Tubes vs Tubeless

Do you use tubes or tubeless on your main MTB?

• Total voters

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm sticking with tubeless on the roadie. 3000kms or so and only ever needed a roadside tube once.
I can usually always make it home... with varied amounts of latex sprayed up my ass and over the bike.... fekking glass fragments and shit puncture protection, after going through 10-12 Schwalbe Pro1's, now on GP5000s, been fitted 3 months but still only about 2-3 rides on them, been riding my MTBs and CX a lot more recently.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I can usually always make it home... with varied amounts of latex sprayed up my ass and over the bike.... fekking glass fragments and shit puncture protection, after going through 10-12 Schwalbe Pro1's, now on GP5000s, been fitted 3 months but still only about 2-3 rides on them, been riding my MTBs and CX a lot more recently.
Yeah, the Pro Ones could certainly use more glass shard resistance... Mine tend to end up as slow leaks I'll pump every morning until i can be arsed pulling it off for an internal patch. They usually have at least half a dozen by the time I bin the tyre, will try something else next time.

Still not going back to tubes though!!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Bumping this. I've set up my reissue Panaracer Smoke tyre tubeless on a Mavic D521, used some Orange Seal tape (was on spesh) and a Stans strip, with some Joes sealant. Been in a few days, and is dropping from 40psi down to about 25 overnight, no obvious leaks. Are some tyres just no good for it? I'm riding it today and plan to take a pump, will be bummed if I can't continue to run it tubeless.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Bumping this. I've set up my reissue Panaracer Smoke tyre tubeless on a Mavic D521, used some Orange Seal tape (was on spesh) and a Stans strip, with some Joes sealant. Been in a few days, and is dropping from 40psi down to about 25 overnight, no obvious leaks. Are some tyres just no good for it? I'm riding it today and plan to take a pump, will be bummed if I can't continue to run it tubeless.
I have the opposite issue - tyres holding air great but weeping fluid out the sidewall slowly in a few spots.

My previous bike I was running 26" Maxxis on Mavic EN521with gorilla grip and found they dropped a bit of air slowly.

Currently 29" Maxxis on WTB i29 with gorilla drip and they're holding air for ages. They were better than previous to begin with, but found switching to valves (Schrader) with a better nut to tighten them to the rim made them even better.

Experience suggests you can lose a little bit around the valve seat without seeing any sealant coming out.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Sounds like the it needs more cable ends mixed in with the sealant!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
They were better than previous to begin with, but found switching to valves (Schrader) with a better nut to tighten them to the rim made them even better.
Yeah I suspect it's on the valve around the presta saver, might have to invest in proper toobless shraeder valves.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do the tyres hold air when riding?
My 29er plus tyres took a week of re pumping and spinning the wheels before they held air.
I had a slow leak in another wheel that ended with a smashed rim because I did not notice the air had gone down. Traction was improving on the ride just before I smashed the rim :)

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah I suspect it's on the valve around the presta saver, might have to invest in proper toobless shraeder valves.
Have I missed it, or have you:
1: Covered the wheel in soapy water, left sitting, and looked for the froth?
2: submerged the whole wheel in water to look for slow leak?

#1 is the easiest option.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Been in a few days, and is dropping from 40psi down to about 25 overnight, no obvious leaks. Are some tyres just no good for it? I'm riding it today and plan to take a pump, will be bummed if I can't continue to run it tubeless.
Are they skinwalls or blackwalls? Skinwalls just look very untubeless to me but that is based on zero facts anyhow :p

stirk

Burner
Yep skinwalls, also era correct which negates ugly and hipster.
Skin breathes! Even for EXO tyres I find they take a while to seal up and even then can drop a few PSI overnight but I rarely replenish the sealent so that's probably not the products fault. Keep adding sealant and ride and see how it goes, over time it should seal up.