Tyre choice for 40mm derby rims

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just bought some super wide carbon hoops (34mm internal 40mm external) and chasing suggestions on tyre choice from people running wide tyres.

Was thinking of grabbing the 27.5 x 2.5 minion dhf wt for the front and a 27.5 x 2.4 hr2 for the back.

Also have a new 2.4 ardent in the shed but concerned it might be a lot 'taller' than the 2.5 dhf and look ridiculous.

I'd love to hear what others are running or would suggest for wide rims.

Cheers

teK--

Eats Squid
Just bought some super wide carbon hoops (34mm internal 40mm external) and chasing suggestions on tyre choice from people running wide tyres.

Was thinking of grabbing the 27.5 x 2.5 minion dhf wt for the front and a 27.5 x 2.4 hr2 for the back.

Also have a new 2.4 ardent in the shed but concerned it might be a lot 'taller' than the 2.5 dhf and look ridiculous.

Cheers
I didn't find the HR2 to work well on the rear with wide rims (30mm here). That was the 2.3. I imagine the 2.4 is not much wider. What you want is the WT version if they have one, otherwise the WT DHR2 2.4

Ideate

I like 2.5 minion on my front LB 38. 2.4 Ardent worked well also on the rear until I tore a hole in it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pushys are sold out of the dhr 2.4. They only have the DH casing. I wonder how slow a 2.5 dhf wt would be front and rear...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for the heads up about the hr2. I have read similar elsewhere regarding that tyre on wide rims. Just so happy with how it performs on my current wheels. 25mm internal. I think I'll give it a miss for the new wheels.

Ideate

Pushys are sold out of the dhr 2.4. They only have the DH casing. I wonder how slow a 2.5 dhf wt would be front and rear...

Pretty slow on the flat compared to something more roll friendly. I wanted to get one of those 2.8 Nobby Nics for the front but thought I should use up my garage stash before spending another $100. Try one of those?

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think 2.8 could be a bit too big. Plus I'm keen on trying out the wide tread minion. I ended up ordering a 2.5 wide tread minion for the front and I'll try using the 2.4 ardent I already have.

mint355

Likes Dirt

Cheers
I got 40mm Derbys running the DHF 2.5 wt on the front and aggressor 2.3 on the rear at the moment, have also used a DHR 2 2.4 wt and WTB breakout 2.5's. Only tyre so far that I didnt like the square profile was minion ss, heard the high roller 2 squares up alot too!!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I got 40mm Derbys running the DHF 2.5 wt on the front and aggressor 2.3 on the rear at the moment, have also used a DHR 2 2.4 wt and WTB breakout 2.5's. Only tyre so far that I didnt like the square profile was minion ss, heard the high roller 2 squares up alot too!!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
the minion SS is a square tyre to begin with anyway. i had a rock razor on 21mm internal rims and it wasn't much different to the SS on my 30mm internal rims.
HR II does square up quite a bit though.

i've run 2.3 spesh butcher, slaughter and purgatory as well as 2.3 maxxis minion DHF, DHR II and SS, and a 2.5" DHF on 30mm internal rims. all seem like a good shape. 2.5" on a 30mm is pretty sweet though, nice big bag and round tread.

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
I think 2.8 could be a bit too big. Plus I'm keen on trying out the wide tread minion. I ended up ordering a 2.5 wide tread minion for the front and I'll try using the 2.4 ardent I already have.

I've tried both and currently have the 2.8 Nobby Nic on 30mm internal carbon Zelvy's fitted to a normal Pike, just fits but had to remove the mucky nutz fender. In loose dry conditions I ride the Nobby Nic shits all over the Minion WT, in frequent mud on a normal pike it may clog up enough to be a concern, not a problem with a Fox. I run 16psi on it up front and ride a 150mm travel bike doing big drops and jumps in rocky terrain, can't seem to make exo tyres last but the 2.8 Nic is doing fine. Doesn't fold over in corners at all on 30mm internal so 34mm would be mint. Another good big volume tyre is the WTB breakout 2.5, I have one that I'm hoping fits on the rear of my Altitude but waiting for my Onza Citius to wear out first.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd love to see a 2.8 nobby nic mounted on a pike in the flesh before getting carried away. Either way I'll give the 2.5 wt minion and 2.4 ardent a run for starters

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt

For those interested, this is what a 2.5 minion wide tread and a 2.4 ardent look like.

The minion is bigger than expected which is great.