Tubes tyres on UST rims.

Cranker

Likes Dirt
I'm looking to run my (Tube) Knobby Nic on my UST rims with Stan's solution.
Mainly XC riding.

Just wanting some feedback from those of you who are running this setup at the moment.

Should I or shouldn't I? :confused:

glennles

Likes Dirt
I've got a wire bead Larsen and Crossmark on XT rims w/ Stans at the moment.

I haven't used UST tyres so I have nothing to compare them too but I've had a puncture and it sealed straight away. Mine have held air well. I've only pumped them up a bit once in the last month.

Definitely get a compressor. I managed to seat mine with a track pump but it took 4 hands and a lot of swearing :D

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Depends how heavy you are. If you have some serious kg's I would stay with the tubeless tyres. If not, reap the benefits of a lighter tyre.
Just dont put more than 50 psi in them, its not much fun :(

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go for it. See the definitive tubeless thread (it's a sticky in Part & Accessories) for all the answers.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
My dad has run a nobby nic and a racing ralph tubless. They took a bit of effort to bead in but once they wer up they were fine. Only problem is the side walls are very thin and therfore rip pretty easy. My dads now runninf them with tubes because hes ripped the side walls.

Cranker

Likes Dirt
Only problem is the side walls are very thin and therfore rip pretty easy.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

The thin side walls was my original fears as well.
And I'm 80kg and that isn't gonna help either!!:D

But I think I'll give it a try anyway. I'll carry a spare tube and C02 pump just incase....

Last edited:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did this for years, running maxxis tyres and tubes on Mavic UST rims not one problem ever

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
ive used ust rims with standard tires for years now.
my dad runs standard nobby nics on ust rime and it wroks great, has never had any problems with it.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I am doing the same thing at the moment with Maxxis Monorail standard tires with no problems.

If you ride smooth and rarely get sidewall slashes then go for it. You may need to up the pressure slightly though as the thinner carcass is more "bendy".

floz

Likes Dirt
I'm running Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres on Mavic UST rims with Stans sealant.
Tyres are Sport versions (wire bead). It was ridiculously easy to set up and have had no problems what so ever. They rock!