Turns out that "stick" wasn't a stick!!!

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Turns out that meter and a half black stick I just rode over wasnt a stick....it was a red belly black snake !! Scared the shit out of me! On the positive side I beat my PB on that hill climb haha but seriously, be careful folks, there slithery bastards are out

Three

Likes Bikes
Yeah, I ran over a baby brown recently. Didn't think much of it immediately, then the thought that I may have flicked it up into my Camelbak came to mind.

It's part of the game though. We're on their turf.

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I ran over a baby brown recently. Didn't think much of it immediately, then the thought that I may have flicked it up into my Camelbak came to mind.

It's part of the game though. We're on their turf.
Ur exactly right, it's there home, not ours!! Still dosnt change the fact it scared the hell outa me haha kinda cool at the same time bein that close with nature (without sounding to hippy!)

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Ur exactly right, it's there home, not ours!! Still dosnt change the fact it scared the hell outa me haha kinda cool at the same time bein that close with nature (without sounding to hippy!)
But you no doubt killed it. Not cool IMO, but probably unavoidable. Not sure how painful and slow a death a broken back or punctured lungs would be for a snake. Can't really turn back to finnish the job though, and it may live. They're very hard to see.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Yeh I ran over a pair of blue tongue lizards yesterday in the middle of a fireroad. Felt really bad all day.

Fish90

Likes Dirt
But you no doubt killed it. Not cool IMO, but probably unavoidable. Not sure how painful and slow a death a broken back or punctured lungs would be for a snake. Can't really turn back to finnish the job though, and it may live. They're very hard to see.
Trust me I felt horrible, as I said above, it's there home not ours!! I'm not cool with harming the locals but as u said, sometimes unavoidable!! RIP buddy

They're pretty tough little bastards so I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. And as much as it is best to avoid hurting the nature you always need to look out for number one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cameron_15

Eats Squid
I had a rather large pregnant tiger snake hanging out in my house last night. I think she'd just come by for a cold one as she was hanging out under the bar fridge.

My mum was home by herself when she said it came in through the front door as she was leaving and tried to strike at her a couple of times. 2 police officers came to have a look around and try to find the snake, they found nothing and said it's safe to go back inside. At this point I'd returned home from work and a rather exuberant (Shirtless, in thongs and possible drunk!) snake catcher had just turned up.

The police officers informed him they'd searched the house and the snake wasn't in there, but he marched right on in, found the snake, picked it up with his bare hands and put it in a plastic box in under a minute.

Everyone was pretty stunned at how quickly this guy did what he did. Certainly not the most professional looking bloke, but he knew his stuff! or he's insane. I'm not sure.

Here's a pic:

1497790_10152081759804462_464092368_n.jpg

So yeah, sleep well tonight guys.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I had a rather large pregnant tiger snake hanging out in my house last night. I think she'd just come by for a cold one as she was hanging out under the bar fridge.

My mum was home by herself when she said it came in through the front door as she was leaving and tried to strike at her a couple of times. 2 police officers came to have a look around and try to find the snake, they found nothing and said it's safe to go back inside. At this point I'd returned home from work and a rather exuberant (Shirtless, in thongs and possible drunk!) snake catcher had just turned up.

The police officers informed him they'd searched the house and the snake wasn't in there, but he marched right on in, found the snake, picked it up with his bare hands and put it in a plastic box in under a minute.

Everyone was pretty stunned at how quickly this guy did what he did. Certainly not the most professional looking bloke, but he knew his stuff! or he's insane. I'm not sure.

Here's a pic:

View attachment 279740

So yeah, sleep well tonight guys.
Snake catcher will be fine as long as he doesn't take an interest in stingrays.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
My young bloke run over a brown snake at Lake Mountain on Saturday
I was about 5 s behind him I got there to find it reared up about 50cm and decidedly pissed off
It was on the double track just after the summit so was able to go around him at speed but it it struck out at my back wheel.
There was enough time to warn the guy behind me to stop which he did
Matt didn't even realise he'd run over it

scblack

Leucocholic
The worst run-over I had was driving west from Port Macquarie years ago. Came around a corner and a roo was splatted on the road, flattened. As I ran over it, it stuck it's head up! I hit the head under the car. There was nothing I could have done for it, and sincerely hope my hit killed the poor thing. My wife cried for ages after that, was not nice at all.

I have run into red-bellied black snakes a couple of times near my home in Castle Hill Sydney. One was slithering across the track and I saw him and stopped. The other I was doing a wee and basically stepped on it behind a tree, then it slithered off under a rock.