TUBELESS TYRE MEGATHREAD - All questions asked and answered in here!!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Nice one tek. That'll be great for tomorrow. I've noticed that my rim is UST but it doesn't have that on the tyre. That will make it harder? I might shoot up to the servo.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Non-UST tyres often have looser-fitting beads than UST, which makes them harder to get a seal. When using standard tyres on UST rims, I found I had to fully seat one bead by hand (do this before you put the sealant in - learned that the messy way!), then fit the other bead, adding the sealant when there's only a short section of bead left to put on. If the tyres are relatively thin-walled XC ones, you can grab pinches of the sidewall between thumb & fingers & pull the bead into position. Once you've done this about halfway around there should be sufficient tightness to create a seal, then you can do the rest with air. Bit of a pain; the moral of the story is to use proper tubeless tyres.

ChopSticks

Banned
Firstly... what tyres are you actually running? some tyres really dont like to be set up tubelessly (non SnakeSkin schwables and kenda SB8's come to mind)

Where is it leaking from? the bead? or through the walls? if through the walls... then keep adding until you plug that wall up (could be alot!) what rims are you running? sure its no leaking from the valve/spoke holes? i recall the 'max' stans say is 35psi.... but I've always inflated past that to 40-50. Bare in mind the higher pressure will just push sealant out too quickly before it has time to seal/set. So cranking it up to crazy pressures wont actually solve your problem.

try WillR's tips... but if ALL fails you have one last option.
Inflat and seat tyre with a tube. make sure both sides of beads are in place.
Slowly deflate tyre and pop one side of the bead off near the valve hole. (less the better)
Pull the valve/tube out of that gap and CUT the tube, this will allow you to pull the tube out.
push tyre bead back onto rim and tyre to infalte with valve core out, and plenty of suds.

Sealant will last til tomorrow.... but when I have trouble setting up tubeless sytems late at night and cant drive to the petrol station... I always scoop the sealant back out of tyre and put it in an empty plastic bottle.

DMan

Bugger. I cut a couple different lengths and I couldn't get the cap adapter to work sadly. Maybe you need an inflator head like they used?? Until tomorrow. I hope its worth the effort is all I can say....

DMan

It's a deore xt rim running a Geax Goma tyre. It seems like its around the bead. It's like I said. Its as if I can't get enough air in it to get it to 'pop' so to speak. I must have got lucky with the rear...

Last edited:

DMan

What do you mean seating the tyre. I understand the the rim has a lip that the bead hooks under but is there a special way to put the tyre on? I put it on the same as if it were tubed. Pinched between my fingers and pushed it down working my way around the rim. Is there more to do?

WillR

Likes Dirt
Seating just means what you've said above; getting the tyre bead to seat properly in the rim. I've tried to make an adapter out of a presta cap and couldn't get it to work either. If you plan to be doing all your tyres tubeless a compressor is a good investment. If you can't afford one, I know people who have had good results with a high volume floor pump.
Before I had a compressor I used an old 9lt fire extinguisher that I used for inflating tubeless tyres. You can usually get old ones for free and you can fill them with a floor pump via a shrader valve.
I used a hose clamp to fit a pump head to the extinguisher hose. The extinguisher would flow more air than a floor pump, but less than a compressor.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
UST rims have an extra little ridge along the "shoulder" inboard of the sidewalls that the tyre locks into. Seating the tyre bead properly between this ridge & the sidewall will ensure a proper seal, especially if you're using normal tyres. UST & tubeless-ready tyres have beefier beads than regular ones, so they'll tend to sit more snugly in the centre channel, so they'll seal to enough of an extent to ensure air goes in faster than it goes out.

When you're able to get air in, you'll hear a very satisfying (but slightly alarming the first time) "snap" as the last bits of bead lock into place. If the tyre isn't properly locked in, leakage is fairly probable.

DMan

Thanks guys. I only have the one ust setup so no real use for a compressor ( Although I'll need an adapter I'd say to go from Schrader to presta....) But there's a couple of compressors at work. I might try your extinguisher trick though. I have an old extinguisher at work.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
It's a deore xt rim running a Geax Goma tyre. It seems like its around the bead. It's like I said. Its as if I can't get enough air in it to get it to 'pop' so to speak. I must have got lucky with the rear...
My Geax Gato`s were a bitch to do . Number one they were a nightmare to even get on to the rim snapping 2 tyre levers . Getting them to seat was easy enough with the dishwash bubbles but for some reason could not push the sealant through the stem . Cracked bead added sealant and sat at the servo with sponge dishwash liquid and rag and soaped my way to happiness . Once inflated spin tyre in your hand then set to horizontal and move up and down rotating the wheel . Then i stamped the wheel against the ground whilst rotating and all good . Set up my spare wheels on Kenda Dred Treads easy as , guess it depends on the tyres ?

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Thanks guys. I only have the one ust setup so no real use for a compressor ( Although I'll need an adapter I'd say to go from Schrader to presta....) But there's a couple of compressors at work. I might try your extinguisher trick though. I have an old extinguisher at work.
Compressor makes it so much easier, I like to put the clear plastic tube over the valve and with an air gun attachment pump it up. Really easy to do then. Definitely worth the effort.

DMan

Now THAT I can do at work. Saves trying to get an adapter. Thanks for the tip.

ekwok

Likes Bikes
Looking at setting up tubeless at the moment with some HR2s with the EXO casing and sealant. Just wondering if anyone has experience with running tubeless with Maxxis non-TR versions single ply tyres or do I have to buy the TR versions (limits places I can get them from). I am running UST rims (Haven).

Cheers.

XTCAd27.5

Cannon Fodder
@acads. Thanks for that info. I also have pxcr1's, DT Swiss rim strips, and the bike also came with tape similar to Stan's. Can't find any other info on this set up except yours. So tape, then rim strips with ridges out to tires, and tubeless valves. Did you use sealant?

Nick Njegac

Likes Bikes
I've got a set of OzRiders 27.5 rims, which are said to be tubeless ready(only rim tape is needed) and running tubeless just fine right now on Schwalbe Rocket Rons, the tubeless type that cost a shit ton(and came with my bike), and Vee Rubber missions(Which are a pain to find), Rims are here: http://ozriders.com.au/product/650b-27-5-inch-rims/

So, my tubeless ready rims are set up with rim tape and full tubeless tyres right now just fine, no problems.

Since I'm a tight-arse, am I able to run normal tyres as tubeless with my tubeless rims?

And also, when using proper sealant like stans with rim tape, make sure you use proper tape like Stans or go ghetto with Tarzan's Grip (Is that when it's called?), otherwise, the chemicals used in the sealant will eat into the electrical tape's adhesive and render it useless with in a couple of days. (Could you edit that in? I know it could have saved myself from a couple of weekend's work)

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Tubeless - did i do something wrong ?

I put a new Rubena Kratos on a DT Swiss tubeless wheel to replace a rocket ron . The tyre was easy to get on so i just put some sealant in and then inflated to around 45 psi ran the sealant around and then adjusted to my liking - the old squeeze with your hand trick . It seemed to pop in well and has stayed inflated but todays ride it seemed as if it wanted to burp and had some sealant coming out from between the rim and tyre . Have i missed a crucial step or is this normal ? I have experience with doing the rim strip conversions and apart from rolling a tyre off due to stupidly low pressure have not had any issues . These are my first full tubeless wheels . If it makes a difference they are 26 " .

fedor346

Likes Dirt
re: tubeless

I put a new Rubena Kratos on a DT Swiss tubeless wheel to replace a rocket ron . The tyre was easy to get on so i just put some sealant in and then inflated to around 45 psi ran the sealant around and then adjusted to my liking - the old squeeze with your hand trick . It seemed to pop in well and has stayed inflated but todays ride it seemed as if it wanted to burp and had some sealant coming out from between the rim and tyre . Have i missed a crucial step or is this normal ? I have experience with doing the rim strip conversions and apart from rolling a tyre off due to stupidly low pressure have not had any issues . These are my first full tubeless wheels . If it makes a difference they are 26 " .
Hi Muzspeed,

You probably needed more rim tape. My guage is if the tyre gives your hands and fingers a good workout getting them on without needing levers - it's a good thing - the bead will stay nice and tight. If they're easy to put on not so good - need more tape. Are the rubena Kratos tubeless ready?

cheers,

Gav