TUBELESS TYRE MEGATHREAD - All questions asked and answered in here!!

Win

Likes Dirt
belt?? as in belt drive???

bwhahahaaaa. too much power in these legs for a mere belt drive :cool:

(read: I need sh!tloads of gears).
So did the belt and braces hold up around Daisy this morning?

BTW, my belt held up and also my non snakeskin RRs:p

krisko

Likes Dirt
Maxxis Aspen 60tpi (Not Exception series)
they are 50 grams heavier but have a far more reliable side wall for tubeless applications. Weight is race worthy at 560grams!!!

My spiel on Exception series: I have ripped too many Exception series to and certainly wouldn't recommend you run Exceptions tubeless unless you like buying new tyres or patching them every 2nd ride. Not worth the 50grams weight saving!

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, been using tubeless for about 2 years with no troubles. In the last 2 months it seems I've been a bit unlucky by putting a cut in my rear tyre and a nail going through another one.

Just wondering what's peoples opinion of patching tyres when using them for tubeless. Tyres were almost brand new and they weren't cheap. It's a Continental Der Kaiser 2.5 and I'd like to be able to fix them especially for the second one which got punctured by a small nail which went through one of the side knobs...not the sidewall.

smeck

Likes Dirt
.......................35-40 psi kinda negates the whole tubeless+low pressure= grip advantage doesn't it? I normally run about 38 with tubes and was going to try 28-30 tubeless. What pressures do people who run similar set ups ride with?
Not really, the accelleration you get from the reduction in rotating mass makes tubeless the go. I run my tyres about 5psi less (I'm 176cm and 95kgs) than I do with tubes, I have a few wheel sets I swap around depending on what I'm doing. You replace a 300/400g tube with 100g of sealant (extra sealant needed for non-ust tyres). The weight reduction is the major benefit with tubeless, traction is better but hardly significant, I do think drifts are more predictable tubeless but who really knows. Ride up a hill next to someonw with tubes, crest at the same time and same speed, then stop pedalling, it's freaky how quickly you roll away from them. On a 40km point to point ride its worth its weight in gold. I also haven't flatted in the two years I've been tubeless, what I spend in Stans is probably not far off what I spent in tubes.

T-Rex

Template denier
Hey guys, been using tubeless for about 2 years with no troubles. In the last 2 months it seems I've been a bit unlucky by putting a cut in my rear tyre and a nail going through another one.

Just wondering what's peoples opinion of patching tyres when using them for tubeless. Tyres were almost brand new and they weren't cheap. It's a Continental Der Kaiser 2.5 and I'd like to be able to fix them especially for the second one which got punctured by a small nail which went through one of the side knobs...not the sidewall.
I've patched a couple of tyres and it's worked fine. Just make sure the inside of the tyre is clean and roughed up so the glue takes, and use a decent sized fabric reinforced patch. The little rubber patches with no fabric in them balloon back out the hole when you inflate the tyre.

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Has anyone tried putting non ust tyres on ust rims and simply used sealant to seal it up? Or do you have to stretch a 20" tube around the rim first to make the seal?

dylan s

Likes Dirt
Has anyone tried putting non ust tyres on ust rims and simply used sealant to seal it up? Or do you have to stretch a 20" tube around the rim first to make the seal?
Yeah i run standard minions on mavic 823 using stans sealent, i've been running it for a couple of months now with no problems.

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
Yeah i run standard minions on mavic 823 using stans sealent, i've been running it for a couple of months now with no problems.
Dylan, thats great, I was hoping to do the same thing to save some coin while overseas. Do you notice any difference in the sidewall strengths or anything? I've been super impressed with UST minions on 823's. Couple of months in now with no sealant or anything and they're going strong

dylan s

Likes Dirt
Dylan, thats great, I was hoping to do the same thing to save some coin while overseas. Do you notice any difference in the sidewall strengths or anything? I've been super impressed with UST minions on 823's. Couple of months in now with no sealant or anything and they're going strong
I can't compair them to ust minions as i've only run standard minions. But they haven't burped at all yet, mind you i do run around 30psi. I have teared sidewalls before when running tubes so im hopeing that it doesn't happen whilst running tubeless.
Sorry i cant be much more use i've only been running tubless for a bit over a month

m_g

Likes Dirt
ok so from what i've read here there are no UST specific 29er maxxis tyres...

So, if I have bonty duster tubeless-ready rims, i can run regular 29er crossmarks and ignitors, but i need to use a sealant...Do I also need a new rim strip, or does the one in the tubeless-ready duster have a suitable one?

also, i assume the tire needs to be wire bead and not the folding type (??)

thanks

mg

Last edited:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok so from what i've read here there are no UST specific 29er maxxis tyres...

So, if I have bonty duster tubeless-ready rims, i can run regular 29er crossmarks and ignitors, but i need to use a sealant...Do I also need a new rim strip, or does the one in the tubeless-ready duster have a suitable one?

also, i assume the tire needs to be wire bead and not the folding type (??)

thanks

mg
Folding works AOK

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
really? ok, doesnt sound right, but i trust you :)

cheers mate
Have never used anything other than folding tyres.
Did the Merida 24hr on the weekend on a very rocky course with not a single issue.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
hint: wet the bead of the tyre and rim with tubeless sealant before attempting to inflate it. It improves the seal a lot.

hint 2: Any combo other than UST/UST or UST tyre/Stans rim may require some manipulation on the part of the mechanic. If you're the mechanic, be patient and think laterally.

- Joel

rangie

Likes Dirt
hint: wet the bead of the tyre and rim with tubeless sealant before attempting to inflate it. It improves the seal a lot.

hint 2: Any combo other than UST/UST or UST tyre/Stans rim may require some manipulation on the part of the mechanic. If you're the mechanic, be patient and think laterally.

- Joel
Joel's hint 2 is spot on!
More porous the tyre, the more work is reqd as per above. Pre-working and also leaving on its side alternately turning over helps.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Non-UST hints

I also use non-ust tyres exclusively. Working your way around the bead and clipping any molding ridges with a set of nail clippers (or small side cutters) also improves your chances of not making a trip to the servo to get it to bead up.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running folding bead Ignitors as tubeless on the Peace - standard rims and all. They're got a fairly deep channel running through the profile of the rim, so had to run a bead of window foam around that, then electrical tape over the top, then a 26 inch Stans rim strip. Both went up with a track pump no issues.

I've just bought a set of Ardent 2.2's and will try running these next (actually, 1 of them might end up as the front tyre on the Anthem 29er when it arrives) - and there will be a tubeless conversion made on that as well.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I'm running folding bead Ignitors as tubeless on the Peace - standard rims and all. They're got a fairly deep channel running through the profile of the rim, so had to run a bead of window foam around that, then electrical tape over the top, then a 26 inch Stans rim strip. Both went up with a track pump no issues.

I've just bought a set of Ardent 2.2's and will try running these next (actually, 1 of them might end up as the front tyre on the Anthem 29er when it arrives) - and there will be a tubeless conversion made on that as well.
If the 2.2s aren't enough, there are some ardent 2.4s around here somewhere... apparently 12psi is the go.