TUBELESS TYRE MEGATHREAD - All questions asked and answered in here!!

Ivan

Eats Squid
No, sealant is not completely necessary with a UST rim and a UST Tyre. However, if the tyre is used, you may have trouble sealing it if the bead is damaged, or has bits of old sealant on it.

It is good insurance to use sealant though.

nayto

Likes Bikes
No, sealant is not completely necessary with a UST rim and a UST Tyre. However, if the tyre is used, you may have trouble sealing it if the bead is damaged, or has bits of old sealant on it.

It is good insurance to use sealant though.
Would you race without running any? Or just jam a tube in to be sure, suppose its better to do it now then halfway through the race

Ivan

Eats Squid
Would you race without running any? Or just jam a tube in to be sure, suppose its better to do it now then halfway through the race
Depends on the terrain (rocks, etc), and whether the tyre is brand new or not.

You could always buy one of those small bottles of Stan's at the LBS tomorrow.

nayto

Likes Bikes
Terrain is nothing too wild, few rocks but nothing major (racing in canberra) and the tyres are brand new. ve been a bit rushed and thought id fit the tyres down here but forgot to bring goo. LBS wont be open early enough in the morn.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My S-Works Fast Traks are 515g and my S-Works Renegades are 480g, both weighed on a digital scale that I trust. Not bad for proper tubeless 29er tyres... They even have a little bit of grip.

Sorry, don't know the weights on the other versions.
I'd like to know how the s-works sidewalls are holding up tubeless. The renegade strikes me as some very fast rubber.

For the guys that run them tubeless, what psi do you pump them to?

Cheers, J

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
I'd like to know how the s-works sidewalls are holding up tubeless. The renegade strikes me as some very fast rubber.

For the guys that run them tubeless, what psi do you pump them to?

Cheers, J
I've ridden with a guy who had a massive split in his Fast Track S-works sidewall. He was just riding along and it just went *split*! Now he's running controls like me - and both are very very tough. I put my fast trak and renegade up before christmas and have been extremely reliable. No problems yet. I've not heard (from people I know) of a control getting a sidewall split yet.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've ridden with a guy who had a massive split in his Fast Track S-works sidewall. He was just riding along and it just went *split*! Now he's running controls like me - and both are very very tough. I put my fast trak and renegade up before christmas and have been extremely reliable. No problems yet. I've not heard (from people I know) of a control getting a sidewall split yet.
Less than 500 grams on a 29er is not a whole heap of rubber is it? Thanks mate

Bodin

GMBC
My S-Works tyres hold air fantastically well, but only time will tell with regards to the durability of the sidewalls. So far no probs after riding them around the rocky trails of Castlemaine a fair bit over the last few months and they did a great job in this year's Odyssey.

FWIW - I pump them to what I *think* is somewhere between 35 - 40 psi. My floorpump is not accurate, but I tend to run light tyres harder than many other riders, as I'm prepared to sacrifice some grip in order to prevent excessive sidewall squirm (I'm 80kg in my riding gear - wish I was 70kg, but that'll never happen).

Less than 500 grams on a 29er is not a whole heap of rubber is it? Thanks mate
No, it's not. This is why I bought 2 sets (Fast Trak front, Renegade rear). Cost me almost $400, but I think high quality tyres are the absolute best performance upgrade you can do for any bike, so it's the one thing I never skimp on. No point having a bling bike with average tyres. I'd rather have an average bike with bling tyres.

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Tube until you get sealant.

Myself, throw a tube in until you get sealant to save the hassle of having to remove the valve in a hurry during the race. Ripping a tube out in a hurry is easier than trying to remove a valve stem. The other risk you run is damaging the valve if you have to remove it in a hurry and then you are down the cost of the valve.

Which ever way you go there are pros and cons, you just have to decide on which pros and cons are acceptable to you.

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
Although I run with stans in my tyres, I always carry a tube in the hydration pack just in case. Not that heavy or bulky and is good insurance.... (more so for mates who blow out a couple of tubes and need another!!)

nayto

Likes Bikes
Well i ended up pulling the tyre off and on a few times, trying to reseat the bead and check for leaks......I got over it fast. Kept getting leaks in different spots, but ended up with just one tiny tiny leak. Pumped it up to 60psi and left it overnight to check how much it dropped by the morning.
It dropped to 42psi, so i took the gamble and pumped it to 50psi and did the race:cool:
Funny thing is it didnt drop at all over the race, it just made it a bit uncomfortable and slippery! No tyre issues though, i got lucky.

Newton

Likes Dirt
so i took the gamble and pumped it to 50psi and did the race:cool:
Funny thing is it didnt drop at all over the race, it just made it a bit uncomfortable and slippery!
50psi is rather high, generally tyre pressures lower than 40psi are the norm, I'm 94kgs and run 35psi for XC races

nayto

Likes Bikes
Yeh i normally run 30-32, but because the tyre was leaking slowly my plan was to have it at 50 to start with and by the end it'd have only leaked down to 30 odd.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, it's not. This is why I bought 2 sets (Fast Trak front, Renegade rear). Cost me almost $400, but I think high quality tyres are the absolute best performance upgrade you can do for any bike, so it's the one thing I never skimp on. No point having a bling bike with average tyres. I'd rather have an average bike with bling tyres.
Couldn't agree more.

The S-Works Renegades are bloody fast. I rode them with a tube and I was immediately impressed with their lively turn of pace. The thin sidewalls wouldn't work for long where I ride. I tried running s-works Fast Traks a few years back and lost the sidewalls in weeks. They were also very fast, and I remember thinking that they were the perfect XC tire.

The speed of the S-Works tires became more evident to me after I rode my 29er today with 2.25 Snake Skin Racing Ralphs tubeless. The Ralphs are not a slow tire but they felt that way in comparison to the Renegades.

I wonder if a happy medium exists for me? Maybe the control version Renegade or Fast trak in the rear with a Racing Ralph at the front...

Last edited:

lappy21

Cannon Fodder
Hi just thought I'd chime in...

My wife and I have been tubeless on our road bikes for about 6 months now. She's got the ultegra Tubeless wheelset and I've done the Stans yellow tape thing on the wheels which came came with my Pinarello. Together we've done a combined total of around 7000kms, so that's around 3500Kms on each set of tires give or take. We've both been using Fusion 3's.

We've had a few punctures but each time the wheel goes down to about 30psi and then the sealant does its thing. I've found that if I try to pump the tire up straight away then the pressure just goes out again. However, if I leave the pressure low and ride at a moderate pace for about 10 - 15 minutes than it seals really good, and then I can pump it back up.

One time the cut was quite large and it wouldn't seal properly, so when I got home I took the tire off and put a patch on the inside. All good now.

Basically, I've we've not had to use a tube since we've gone road tubeless. I'm all for road tubeless :)

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same here, I've now done about 3500 k's as well in 6 months with not one puncture. They lose about 10 psi a fortnight but that's it.

Previously about 1 puncture a month due to glass, never pinch flatting.

I'm sold !

Anyone want to buy about 5 spare tubes?

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same positive news from my tubeless set up. I can't see myself ever going back to tubes. Shimano just need to make the C35 in a tubeless version!

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Renegades Rock!

Yep, they really are that good.

I rode them yesterday evening in their intended conditions, dry, some loose over hardpack. In the morning I had ridden the same trails with Racing Ralphs.

You expect the Renegades to be fast right? They wont disappoint. They are by far the fastest dry conditions tire I've ridden.

The surprise came in how much grip and braking control they offer when the trail is dry. On loose over hardpack they handled and rolled better than Racing Ralphs. I ran them at 25 PSI, tubeless. I was just giggling at how well they went.

I guess that the Ralphies would win in the wet but for the dry, it's a no brainer.

Longevity? I can't see how the S-Works sidewalls can be a long lasting proposition, that's cool, just buy the Control version.

Last edited:

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Longevity? I can't see how the S-Works sidewalls can be a long lasting proposition, that's cool, just buy the Control version.
Interstingly, as an aside, the uber weight-weenie Sauser is running the Control versions in the Epic this year rather than the S-Works. No punctures or sidewall tears.
Stander is on the same.

If even he is being a bit cautious (on what is already a heavy bike for him) then its worth taking note.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got back from the LBS (Bikes Direct in Carnegie). They got a Hutchinson order in this week so here's some real weights.
Python in 29x2.1 UST Tubeless Ready 610g and 600g
Toro in 29x2.15 UST Tubeless Ready 695g and 715g
Quite nice to see some UST 29er tyres available in Oz.