DH Try Hard Socom (Intense Uzzi VPX) - Action video added 9th October 2011

DH'er_28

Likes Dirt
October 9th: Action vid up now as well. My brother is also in the vid, riding an intense m3.

[video=youtube;0gAMrrLkVoE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gAMrrLkVoE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

UPDATE 13 September 2011

Ok well here's my try hard Socom, my trusty Uzzi VPX. Seeing as the thread has been bumped up I may as well update it.
New parts:
Sun ringle ADD wheelset
Azonic 420 pedals (awesome btw)
New E13 guide
New chain, cassette

NEW ACTION PICS

Bike has been running sweet, very happy with the new pedals and wheels, had them for a few months and they are both running sweet as. Very happy with it.

OLD ORIGINAL POST:

Well I've had this bike for a while and my last thread was ages ago and there have been a fair few updates so I made a new thread. I've gone from originally boxxers, to totems, then back to boxxers and I must say the 2010 ones are amazing. So here she is, comments appreciated:

UPGRADES AS OF SEPTEMBER 2011 ARE IN RED
Frame - Intense Uzzi VPX
Rear shock - Fox DHX 5
Front shock/fork - 2010 Boxxer Team
Handlebars - Gravity 800's cut to 750
Stem - Truvativ Holzfeller direct mount
Headset - Token reducer
Grips - ODI ruffian NOW ODI ROGUE
Saddle - WTB
Seatpost - Truvativ team
Front brake - Avid Code
Rear brake - Avid Code
Cranks - Holzfeller
Chainguide - E13 SRS NOW E13 LS1
Chain - Shimano NOW SRAM PC SOMETHING
Pedals - 50/50's with pointed pins NOW AZONIC 420
Rear derailleur - Sram X9
Rear shifter - Sram X9
Cassette - Shimano NOW SRAM PG SOMETHING
Front hub - Formula NOW SUN RINGLE JUMPING FLEA
Rear hub - Ringle NOW SUN RINGLE JUMPING FLEA
Front rim - MTX NOW MTX 31
Rear rim - MTX NOW MTX 31
Spokes - DT Swiss
Nipples - Something
Tyres - Front: Michelin DH24, Rear: Maxxis Minion (in photo it's a michelin)
Tubes - Maxxis DH
Total weight - Dunno, mid to low 18's?

Action Pics with old forks (and in the first pic, old brakes):

Last edited:

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Nice, my mate has one of these and is currently looking at trying to make it more DH worthy. Thinking custom dropouts and some other fancy mods. Do you find yours a little tall/steep?

My they do jump and pedal well for a rig with so much travel

DH'er_28

Likes Dirt
Nice, my mate has one of these and is currently looking at trying to make it more DH worthy. Thinking custom dropouts and some other fancy mods. Do you find yours a little tall/steep?
Yeah I find it has a relatively steep head angle for a dh bike, however cornering is my favourite part of riding and for this it's great. I tried an Intense M3 for a few dh runs which was longer and slacker, awesome through rocks and high speed but a bit sluggish through corners. So for the majority of stuff the uzzi is great.
In regards to being tall, the front end is quite low because the top half of the headset is zero stack, and I've got a direct mount stem. The front end was actually a fair bit lower than the M3 I tried because that had a 1 1/8" head tube, and also some 888's which had a higher axle to crown height than my boxxers.

They're great bikes, and not many people have them. Most people who see it think it's a Socom at first, until they take a closer look.

Edit: Also I think you can buy dropouts which make it the head angle slacker, can't remember where I saw them though.

Last edited:

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Yeah I find it has a relatively steep head angle for a dh bike, however cornering is my favourite part of riding and for this it's great. I tried an Intense M3 for a few dh runs which was longer and slacker, awesome through rocks and high speed but a bit sluggish through corners. So for the majority of stuff the uzzi is great.
In regards to being tall, the front end is quite low because the top half of the headset is zero stack, and I've got a direct mount stem. The front end was actually a fair bit lower than the M3 I tried because that had a 1 1/8" head tube, and also some 888's which had a higher axle to crown height than my boxxers.

They're great bikes, and not many people have them. Most people who see it think it's a Socom at first, until they take a closer look.

Edit: Also I think you can buy dropouts which make it the head angle slacker, can't remember where I saw them though.
Yeah I've seen those dropouts. I agree about the cornering, first time I jump on his bike i'm quicker through tight turns. My mate has a massive stackheight hope headset, which probably adds 2/3 an inch on top and bottom, he's looking at going integrated. As I said though, they jump spectacularly for a big travel bike. Not a bad build on yours either.

ninjastar

Cannon Fodder
what forks

hay mate... jus bought an Uzzi frame and tossing up between exactly the forks uve had... any tips??

cheers

DH'er_28

Likes Dirt
Update!!!! New parts, new pics, new action pics.

hay mate... jus bought an Uzzi frame and tossing up between exactly the forks uve had... any tips??

cheers
Hey mate, nice choice, they're great frames.

Yeah I started with 2006 boxxers. Then I wanted to try totems, and I'll admit they were really good, suited the bike well. Seeing as the frame has 7.75" of travel, I think whichever you choose will work great. The reason I went back to boxxers was I really wanted to try what the new ones were like, I had heard great reviews about them. Now that I have them I'll never go back, absolutely in love with them. Can't see myself ever going back to totems, I did like the Totems but I love the boxxers, particularly the beginning/end stroke rebound adjustment.
Can't really go wrong either way, I'd choose the new boxxers over the totems though.

Last edited:

ninjastar

Cannon Fodder
Kool, thanx for the opinion... appreciate it. I was thinking the boxxers too... cant wait! Picked the frame up tonight!!

janni

Squid
sweet

I just got this exact same bike of my bro in law and reading about your bike is making me very exited to test it out, sick bike mate:02.47-tranquillity:

DH'er_28

Likes Dirt
I just got this exact same bike of my bro in law and reading about your bike is making me very exited to test it out, sick bike mate:02.47-tranquillity:
Cheers mate, post it up on here sometime ;)
Not many of them going around, I've seen a few here on rotorburn but only one in the flesh apart from mine.

Krakatau

Squid
wish I have this one, are you willing to sell them out mate? haha just joking :very_drunk:
what year for this beast bike?...anyway nice action pictures you got there mate! keep it up...4* for now, I think would be looks sweet with black matte rims ~ but thats it just me :very_drunk:

DH'er_28

Likes Dirt
wish I have this one, are you willing to sell them out mate? haha just joking :very_drunk:
what year for this beast bike?...anyway nice action pictures you got there mate! keep it up...4* for now, I think would be looks sweet with black matte rims ~ but thats it just me :very_drunk:
The frame is a 2006, pretty old but still gets on well, I'm still happy with it ;)
Hmmm I could consider that, just bought new wheels not long ago though so maybe in the future i could give them a go :)

DH'er_28

Likes Dirt
Added a movie for anyone interested, also in original post.

[video=youtube;0gAMrrLkVoE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gAMrrLkVoE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

Krakatau

Squid
sorry about the rims *I didn't see your old pics, I like the black one (mtx)...just wondering what is the big difference between mtx compare with mtx31 rims?

saddle should going black mix with red graphics too I guess *imho :very_drunk:
nice video - sick ride, keep it up! darn I'm jealous haha...