Tuffneck ss hubs

mustard

Likes Dirt
hello there,

does anyone have any experince with these hubs, are they 10mm thru axel.
And that are some other alturnatives to a tuffneck.
No l cant afford a hadley or a chris king.

cheers

tanlicouz

Likes Dirt
I am pretty sure that all tuffneck hubs comes with the option of standard QR, 10 mm QR and 14 mm bolt up.

If you buy the hub make sure you get all of the extra axels. Tuffneck hubs are farily cheap, incredibly simple and run very very nice. I'm running them on both front and rear and have not givin me any problems and have been smooth and maintenance free so far.

Arete

Likes Dirt
I've had one for 6 months or so laced to an atomlab dhr. Never had any problems. On the other hand it hasn't blown me away with awesome performance. I have a geared one on my dh bike and it's the same. It goes round, doesn't break.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Not sure if its bad luck up this way. I've Sold 3.

3 problems.

First died after 2 weeks on a commuter surly. (sping and pawls rooted)
2nd made funny noises after around 4 months
3rd made funny noices and 'skipped' out of the box (again- pawls)

Warrenty was difficult on the first one. Other two customers chucked the hubs in the bin and went for something better.

mtxrider43

Likes Bikes
hub

i have had a tuffneck ss on my urban bike for the last 3/4 months and its been sick as, no maintenace at all(so far). Not the loudest hub but hey, I got mine for $110 and for that price stoked.

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tuff-neck ss hubs are 10mm bolt-up. not through-axle. and there's no other options.

hardtail free rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
*tufneck cassette hub come with 10mm, 12mm bolt-up and standard QR. havent ridden one but heard good things (and along the grape vine, are identicle bodies to dice hoodoo) retail for around $160/$170

*tufneck single speed hub, 10mm bolt up only, i have one waiting to be built and my friend has ridden his for 4 months or so. performs well, but has had the bearing reaplaced through warranty (no dramas, quick and easy). retail for about $80/$90

other options -woodman $130ish, profile $???, DMR revolver $???

just look around, have a flip through cataloges. etc.

-dan

wtr

Likes Dirt
I trust the simplicity of their hub's freewheel body, all parts are replacible at a realistic price, and the overall build of the hub is of excellent quality for money.

I stall and fakie with mine a lot, snapped 2 chains already but it still hasn't skip or whinge at me yet for the last 5 months. Grease and check for play on the hub is essential. :)

Top buy.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Any idea on number of engagement points on the tuffneck?

I've never really worried about it until after I rode a Hadley with 118 or something like that. Now I notice the difference so much that it annoys me a little. I'm riding a DT Swiss Onyx and I think it only has 15 or something like that.

I really should look it up myself but I'm lazy.

*Edit: Sorry, should've pointed out I meant the Tuffneck SS hub.

Last edited:

tanlicouz

Likes Dirt
It is 26 engagement with 3 things that actaully grabs on to it.......not too sure with the ss though

hope that helps.

IMO if downhilling/dj etc, don;t need more the 26 engagements, if trials then different story........

RCOH

Eats Squid
I'm running Tuffnek SS hub 7 it is sweet, no dramas at all. Engagement isn't as instant (can you have degrees of instancy? is instancy even a word?) as a hadley/hugi/king but it does the job & does it well at a fraction of the price.

steak

Likes Dirt
hardtail free rider said:
*tufneck cassette hub come with 10mm, 12mm bolt-up and standard QR.
they come with 10mm solid QR (meaning the axle is a solid 10mm QR rod), Standard QR, and a 12mm Bolt up axle. They do not come stock with a 10mm bolt up axle. THis posed a problem if you want to run a bolt up axle (if using this hub on horizontal dropouts) as basically there isn't a huge amount of 12mm dropout compatibility frames.
Although this need to run a 10mm bolt up axle with the cassette TN hubs is solved easily by either running a 12mm > 10mm stepdown axle in the axle housing or buying a 10mm axle with threading on either ends and running that in the 10mm solid QR axle housing.

The Tuffneck SS hubs come with 10mm bolt up axles and last time i went to BSC in Melbourne i was quoted $79 for the TN SS hub and about 170-180 for the Cassette hub.

mtxrider43 said:
i have had a tuffneck ss on my urban bike for the last 3/4 months and its been sick as, no maintenace at all(so far). Not the loudest hub but hey, I got mine for $110 and for that price stoked.
I think you need to find a new lbs if they charged you $110 for the SS hub...becuase you got ripped.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Umm Freight to cairns? ;)

I know we've sold them at $99. The importer is in melbourne I believe.

hinga1

Likes Dirt
tuffnecks are really good ive been running one for bout 3 months now, no dramas and they spin forever with the original bearings. good luck with it

Harder Nox

Likes Dirt
I've been running mine for about a month now and have had a few problems...

i was getting a skip when i applied pressure on the pedals and at first thought it was the chain.. so now im running a BMX chain.. im still getting the skipping..

the problem is that i found it 'foaming' in between the flange and the freewheel body and the hub hasn't been rained on or gotten wet in any way..

time for some investigation...