Tubeless road tyres

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
I spent way too much money on bits and pieces for a tubeless conversion at the Scott 24 (nicely enriching the SIC lads in the process:rolleyes:). That said after the tubeless settled in (the rear tyre on my first lap only held about 10 psi at a time and I was constantly refilling it), it was beautiful to run lower pressure on the rocky course.

I want to feel justified in forcing my wife and children to eat 2 minute noodles for the next month (hell they've done it the past 12 months:)) by using the conversion kit for the road bike if that is at all possible.

The kit has valves, rim tape and Stans fluid.

The issue I imagine is the high pressure in the road tyre would lessen the clotting and sealing properties of the latex goo. Another issue is the low volume, making even the smallest loss of air cause an even larger drop in pressure.

But shimano and hutchison have a UST-like tubeless road wheels/tyre set-up, so its not entirely impossible.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stan launched his NoTubes for road wheels at interbike this year. From what I remember it was a rimtape/valve/sealant kit like the original MTB version to seal any road wheel. The catch is that you have to use proper tubeless road tyres as they are the only ones with a strong enough bead.

Personally I've rolled enough standard mtb tyres when setup tubeless off rims to only run tubeless now with UST tyres (still on notubes rims), so can understand they're recommendation. Just think of Beloki's crash at le Tour when Lance had to go cross country, that's the kind of thing that would happen if you roll a road tyre of the rim. Shattered pelvis, broken femur, 2 years to get back (and that was with drugs), then the 4 year ban for using drugs to get back.

So by all means, seal up your road rim, chuck a valve in and run it tubeless but please use a proper tubeless road tyre.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A girl layed it out to one side in a crit on sunday then brought it back the other way Beloki style but managed to keep it up!

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Stan launched his NoTubes for road wheels at interbike this year. From what I remember it was a rimtape/valve/sealant kit like the original MTB version to seal any road wheel. The catch is that you have to use proper tubeless road tyres as they are the only ones with a strong enough bead.

Personally I've rolled enough standard mtb tyres when setup tubeless off rims to only run tubeless now with UST tyres (still on notubes rims), so can understand they're recommendation. Just think of Beloki's crash at le Tour when Lance had to go cross country, that's the kind of thing that would happen if you roll a road tyre of the rim. Shattered pelvis, broken femur, 2 years to get back (and that was with drugs), then the 4 year ban for using drugs to get back.

So by all means, seal up your road rim, chuck a valve in and run it tubeless but please use a proper tubeless road tyre.
Thanks for the advice. Is the Hutchison tyre is the only road UST tyre?

2003 was Beloki's tyre-rim separation road-meets-lycra-clad-flesh pain. And numbskull Tomalaris asked Lance if that off-road excursion reminded him of his MTB days?????????

setonz

Likes Dirt
Beloki's crash was a result of the extreme road temp coupled with his braking on the down hill that actually melted the glue on his TUBULAR tyre and rolled it off. Slightly different to low pressure and rolling a tyre and tube off a rim.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
correct, not a similar mechanism for the tyre and rim separating. but that's beside the point, if you're corning at 60 clicks, and your tubeless clincher rolls of the rim a similar thing will happen, you'll eat it, hard.

only hutchinson have tubeless road tyres on the market that i'm aware of at the moment, i think panaracer have some pretty close to launch though, with the others not far behind no doubt.

ozelise

Likes Dirt
I asked the question on another forum of the possibility of using the Hutchinson Fusion 2 tubeless on my existing Ksyrium ES wheel (sealed rim, no need for rimstrips) with a Mavic UST valve. Bottom line - no one knows for sure, but I'm awaiting the tyres to try (slowly in a straight line). AFAIK only Shimano currently makes tubeless compatible rims.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t429151.html

'Ross

Eats Squid
I was gonna make a new thread, but instead Ill hi-jack this one:p My XC bike has 823 tubeless rims, Maxxis Larsen LUST tyres. I rode it for about a week over a lot of really harsh terrain to test just how 'unpunctureable' they are. There were no problems and everything is great.

I put the bike in my garage for around 2-3 weeks without use as Im waiting on a new headset. I went into the garage one day and both tyres were flat! Probably with about 10-15psi in them. I pumped em both up to 60 again, went on a ride, no problems, put it back in garage. Had a look this week, they have lost all their pressure again.

Is this normal for a tubeless system? Is it adviseable to pump them up almost every time you ride? Or is it likely I have made a mistake or damaged something? I could not find any info on the instructions and crap that came with the rims. If tubeless requires pumping almost every time you ride people probably should take this into consideration. thanks

RCOH

Eats Squid
Yes it happens with tubeless tires/set ups. Pumping your tires up before every ride isn't really a chore, seeing as it takes less than 20 seconds per end. And you should be checking your psi before every ride anyway.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
I asked the question on another forum of the possibility of using the Hutchinson Fusion 2 tubeless on my existing Ksyrium ES wheel (sealed rim, no need for rimstrips) with a Mavic UST valve. Bottom line - no one knows for sure, but I'm awaiting the tyres to try (slowly in a straight line). AFAIK only Shimano currently makes tubeless compatible rims.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t429151.html
I looked all over cyclingnews for the Interbike article, and there it was in a page I had already read too:eek:.

It seems a case of watch this space. It would be good to experiment and cautiously test the tyres on a crit track first (and then try Akuna Bay:D).

alexb618

Likes Dirt
Yes it happens with tubeless tires/set ups. Pumping your tires up before every ride isn't really a chore, seeing as it takes less than 20 seconds per end. And you should be checking your psi before every ride anyway.
once you have sealant in the tyre it shouldnt go flat for a long time

without sealant they will go flat in a day or so, maybe quicker

'Ross

Eats Squid
Yes, excellent. And I check my PSI on normal tyres probably once a week. Its no hassle to pump, I was just wondering if I had done something incorrectly.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some leak air, some don't in my experience. Most seem to get better over time (sealant-filled ones that is).

Bodin

GMBC
'Ross - just get used to chucking some sealant in your UST tyres anyway. I know it's extra mess and (slightly) extra weight, but I've been doing it for years and never had a flat or any significant pressure loss over time. It's as bombproof as you can possibly make an MTB setup.

Road tyres? I just got some Ksyrium SLs for the roadie which have fully sealed rims. I'm extremely keen to try the new UST roadie tyres, but incredibly nervous about the thought of rolling one off a rim. Will probably got out for my first test ride with my full DH armour on...