Tyre advice please. What would you do?

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
On my yeti sb5c I'm currently running a 2.4 ardent front + 2.2 (ish) ikon rear. - hangover from my previous hardtail.
The ardent has limited life left now and I'm wanting to replace with something meatier up front. Prob a high roller or minion.

Would you consider a half worn ardent on the rear or just keep the ikon there?

Buying two tyres is out of the question atm.. :(

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yes, I mad bro.

I rate my 3C exo 2.4 HR’s more than the 2.3 DHF’s I ran. When I get rims wider than the 25.3mm internals I’m currently running I might try a 2.5 DHF, but I’m not in a rush to rebuild wheels for the sake of a tyre change.

#highrollerforlyfbroseph

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Haha wondered if I'd set some folk off. I just thought that would be too much of a mismatch with the ikon..
why the minion over the hr?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha wondered if I'd set some folk off. I just thought that would be too much of a mismatch with the ikon..
why the minion over the hr?
I would go 2.5 DHF up front and use Ardent in rear. Maybe even look for a second hand DHR off someone. I just bought tyres from here and found they were cheapest with $10 cash off with code happy. https://www.bicyclestore.com.au/

From the MTBDirect website:

Highroller Compromises:
- Doesn't roll as fast as a Minion DHF or Minion DHR 2
- Wears out a bit faster on the rear than the Minion DHF or DHR 2
If you mainly ride fast, hardpack trails, the Minion DHF or DHR 2 will be better options as they roll a bit faster, and the big block knobs are more stable at speed.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Minion DHR2 / HR2 up front and pop the Ardent out back.

The DHR2 has slightly better grip up front than the HR2, with the DHF slightly behind that. Well, that's what I found anyway...

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
This is most interesting, and goes against what I'd thought
I've used HR's and DHF's front and rear on trail and DH bikes.

From what I could tell the DHF outclassed the HR in every area except braking and mud clearing.

The DHF did feel a lot better in the dry. I could never understand the HR love.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've used HR's and DHF's front and rear on trail and DH bikes.

From what I could tell the DHF outclassed the HR in every area except braking and mud clearing.

The DHF did feel a lot better in the dry. I could never understand the HR love.
What does the DHF roll like on hard pack and dirt over hard pack, I always thought it was a tyre for more loose stuff. Anything with a chunky tread normally squirms on hard pack through the corners.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Minion DHR2 / HR2 up front and pop the Ardent out back.

The DHR2 has slightly better grip up front than the HR2, with the DHF slightly behind that. Well, that's what I found anyway...
I agree with this too, but I prefer the feel of the HR2 up front to the DHR2, for some reason.

The Magic Mary is better up front than all of them, but is let down by weak knobs and the snakeskin casing is a bit weak sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

camo71

Likes Dirt
I've got ardent exo on mine with a minion dhf upfront , both well worn now after 6 months + , been pretty happy with them...
I'm a hack though so ymmv ...
Mostly dry general trail riding on loose over hard and med / hard pack with rocky sections ... Seems to be a pretty good all round combo to me - used an ardent on the back a few times

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
IMHO, the Ardent was a better rear on the 26 than 27.5 (both 2.4), but I can't compare it to the Ikon in either size.

On the same note, I think the DHF is better on the rear in 27.5 than 26....

I've only ridden the DHR2 up front and on 27.5.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I changed to DHF /Ardent combo 3-4 weeks ago and raced it last weekend and was really impressed. Annoyingly I didn't have any big moments which tells me I was riding much slower than the trye combos limits.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Not alot of love for the HR :(

I run tyres untill there worn out, and I found the HR better in the wet, and slower tighttechy trails as you don’t need to lean it over as far to engage side nobs. Less out right corner grip, but it’s marginal. It is a boat anchor on the rear though, good for real steep downs but not much else.

Any one else keen to try the new maxxis assguy tyre in a trail casing? Looks mint for australia.