Tubes to fit Minions

dave3107

Likes Bikes
Probably a stupid question, but can I use 2.10 / 2.4 tubes on my new Minions (2.5)?? Why/ why not?:confused:

Would I need to use DH specific tubes? (I don't do much DH riding - just a little)
Thanks.

FlyingOff

Likes Bikes
Yep they should be okay.

Although if you do put a tube that is too small into a large tire, e.g. (1.25 tube into a 2.1 tire) it can "egg" the tube.
And yes I have had this happen to me before. It does work but when you take the tube out, there is a definite egg in it.

dan-492

Likes Dirt
hey mate i have run 1.9 inch tubes in a 2.5 minion. seemed to work fine despite the obvious size difference.

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
Not a problem mate. I run a xc 1.85 tube in my front 2.6 ardents and it's fine. I just do it to save rotational weight. But in my back in run a 2.5 dh tube in a 2.4 ardents.Obvisously to reduce flats

Or just got tubless like I will be soon

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey mate i have run 1.9 inch tubes in a 2.5 minion. seemed to work fine despite the obvious size difference.

Same here, I just run the standard (XC?) 1.95 tubes and I'm using 2.4 / 2.5 size tires .
All it means is that the tube will be stretched a bit more so potentially prone to puncture a bit easier. But pump up your tube when it's not in the tire, and you'll see just how big it can go! A bit of a size difference won't affect the function at all in my opinion (just potential for more punctures / pinch flats like I said)

With DH tubes they would be a bit bigger obviously but also thicker (and heavier).

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
be careful though, dont get too smaller tubes, i had a 1.95 tube in a 2.5 inch hookworm and it blew up on me:confused:

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
be careful though, dont get too smaller tubes, i had a 1.95 tube in a 2.5 inch hookworm and it blew up on me:confused:
You were probably didn't seat the tire bead properly.

Only problem with a smaller tube is the rubber is thinner than it would be in a correct size tire, so you may puncture more often. Otherwise- it's fine.

Yep they should be okay.

Although if you do put a tube that is too small into a large tire, e.g. (1.25 tube into a 2.1 tire) it can "egg" the tube.
And yes I have had this happen to me before. It does work but when you take the tube out, there is a definite egg in it.
Hahahahaha Danny I remember when that happened when I was at yours once. Lol

That was weird eyy?