool not to capitalise on anit-chinese sentiment in africa limiting their recovery aid soft power projection, if he has the wherewithal. His troll farms should already be looking to get trump back in in a big way; the crisis will drive even more eyeballs to social networks as their most trusted news source over there just like they did in syria in 2012. It might be a moot point if he's really controlling infection domestically or only appearing to, his old enemy to the west is severely weakened and will continue to lack the necessary paranoia to parry him while they try to "be better humans". He played Erdogan well, and that won't stop now.

I think he can like Xi plenty, but that won't stop him seeing a China with independent access to resources in africa and no need for old Vlad as a threat, and much too close for comfort. If they can't forge an alliance (both leaders for life now), the knives will come out. India will try and profit, but with too regional a scope. If the US becomes truly irrelevant south america becomes the next proxy battlefield for them, if europe and brazil don't adapt quickly enough. That's another reason for china to pursue good patronage networks in oceania, as they currently are doing.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
This sorry mess will generate quite a bit of anti-China sentiment globally and I think many countries will re-evaluate their dependencies on thin global supply chains.

Even if China does bounce back quickly then it isn't handy if your major trading partners you need to sell your widgets are all in economic low gear and still infected with your virus.

China has killed it for a long time for cost over quality which people seem to tolerate.

It will all recover over time but I don't see it as a trigger for a New World Order run by China just yet. They will avoid conflict where possible and play tactically, Art of War style, in other ways that doesn't involve firing a single shot.

The PR game has to be played first by the look of it. See how far they go into full Jesus Christ mode and pose as the saviour and not the instigator.
I listened to a talk on geopolitics a few years ago that outlined how globalisation goes in cycles. In the decadent 1920’s, people were travelling everywhere and world trade was huge. Then WW2 came along, everyone went into protectionist mode and hunkered down. The return of globalisation and free markets over the last half century hasn’t really been impacted by much, maybe Trump and his America first policies in more recent times. All the while China has been getting wealthier and more powerful economically and militarily to the extent that they’re on par with the US and are projecting themselves in the region.

Then nature throws the coronavirus curveball at us and there’s a temporary blip in global economic activity. How each country recovers may see a shift in the economic balance among individual nations, but China will still face a united West who will probably want post-coronavirus markets to be less dependent on trade with China. China will obviously do their best to do the opposite. Certainly Australia should have a good hard think about our reliance on China as we recover; we need to rebuild our prosperity from within by being smart again and making stuff, not selling more dirt and CO2.

A return to more protectionist regimes is probably more dangerous though, as that’s how warmongering loonies become popular.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Interesting thread agree w most of it.
Tx Lt Gov Dan Patrick says grandparents would be willing to die to save the economy for their grandchildren
American rich republicans seem to think they wont get sick just the poor and the old will die.
Not sure thats how it works unless you are careful and its not just people v the economy .
People are the economy, if lots get sick and get chronic lung disease or die the economy is stuffed anyway.
The world could become more protectionist after this, if Trump is still president he will blame the Chinese for causing it.
I dont believe the Chinese are really recovered but an authoritarian regime can control the situation a lot better than the USA that thinks that might and individualism will fix it.
My question is once COVID19 is controlled w distancing etc but only 1% of the Chinese population has immunity when do you take your foot off the brake, if no vaccine is forthcoming ?
Same problem for Australia this is a big experiment.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I don’t buy for a second that China intentionally introduced the virus to destabilize the world’s economy and western power.....but Trump seems determined to at least destroy the US.
Wasn't SARS traced to the civet and Covid with the pangolin + bat linkage. Moral of the story, don't eat wildlife, even more so from filthy markets. I know it a very nasty virus and all but doesn't seem to have the higher death rate for Ebola but does have much wider spread.

If you had to get all NWO conspiracy theory then you would want a Ebola hit rate and not a Covid19 to cull population and install the new global government that has been working with aliens from Serpo decades, or something........
China needs the world to buy its stuff in order to grow, so there is no advantage in killing your customers.

Here we go, I love these meme things lately but not sure why............

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I agree a vaccine will come fairly soon and will make a mint but what is the gameplan til then ?.
One step at a time but what happens when we suppress Corona infections but most are vulnerable.
Those memes are a bit of a Pythonesque pisstake , sheesh the the things people say which are wacky.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I agree a vaccine will come fairly soon and will make a mint but what is the gameplan til then ?.
One step at a time but what happens when we suppress Corona infections but most are vulnerable.
Those memes are a bit of a Pythonesque pisstake , sheesh the the things people say which are wacky.
Suppressing to the point where the infection rate is below 1 will see the virus die out rapidly. We can then get cracking with the new normal, keeping our National borders closed for at least 12 months. Anyone coming in needs to be quarantined in a State facility for a designated period. As we know from the high percentage of fuckwits, self quarantine doesn't work.