TUBELESS TYRE MEGATHREAD - All questions asked and answered in here!!

Bodin

GMBC
Crikey, that's heavy! Quite disappointing, because Crossmarks are such a damn good all-round tyre. Doubtless there's a good reason, and I'd love to know what it is.
My 26" UST tubeless tyres were always around the 700 - 750 gram mark, so the weights of the 29er USTs don't surprise me at all. It's also the reason why I haven't bothered with UST tyres for a long, long time and won't in the future.

Specialized 2-Bliss tyres have never given me any durability issues (rode a set of S-Works Fast Trak 2Bliss tyres for 3 years with a single flat or sidewall issue) and are always significantly lighter than UST...

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
My 26" UST tubeless tyres were always around the 700 - 750 gram mark, so the weights of the 29er USTs don't surprise me at all.
That's interesting. I didn't get into weighing tyres until after I started messing with the 29er stuff.

You do realise that you have compelled me to spend an afternoon weighing tyres, don't you? You ratbag, you!

Bodin

GMBC
That's interesting. I didn't get into weighing tyres until after I started messing with the 29er stuff.
Same. I didn't start weighing all my old 26er tyres until they were sitting around the garage with no 26er wheels to put them on. Was surprised to discover that many of the "high end" tyres I had were that heavy (700g+) - this includes Intense's "2Bless" system, which is supposed to be lighter than UST, but isn't.

The scales I used were the same ones that measured my 29er Renegades @ 480g, so I know the scales aren't adding weight.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Renegades

I agree on the Renegades, they are with out a doubt a very fast and light tyre!
I was actually very surprised of the generous width, making them a great dry weather trail tyre, not just limited to race days.

Having said that I did two wet laps at the Mont with the Renegade mounted on the back.Lets just say my confidence was near zero.

The Schwalbe Rocket Ron on the front however gripped remarkably well and weighs only 40 grams more. They do however wear extremely quickly and don't roll quite as fast on the back.

Horses for courses!

Bodin

GMBC
Having said that I did two wet laps at the Mont with the Renegade mounted on the back.Lets just say my confidence was near zero.
My first ride on mine was in a wet, rocky, rooty pine forest and I was running them front and rear. Was sideways more often than a teenager in a stolen ute. I think it's why I like them so much in the dry - anything was going to be better than that night.

But, yeah, I still don't rate them as a front tyre - happy to pay the 40 gram penalty for the Fast Trak for that extra confidence.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My first ride on mine was in a wet, rocky, rooty pine forest and I was running them front and rear. Was sideways more often than a teenager in a stolen ute. I think it's why I like them so much in the dry - anything was going to be better than that night.

But, yeah, I still don't rate them as a front tyre - happy to pay the 40 gram penalty for the Fast Trak for that extra confidence.
Their round profile will have them struggling in the wet but I kind of enjoy the drifting feeling. Mud? Forget it! Overall, their grip is surprising given the (lack of) tread.

My next experiment will be to run a control renegade at the back, for extra protection, and an s-works at the front.

Last edited:

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
Trying to locate a set of 29er Rocket Rons but i cant seem to find them anywhere! Anybody of where to get a set from? 2011 version if possible.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Renegades on a wet trail.

I was out for a couple of hours this morning, We'd had about 11mm of rain overnight and I hit the trail before first light.

It was wet, very slippery. I ran the Renegades at 24 psi front and 26 psi rear, hoping that the large contact patch of the 29er, and the grippy rubber compound will compensate for the lack of knobs. Sure...

Honestly, I was expecting them to be skatey, but this was completely confidence sapping. The front tyre was washing left and right, and the rear tyre struggled for traction on slippery climbs (all of them were slippery).

I might put them away until the dry season (if we ever get a dry season again).

I think I'll try a fast-track LK control rear, with an s-works fasttrak or rocket ron at the front.

Last edited:
troubles making 29er tyres tubeless

Some folded tyres can be difficult to seat initially, especially on certain rims. The DT 7.1d rims are especially loose fitting. If you find yourself frustrated in not being able to get your 29er tyre to seat on the rim then run a tube as normal and go for one decent ride and then remove the tube, it seems to work much better as all the folds go and the tyre seats on the bead much better.

I have also had better luck with stans tape than I have with the rim strips with the DT rims as they are quite thin rims.

adaib

Likes Dirt
Tubeless Rimes with Non-Tubeless tyres

Hi,
Just wondering, can you run non-tubeless tyres on a tubeless rim? I think i remember reading somewhere that you get some serious blow off issues?

thanks

Warwick

Likes Dirt
Yes you can. I have before and am again, as I use up my last ever brand new tube type tyres on tubeless rims. Never had them pop off, but they are fiddly to fit if you dont have an air compressor. And they are a bit sloshier than the equivalent UST tyres without the same sidewall support, and a bit more vulnerable to sidewall punctures than UST's

adaib

Likes Dirt
Are they still squishy and fiddly if you run them with tubes?
The reason i ask, is that i want to purchase tubeless wheels, and eventually tubeless tyres, however, i can't afford that at the moment, so i want to run a non-tubeless tyre with a tube in it, with on a tubeless rim?

0psi

Eats Squid
You can run a normal tyre and tube on a tubeless rim but sometimes it can be a bit finiky to set up as the tube will push the bead of the tyre against the bead lock thingy and it won't seat properly. Nothing a bit of patience won't fix.

Alternatively you can run a standard tyre on a tubeless rim with sealant which is probably more difficult to set up but well worth the time.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Are they still squishy and fiddly if you run them with tubes?
All tubeless rims can run normal tyres with tubes. The only thing you may find is that you need to pump them up higher to get the bead to seat. A little soapy water can help. Once seated, let the pressure back down to what you run normally.

Of course, you can also run normal tyres tubeless but you will need to use sealant. Some normal tyres don't work so well because of their bead hook. This may be what you have heard about "blowing off" the rim.

You will not get blowing off issues with normal tyres and tubes.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sealant is a must. You're also going to have to consider that some tyres work better than others. Some will do just fine and actually be really fast and grippy if they are run tubeless. Some will struggle to inflate and hold air.

The Stan's website used to have a list of recommended manufacturers. Check if it's still there and if you have tyres of the appropriate brand you should do OK.