Type 2 vs Shadow Plus

Danny B

Likes Dirt
I'm looking to upgrade to 1x10 from 2x9. So naturally I'm looking for a clutched RD. Now that the dust has settled, which system are people preferring? Which is more solid/durable? Does one shifter better than the other?

Looking at the setups around the X7/X9 - ZEE/SLX/XT price range.

Have been edging towards the Zee RD + XT/Saint Shifter combo (mostly because I prefer Shimano shifters). Having said that I have been told by one source that I should be going the SRAM route (type 2 is more robust... supposedly)

And should I be getting a short or mid cage with a 11-36 ... (will this become 11-38?)

Advice/thoughts are most appreciated.

(And yes I have used the search function :peep:)

moorey

call me Mia
For the same brass, my zee feels a whole world solider than my slx. Not a fan of the SRAM based on limited feedback from a couple of mates using them.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Got both, xt in plus and type 2 in xx1.

SP seems quieter and harder to shift, T2 a little simpler but makes some decent cracking noises doing the bounce down rocks. I'd really recommend the gore type cables with either system.

SRAM deraileur s really do stick out a long way, so ground contact on the drive side pretty much always means deraileur ground contact too. If you snap deraileur s off, I'd defiantly go shimano, because that sucker is really nicely tucked in out of the way.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Upgraded a few months ago to 1x10 myself, went the Shimano XT Shadow+, very happy with it so far, it has coped some hits and is still shifting crisply. They actually work as advertised.

I didn't consider or research into the benefits of SRAM, been using shimano for 24 years, hasn't let me down yet.

teK--

Eats Squid
I have had both, X9 Type2 and XT Shadow+.

XT hands down better one.

more sturdy construction full metal body whereas X9 was mostly plastic.

XT also can adjust clutch to compensate for wear and tear.

Also I upgrade to XT brakes so the XT shifter bolts right on to the i-spec mount.

A short cage will do 11-36 with single chainring.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I can't comment on SRAM derailleurs but I haven't had a problem yet with my SLX Shadow Plus. Very quiet and no chain slap. I did prefer the ZEE but the shop had no stock.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Running both an X9 T2 mid cage and now a Zee FR...and frankly I suspect the experience comes down to the shifters.

The X9 is managed by an X7 shifter while the Zee is managed by an XT shifter. And the XT shifter is a slightly nicer thing than the X7. Otherwise the derailleurs appear to function pretty much the same. They are both outstandingly effective at changing gears and controlling chain slap/drop.

In your circumstance I'd be running a mid cage SRAM or Zee Free Ride

MARKL

Eats Squid
Both Shimano and SRAM produce excellent excellent shifters and rear derailleurs. The choice really comes down to what shift action you prefer. Everything else is BS IMO.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This won't be a problem if you ride a hardtail but... I've got a Type 2 X9 derailleur and I'm not very happy with it at all. Mine has a horrible clunking noise that occurs when the rear suspension compresses causing the derailleur cage to extend, resulting in a clunking noise. The 'clunk' vibrates through the whole bike and creates the illusion of riding with completely worn out DU bushings. It's annoying enough that I'll be putting my standard X0 derailleur back on.

Despite my distaste for shimano shifters, I'd go with the Shadow Plus any day given my experience with my Type 2 set up.

moorey

call me Mia
This. I keep hearing this about the T2. Don't get me wrong, I'm a SRAM drivetrain fanboy, but when it comes to clutched, shimano can't be beaten.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I have also heard about this, but i have an x9 type 2 and no clucking here. Maybe i was one of the lucky ones :behindsofa:

Either that or i should enjoy the quiet ride while it lasts.

moorey

call me Mia
Dunno. Maybe there was a change made from earlier models. About half the people I hear from with the type 2 have it, but I've never asked age of the mech :noidea:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Toying around with the idea of going Shimano myself, I'd prob go down the Saint track. What's the 'feel' like in the shifting action? Is it the same as Sram? Also, can you use Sram chains on Shimano? Does it make a difference?

Sorry if his is a bit of a hijack :)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
This won't be a problem if you ride a hardtail but... I've got a Type 2 X9 derailleur and I'm not very happy with it at all. Mine has a horrible clunking noise that occurs when the rear suspension compresses causing the derailleur cage to extend, resulting in a clunking noise. The 'clunk' vibrates through the whole bike and creates the illusion of riding with completely worn out DU bushings. It's annoying enough that I'll be putting my standard X0 derailleur back on.

Despite my distaste for shimano shifters, I'd go with the Shadow Plus any day given my experience with my Type 2 set up.
Don't know about you, but the only way I found out the clunk was from the deraileur was by reading forums- I would be blissfully unaware otherwise. And I must say however that it is way way quieter that std .

What's the shifting action like for others on the sp versus t2? Mine is heaps lighter for the t2, which makes the trade off for a little noise over rough stuff acceptable for me.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Don't know about you, but the only way I found out the clunk was from the deraileur was by reading forums- I would be blissfully unaware otherwise. And I must say however that it is way way quieter that std .

What's the shifting action like for others on the sp versus t2? Mine is heaps lighter for the t2, which makes the trade off for a little noise over rough stuff acceptable for me.
My t2 is way lighter than my xo non clutched that it replaced. Not sure if I like it better or not, but I'll get used to it.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I'm guessing that the clunking T2's are fitted to full sus bikes? And I wonder how many of these have the correct cage length (and chain length) for the setup.

Having played with both I'm fairly sure that the T2 clutch is stronger in mechanical feel/action that than the Zee at least. It is certainly harder to trigger the clutch by hand with the T2 and it comes back with some force. This might account for the clunk as the suspension decompresses and releases the clutch...

muvro

Likes Dirt

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dunno. Maybe there was a change made from earlier models. About half the people I hear from with the type 2 have it, but I've never asked age of the mech :noidea:
Mine is brand new purchased about two months ago. So it wouldn't seem like they've fixed the problem. I've encountered the same when asking around. Some have, some don't. I think it's possibly to do with chain growth and the cage extending and overcoming the clutch mechanism. I guess it kind of makes sense why some get it and some don't. :noidea:

I had no idea about the clunk, otherwise I would have just moved straight over to Shadow Plus. I was convinced it was to do with the shock bushings, hardware, or linkages at first. But when I had the shock out inspecting everything I noticed the clunk was coming from the mech as I cycled through the travel. Chain on clunk, chain off no clunk. Quick Google search confirmed all.

I'm guessing that the clunking T2's are fitted to full sus bikes? And I wonder how many of these have the correct cage length (and chain length) for the setup.
Yep, mine's on my DH bike, so it's a short cage. I haven't played too much with the chain length. I did extend it by a link to see if it made a difference, but it did nothing. Not really sure if a link would be anywhere near enough to make any difference anyway haha