XC Tweener mash-up build.

moorey

call me Mia
Bike number two, as requested by my boss, for his sons 10[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday. Started life as an partially upgraded Talon 4 (1x10 drivetrain, XT cranks and Maxxis HR2’s), care of the AWESOME Redline 316, who more often than not solves my problems before I know I even have them. Thanks buddy. :hug: Bike was bloody heavy though, mainly due to the lead stock forks and wheels (and the HR2’s).
Was initially determined to keep it 27.5, so bought Dmans XC30’s and a headset to run the tapered steerer forks in the 44mm head tube…..but before even fitting them, decided to run it 26, as I had nice wheels handy, and a 100mm fox fork (that I [Stoo] extended to 120 (ta Nigs)

All was going well, collecting parts, stewing on the build…Checked with the boss Tuesday, about when it was needed to be finished….End of June/Early July…..all good. Just a few remaining small parts in the mail, and the forks to extend to 120. Them Wednesday morning, he texts me in a panic that his son’s birthday was actually Friday (today), so he would need the bike Thursday. Anyhoo, bit of a panic, but ducked out of work a bit early to get Stoo’s assistance in lengthening fork travel, then a long evening, and into the night, tracking down the remaining pieces from my own parts pile to get it running in time. The good news though, he got it this morning, and is over the moon with it, as is the boss and his wife. :woot:

Its A true bitza, running 26” forks and wheels in a 27.5” frame. The fork lengthening, shorter cranks and bigger tyres were necessary to get the cranks and BB up, after ditching the taller forks and wheels. Its only sitting about 15mm lower than it was when stock, which is actually ideal for a kid.

Frame – 2015 Giant Talon 15” (27.5”)
Front shock/fork – 26” Fox RL F series 120mm
Handlebars – Giant connect 690mm
Stem – Dabomb 50mm
Grips – Jetblack lock on
Saddle – Giant Connect
Seatpost – Raceface Ride Zero offset
Brakes Currently Tektro Auriga. Will probably swap for shimano when I find some.
Rotors – XTR Centrelock 180/160
Cranks – SRAM S1000 170mm
Chainring – Praxis Works NW 32t
Chain – XT 10sp
Pedals – Currently Jetblack, swapping when new red ones arrive.
Rear derailleur – Deore Shadow +
Rear shifter – Deore 10sp
Cassette – XT 11-36
Hubs – DT340 Classic
Rims – Stans Arch ZTR 26”
Tyres – Nobby Nic 2.4”
Tubes – Black ones
Total weight – 11.5kg. Could easily knock 500-700g if I set it up tubeless, and tweaked a few parts, but it’s a sensible, bomb proof build for a kid whose dad isn’t overly mechanical.

IMG_3682.jpg
IMG_3680.jpg

redline316

Likes Dirt
Bike number two, as requested by my boss, for his sons 10[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday. Started life as an partially upgraded Talon 4 (1x10 drivetrain, XT cranks and Maxxis HR2’s), care of the AWESOME Redline 316, who more often than not solves my problems before I know I even have them. Thanks buddy. :hug: Bike was bloody heavy though, mainly due to the lead stock forks and wheels (and the HR2’s).
Was initially determined to keep it 27.5, so bought Dmans XC30’s and a headset to run the tapered steerer forks in the 44mm head tube…..but before even fitting them, decided to run it 26, as I had nice wheels handy, and a 100mm fox fork (that I [Stoo] extended to 120 (ta Nigs)

All was going well, collecting parts, stewing on the build…Checked with the boss Tuesday, about when it was needed to be finished….End of June/Early July…..all good. Just a few remaining small parts in the mail, and the forks to extend to 120. Them Wednesday morning, he texts me in a panic that his son’s birthday was actually Friday (today), so he would need the bike Thursday. Anyhoo, bit of a panic, but ducked out of work a bit early to get Stoo’s assistance in lengthening fork travel, then a long evening, and into the night, tracking down the remaining pieces from my own parts pile to get it running in time. The good news though, he got it this morning, and is over the moon with it, as is the boss and his wife. :woot:

Its A true bitza, running 26” forks and wheels in a 27.5” frame. The fork lengthening, shorter cranks and bigger tyres were necessary to get the cranks and BB up, after ditching the taller forks and wheels. Its only sitting about 15mm lower than it was when stock, which is actually ideal for a kid.

Stem – Dabomb 50mm
Grips – Jetblack lock on
Saddle – Giant Connect
Brakes Currently Tektro Auriga. Will probably swap for shimano when I find some.
Chain – XT 10sp
Cassette – XT 11-36
Hubs – DT340 Classic
Tyres – Nobby Nic 2.4”
Tubes – Black ones
Total weight – 11.5kg. Could easily knock 500-700g if I set it up tubeless, and tweaked a few parts, but it’s a sensible, bomb proof build for a kid whose dad isn’t overly mechanical.

View attachment 329327
View attachment 329328
Looks good mate, glad he likes it happy to of helped.

moorey

call me Mia
Killer little rig for a 10yo..... credit to ya!
Cheers. I know he's going to have a ball on it. A perfect pair for the giant I delivered to his sister a bit over a month ago. Its been killing him, watching her ride this for the last 6 weeks, while he was on a beat up old BMX.:boink:
IMG_2989.jpg

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

Stem – Dabomb 50mm
Grips – Jetblack lock on
Saddle – Giant Connect
Chain – XT 10sp
Cassette – XT 11-36
Hubs – DT340 Classic
Tyres – Nobby Nic 2.4”
Tubes – Black ones

View attachment 329327
View attachment 329328
Champion. See you in 4 years when my to be MTB racer turns 10

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why you dont have a full time business doing this........

Nice build, hoping to do something similar with a spec rockhopper shortly.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Why you dont have a full time business doing this........

Nice build, hoping to do something similar with a spec rockhopper shortly.
+1. If you don't mind bikes being your income, I think it would suit you well Moorey. part time, anyways :thumb:

moorey

call me Mia
+1. If you don't mind bikes being your income, I think it would suit you well Moorey. part time, anyways :thumb:
Cheers guys. Doing things for work tends to kill the passion though....besides, if I even charged $5 an hour on top of the builds...it would make them unfeasible. :behindsofa: Maybe I just overthink and overwork these things... :noidea:

moorey

call me Mia
Champion. See you in 4 years when my to be MTB racer turns 10
This is the 8th bike in 2 months I've either built or sourced. I think I'll need a 4 year break to recover...both my parts collection, and mentally.....

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I promise to give you at least 4 days notice. Plus or minus a month.

Sent from the USS Enterprise

slowmick

38-39"
This is the 8th bike in 2 months I've either built or sourced. I think I'll need a 4 year break to recover...both my parts collection, and mentally.....
kinda explains why you are always on the look out for parts or a deal ...

moorey

call me Mia
26" is fine for the boys.
And if you offering to build me a bike i would be more than happy with 27.5.
How 'matching' would you require? The cheat option with a small bike is to find a small frame, then buy a cheap complete larger bike with decent spec, swap over everything, then sell the larger frame. Can usually sort something pretty sweet for $500-800. Complete, decent small bikes are becoming like rocking horse shit.