TUBELESS FOR $30 ! on Stock 2008 enduro wheels - STEP BY STEP WITH PICS !!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ok guys , as posted yesterday i was having a bit of a problem with the old 3 cornered jacks.....

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=128397

So i spent a lot of time last night trying to work out how to get back in the saddle ASAP without costing a shit load and taking a week .

So here goes with my $30 tubeless mod , i wouldnt have believed it if i hadnt seen it first hand ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE !

First get the bits ,
  • 1kg of latex ($25 or $16 for 500g)
  • 2 x 20" BMX tubes ($5.50 EACH)
  • OPTIONAL - 1 x roll of packing tape ($4.70 from bunnings)

I read on someone elses mod that they used this tape as an air sealer , so just to be double safe i removed the rim strips and put this on.

Put it on as tight as you can, you wont break this tape . once round is enough , overlap by 50mm .

Use a stanley knife and a small round file to make the valve hole neat .

The BMX tubes have a bigger valve than the presta so i had to drill the outer rim valve holes 11/32.

Stretch the bmx tube onto the rim (as if you were going to fit it) putting the valve through the hole. Then cut around the outside edge of the tube (oppisite side from the valve)

when you have cut all the way around it will look like this ...

You now need to cut the tube down into a "rim strip" , stritch it around a table to make cutting easier

measure the inside of the rim and add 5mm, so if your inside is 18mm cut the strip 23mm thick . with the tube stretched over the table its a breeze to cut to size.

Clean the talc off the tube befor you start.

just use a straight edge and stanley knife. I did both tubes in about 10mins

cut in further at the valves as they are thicker rubber

the tube needs to sit about 1-2mm under the bead of the rim.

if it doesnt , take it off and cut the desired amount off , i had to cut 2mm off my second strip , must have been that beer break messed up the calcs :confused:

it needs to sit beautifully all the way round , use the stans video from the website to see how it should be stretched on , its common sense really but watch the videos first ( i did )

I then put the tyre on and pumped it up using my compressor , it leaked like a sieve BLOODY 3 corner Jack holes !!!!

SO pop the opposite side of the tyre from the valve off and pour in approx 200ml of latex water mix (consistence of slightly thicker full cream milk)
i bought a 1kg tub , i only needed 5 teaspoons per tyre , so the cheaper 500g would have done and lasted for years .

pop the tyre on and inflate to 60psi

do the "shake" as mentioned on the stans video.

AMAZING .... NO HOLES , just white dots that wiped off :D:D:D

Both tyres done , inflated to 60psi !!!! will leave them at 60psi for 24 hours, then drop em down to normal

BACK IN BUSINESS !!!! ready for them thorns , same tyres that had OVER 40 punctures between them yesterday , now tubeless and practically puncture proof !!! and only cost $30 !

AND BEFORE SOMEONE TELLS ME , i have put the specialized packing pedals on to do a few laps to get the latex flowing , im between a borrowed pair of crank bros and my new shimanos (now fitted)

NOTE: go to STANS website and watch the videos on there before starting this mod , it all becomes very clear

Some of you guys might see part of your methods on here , Thanks a million for the tips.

I thought i would repay the favour by doing this step by step for others.

AWESOME :cool:

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
As you said Awesome. Thanks for the thread!

I spent a fortune on a Stan's kit for my wheels and am really wishing I hadn't after seeing that. If you ride rough terrain I would recomend the next set of tyres you get are UST specific as they have a thicker sidewall and are less prone to sidewall cuts. With UST tyres I have also noticed an improvment in cornering traction due to a stiffer sidewall on the tyre.

Any chance that you weighed you wheels before and after the conversion????

Your bike looks great. I love the look of those Speshie Enduro SL's and would be interested to read a ride report.

ozzybmx

No mate , i didnt weigh them .

I have scales here too that weigh +-2g .... was too hyped up with the "will it work" and taking pics to think about weights :confused: DOH !

And yes i will go thicker tyres next time , these are acutally spec eskar s-works 2Bliss (tubeless) .....but the sidewalls are paper thin !

Last edited:

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice thread.

Ive never seen anyone cut the rim strip that thin - so that it sits below the bead of the tyre. Ive done it a lot with the tyre bead pressing into the rim bead THROUGH the 20" tube. This means i don't have to cut down the tube before installing, and if its a DH bike and the tyre is a tight fit on the rim, you've got all the width of the 20" tube to pull it into place. I then fit the tyre and inflate, then cut down the 20" tube that is sticking out the side.

Also would recommend Isopropic alcohol or metho for the cleaning of the tube and the tyre bead (normally id advise cleaning the tyre bead too, as if its got any grit, this can cause trouble). Turps seemed to me to leave a bit of oily residue.

looks good man.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
looks way more professional than most ghetto setups, but there's plenty of extra work in there. very nice.

I'm all for it except for the re-drilling rims which is probably ok, but not something i really want to do to nice new rims - here's the answer to that: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20478 (and surely you can get them at your lbs). you can get stans rim strips for about US$20 online or $60 for the full kit, so you're saving money going ghetto (buy the rimstrips and save yourself most of the work?) and it sure beats the $100+ i've seen for stans kits in a few lbs...

Ivan

Eats Squid
these are acutally spec eskar s-works 2Bliss (tubeless) .....but the sidewalls are paper thin !
oops my bad!

Michelin and Hutchy UST sidewalls seem to be a bit thicker than Maxxis LUST sidewalls. The only negative is the extra weight.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Well done mate. I'd always wanted to make the ghetto set up like that so it fits into the rim instead of overlapping,but I havn't had the need to as yet. I'm going to do it with the new 721 I've just built up for my trail bike. Will work best with UST tyres as they're a tighter fit. With the tube overlapping style you'd get a tighter tyre fit but I'm guessing your set up wil work fine.
Again well done,looks so pro.
Did your 2bliss tyres work? I tried some with Specialized latex and it wouldn't ever seal,kept leaking through pin holes. I think they may have been early ones.

ozzybmx

yeah tyres worked fine , the only wite dots were on the tread area where the thorns went through.

once i worked out what i was going to do the whole mod took 2.5hours , that includes going to the bike shop, bunnings and the moulding shop. once i had the gear the work was 1.5 hours .

I looked through all the online buying for the stans gear BUT online=time and i want to get out as im off all week .

If this mod performs i will continue to do this indefinately , if not i will look at stans and regardless i will buy ust tougher sidewall tyres next time.

Im pretty sure this can be done on any wheel/tyre combo , i tried it here and it worked . for $30 give it a go . the only bit is the widening/drilling of the rim is irreversable .

tnankie

Likes Dirt
personally I'd only use about 80ml of sealant.

Just put a DT kit on my new wheels and the whole time I was thinking how similar it is to the gheto setup. One big difference is that they use double sided tape where you used packing tape....I imagine this just helps seal a little bit more.

And the other is that they get to use those nice presta valves with a removeable core so you can put the sealent in through the valve then screw the core back in.

I wonder if you could cut the valve out of the BMX tube, put a patch over the hole then use a standard UST valve.....I think I will give this a try, I'm sure the girlfriend needs tubless tyres!

How was putting the tyres on for you? I usually find UST tyres really easy to put onto my mavic UST rims, but the UST Kendas were a nightmare to get onto these DT 5.1s took both of us to get them on.

ozzybmx

they didnt just fall on but were relatively easy .

i was difficult to get the side off to put the sealant in after inflating them dry.

No Skid Marks

$2 for a syringe from the chemist + a valve cap with a core remover. Squirt it in. Much easier,especially for top ups.

ozzybmx

thats why i went schrader , i will do the syringe job if the tyres last that long .

the side walls are VERY thin , and tyres very light .

cheers

When the latex flows out of the hole, how long does it take to harden up? Actually, how does it seal?

The reason why I ask this is since shop bought goo has fibres in it to speed up the hole plugging, would it be a good idea shred some newspaper into the latex with a kitchen blender?

I haven't used homemade stuff, always shop goo.

No Skid Marks

When the latex flows out of the hole, how long does it take to harden up? Actually, how does it seal?

The reason why I ask this is since shop bought goo has fibres in it to speed up the hole plugging, would it be a good idea shred some newspaper into the latex with a kitchen blender?

I haven't used homemade stuff, always shop goo.
Glitter sprinkles,rubber filings,saw dust,sand ,yes anything small.
Do a search for the other tubeless thread if you want to see more info.