Tubeless ready wheelset for Giant Anthem X 29er - Recommendations please.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was hoping I may be able to get some advice as to what would be a decent tubeless ready wheelset to replace the Giant P-XC2's that came as original equipment with the bike. There seems to be a zillion choices! Basically I just need something which quality wise is inline with what is already on the bike ie XT/SLX, has a 15mm front axle and will handle up to 2.4" tyres.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this topic has already been done to death.

Cheers
Chris

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go for crests or arch rims, can get hope from CRC or the stans locally for that.
Crests are lighter, but will flex more under heavy use. Arches are heavier, but will feel more direct. If you want to run the 2.4 go the arch, the wide profile will suit a wider tyre better

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Go for crests or arch rims, can get hope from CRC or the stans locally for that.
Crests are lighter, but will flex more under heavy use. Arches are heavier, but will feel more direct. If you want to run the 2.4 go the arch, the wide profile will suit a wider tyre better
Spot on.
Stan's wheels are a little lighter and have alloy nipples.
Hope Hoops have Hope hubs which are better imo, and have stronger brass nipples.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for your replies. Have been researching the hope hoops and this could be the way to go. CRC has 10% off atm so it's a good time to take the plunge.

davehirst

Likes Dirt
the giant wheels are tubless ready, and weigh about the same as the ones you are looking at. Unlike the lower end giant wheels the px 2 arnt to bad. IMHO
Why dont you like them?.
when you are ready to get rid of them, l;et me knowi will take them at a reasonable price ;-)

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
the giant wheels are tubless ready, and weigh about the same as the ones you are looking at. Unlike the lower end giant wheels the px 2 arnt to bad. IMHO
Why dont you like them?.
when you are ready to get rid of them, l;et me knowi will take them at a reasonable price ;-)
No, that's not correct. The pxc2 wheels are pretty rubbish tubeless and are heavy at about 2200 grams.
I think you are thinking of their XCR1 wheelset. They work well tubeless and weigh in about 1780 grams.
I have their XCR0 carbon wheels and they are great and very light.
You could try and hunt down either of the XCR wheelset and they would be a worthwhile.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I thought crest and arch ex were the same width ? Just weight / stiffness difference.
I think there's .2 of a mm difference in external width... not that something so minute would make a difference to anything at all!
Internal is identical, as is rim depth.

Weight difference between the two is 80g per rim for the 29ers.

The difference between Arch and Flow, however - that's far more dramatic. :)

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why dont you like them?.
My (limited) understanding is that running 2.35 plus tyres would be better on a wider rim, plus converting them to tubeless is hit and miss...?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think there's .2 of a mm difference in external width... not that something so minute would make a difference to anything at all!
Internal is identical, as is rim depth.
OK. Always had crests, with arch suggested for me as a better trail rim. Assumed they were wider...

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I had the factory standard pxc-2 rims on mx Trance hated them they are so hard to get set up tubeless. I had some wheels made up for me Hope pro evo 2 hubs and Mavic en321 rims. They are a 24mm internal width I'm running 2.3 maxis High rollers on mine tubeless not even a burp yet. Highly recommend.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tubeless rim tape, sealant etc

One more question: if I go with the Arch EX rims do I just go with the stans 25mm rim tape, valves and Stans sealant?

Cheers
Chris

Machine

Likes Bikes
One more question: if I go with the Arch EX rims do I just go with the stans 25mm rim tape, valves and Stans sealant?

Cheers
Chris
Yes these are the easiest rims to setup as tubeless. I only ever need to use a floor pump. I've got the Crest for my wife's bike Giant Anthem W 29er and the Arch Ex for my Reign.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid

Cheers
Chris
Yup, I recently converted my Arch EX to tubeless and just used the 25mm Stans tape, valves and sealant.
Buying the wheels new, they might already come with Stans tape on them?

I'm unsure.

Machine

Likes Bikes
Yup, I recently converted my Arch EX to tubeless and just used the 25mm Stans tape, valves and sealant.
Buying the wheels new, they might already come with Stans tape on them?

I'm unsure.
One set I got from Wiggle didn't come with rim tape and valve but the set from Pushy.com did. Both site states if it does or does not. Not hard to do if it doesn't.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which tyres fit best?

Sorry, 1 more Q: during my searching I've come across a lot of comments relating to Schwalbe tyres being almost impossible to fit on Stans rims. What is the general consensus - give Schwalbe a miss? Are Maxxis any easier to fit?