Trust worthy bike lock?

strauss

Likes Dirt
Hi i was just wondering if any one could reccomend a good strong reliable bike lock?

I have just read the thread of bike thefts and there is no way i want my new Norco (which im still waiting on) stolen.

So any help would be much appreciated

Thanks, steve

PS. i did try a search before hand

Renegade

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you going to keep this lock in the same place at all times or take it with you where you ride. If you are going to keep it stationary where you keep your bike locked up each day I'de suggest a motorbike lock of some sort.

They're heaps big and they just work.. no way of braking them I can tell you now I've used mine to tow my car behind a mates car when it broke down and It held up...

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Good thread!
I recommend Kryptonite Locks, very stong, and if u want even more security get the moto ones.

warrior

Likes Dirt
Nice heavy chain and a heavy padlock from your local hardware store. Put a bit of tube on it so it doesn't scratch your frame. Downside is its to heavy just to ride around with all day with. My mate just leaves his locked to the rack at school :)

StormFire

Likes Dirt
In the world of locks, reliability and money tend to go hand in hand.

Basically any lock can be gotten through, it's just a matter of how long it takes them, and how much of a deterent it is, and whether they're willing to have a crack at your lock with it's location in mind (ie. where you lock up your bike is nearly just as important as the lock that you use).

As you spend more on a lock they will get harder to get through, and will keep your pride and joy relatively safe(er) compared to a cheaper lock, but just remember that if a theif has the time, that they will get through anything eventually.

I myself use a Kryptonite Gorgon lock, which cost me around $100 when i bought it a few years back. It's basically a reinforced cable look, it has a bit of weight to it, but it's big enough that you can wear it over your shoulder as you ride so the weight isnt too much of a hindrance. I've had no trouble with my bike whene i've locked it up at uni, and know a couple of others that use the same lock and have never had any issues either.

There are plenty of alternatives out there though, it's all just a matter of how much you're willing to spend.

Dhercj

Likes Dirt
Motor bike lock is the way to go. Would take hours and hours to get through them. If your gunna leave it somewhere like an alley way or somewhere that there are not many people well then yeh, more chance of it being nicked. Recomend keeping it in sight and if your gunna get one that you wanna take around with you, get one that is thick and has a 5 star security rating on it.

My 2 cents

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Motor bike lock is the way to go. Would take hours and hours to get through them. .....
Singletrack Magazine
"The Kryptonite New York (Fahgettaboudit)lock is still the toughest lock we've ever seen..."
Singletrack Magazine (UK), August, 2006

What Mountain Bike? GOLD award
"The benchmark by which all other locks should be judged (New York 3000)."
WhatMountainBike (UK), February, 2004

--- Even then the "gold standard" Kryptonite New Yorker could be cut through in under 5 minutes with the right tools.

It took me less than 20 seconds to cut through a padlock shackle with a cutting wheel on a cordless drill.

Last edited:

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is from the Kryptonite site:

Proper Lock-Up Tips for Bicycles

1. Always lock your bike, especially at home (even in the garage, apartment building or college dorm).

2. Lock to a fixed, immovable object like a parking meter or permanent bike rack. Be careful not to lock to items that can be easily cut, broken or removed. Be careful that your bike cannot be lifted over the top of the object to which it is locked.

3. Lock in a visible and well-lit area.

4. Lock in a location where there are other bikes. The chances are better that there will be a bike with a less secure lock than yours. Thieves will usually go for the easiest target.

5. When using a U-lock, position your bike frame and wheels so that you fill or take up as much of the open space within the U-portion of the lock as possible. The tighter the lock up, the harder it is for a thief to use tools to attack your lock.

6. Always position a U-lock so that the keyway is facing down towards the ground. Don't position the lock close to the ground. This makes it easier for a thief to attack it.

7. Always secure your components and accessories, especially quick-release components, with a secondary cable lock.

8. Don't lock your bike to itself (the front wheel locked to frame). It can be easily lifted and carried away.

9. Don't lock in the same location all the time. A thief may notice the pattern and target your bike.

10. Don't lock to anything posted illegal. Check with area law enforcement agencies for local bike parking regulations.

11. Always check your lock before leaving your bike to be sure you have secured it properly.

12. For the greatest theft deterrence, use two locks such as a U-lock and a locking cable. The longer it takes a thief to get through your bike security, the less likely your bike will be stolen.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know it's very old news but I hope Kryptonite addressed the locking mechanism after the ballpoint incident in '04. My preference is for ABUS, can't remember the model:eek: though. I do use relatively cheap combination locks on occasion I generally use two at a time or combine a cable and a U lock, no incidents so far. (touching wood in an inappropriate fashion:) )

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ABUS here too...i had a krytonite and a friend of mine picked it in under 1 minute, it was a keyless one.

the ABUS one is so strong and so heavy...costed me around $100

cellardoor

Likes Dirt
When I got my bike I asked the guy at the LBS and he siad "If you want to keep your bike, get a D lock"
So I did. But the thing is so damm annoying to carry around. Id much prefer a chain or cable I could sling over my shoulder or round my waist or something. Are D locks really that much harder to get into then cables/chains?

tu plang

knob
I know it's very old news but I hope Kryptonite addressed the locking mechanism after the ballpoint incident in '04. My preference is for ABUS, can't remember the model:eek: though. I do use relatively cheap combination locks on occasion I generally use two at a time or combine a cable and a U lock, no incidents so far. (touching wood in an inappropriate fashion:) )
ABUS was going to be my tip too. Of what ive seen from different brands etc its good value and look tough as hell. Luckily we have a pretty good set up at uni for bike storage, otherwise id be running one of these locks.

strauss

Likes Dirt
Are you going to keep this lock in the same place at all times or
i was going to use it just for inside my flat that is on the ground floor and just lock it to a anchor thats boted in to the wall or floor (both are concrete)

giles666

Likes Bikes
I think it's worth mentioning that bike insurance is pretty damn cheap and you essentially get a new bike if your lock fails.

Also covers it if it gets trashed shuttling etc. (just not while riding).

Cheers

G.

synrgy

Likes Dirt
is it possible to just insure your bike ?

I rent and am thinking of getting renters insurance, does anyone know if we can include it in that ??