Tyre confusion: Larsen TT vs Crossmark

nickdos

Likes Dirt
Bit of background: I'm looking for a dry weather tyre that will be well suited to Mt Stromlo for my Trance X2 (2011). My current tyres are the stock Nevegal 2.1 but I'm finding them so-so in the loose dirt over hard pack (front washes out a fair bit). I also want to try DYI tubeless (ghetto) and the Nevegal sidewall are too weak and porous for it (I've read anyway).

So I'm looking at these two tyres because they are cheap ($20 each), seem to be well suited to hardpack/loose terrain and should be able to be easy to convert to tubeless. Feel free to suggest other tyres but keep in mind cost and tubeless conversion ease.

Should I get two of the same or different front and back and which ones?

The Larsen come in 2.0 and Crossmark in 2.1. Could anyone comment on whether there is much difference in tyre width, cornering ability and impact resistance between these two.

Cheers Nick

MARKL

Eats Squid
I am biased but I think Crossmarks are completly useless and you should buy any other tyre.

Now that I have got that off my chest have you considered the Maxxis Monorail? I am running that on the rear of my XC bike (Nevegal front) at the moment and find it excellent.

My reccomendations, in order, would be:
Rear:
1. Maxxis Monorail
2. Maxxis LarsenTT or Kenda Small block (very similar tyres)

Front: (this is my preference for all conditions - specific for stromlo I might reverse the order)
1. Nevegal
2. Larsen TT or Smallblock 8

I would also consider a Kenda Slant 6 or Maxxis Aspen

Just as a side note my Nevegal front tyre has no problem running tubeless - been running it tubeless for about two years never had an issue - that includes Wildside in Tasmania. Monorails have been perfect as well.

Stromlo can be very hard and dusty - even the Minions on my downhill bike had no grip weekend before last at Stromlo.

D.O.B

Likes Bikes
i ride in similar conditions (loose, dry rocks over hardpack) and have tried several tire combinations. for rear the best i've found is the larsen tt, doesn't slip at all and i wouldn't use anything else now. as for the front, i'm still experimenting but am currently sticking with a high roller. it needs to be something with big side knobs or it just slips out straight away, the larsen or crossmark doesn't cut it and kenda have never seemed to stick.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like the Crossmark and rate it highly, although I'm in the process of finding a new tyre too...

The Crossmark's size is great, It looks big but it's not heavy like a 2.35. It grips ok and it drifts well. I find with the Larsen and High Roller, they stick great and everyone gives them props but they don't drift. They grip ok, but when they let go, they let go big and you'll crash. Also I don't think they grip that much better then the crossmark anyway.

The Larsen TT (not the original) is a pretty good rear tyre but not for the front. I'm testing out Kenda small blocks at the moment and so far there very surprising! they don't look much but there working.

My 2c. Crossmark > Larsen

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Larson TT is a great tyre for the rear. The 2.0 Larson is about the same width as a 2.1 Crossmark.

Do it, you won't regret it.

ray

Likes Bikes
I've always been a big fan of Larsens, but am now switching the fleet slowly to Kenda Small blocks....they seem really good, last a long time, roll quickly, don't like mud so much tho..a good all rounder.
As for Crossmarks, having a bad experience with them on my 29er at the moment, they wore out through the sidewalls on both sides of both tyres, like they've been rubbing...what the hell they could rub on is beyond me, but the bike shop initially thinks it's my fault...waiting on an answer on that.

Go the Kenda's...

Ray

adaib

Likes Dirt
+1 for Monorails. they're pretty good in the finer sized loose. but if the gravel gets any larger, probably up to like pea gravel size, i'd use Maxxis Ranchero. They're awesome, super fast rolling and grippy when it gets loose or wet. they struggle a bit on wet roots and loam, but you don't have to worry about that at Stromlo! I think they're the ultimate tire

nigelh

Likes Bikes
I like the Larsen on the rear and Crossmark on the front. The Larsens seem to through up lots of dust in my face when on the front.

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
Off topic a bit but, IMO Larsens are far superior in mud compared to SB8s. If that matters to you...

Crossmarks are faster rolling in the dry, loose but I find the cornering traction of the Larsens better. Better braking from the Crossmarks, maybe? All based on rear tyre XC / AM use. Both are quite predictable and I have found that they slide in a similar way - the Xmarks are a little squarer, Larsens, rounder profile. SB8s are not great under the brakes and get overwhelmed quite easily, the cornering ability of the SB8 is not as good as either Maxxis tyre. Fast, but limited in variable conditions.

I have had a pair of Crossmarks that were radically out of balance and also had a crooked tread, making the rear wheel feel like it had a major wobble on smoother surfaces - quite unpleasant. Worth looking out for.

Rememeber that tyres are like ice cream, your favourite flavour will be different to other people's! Run what works for you and that means you'll need to experiment. :rolleyes:

cooken

Likes Dirt
I've spent a bit of time at Stomlo on crossmarks, pretty ordinary as a front tyre, especially around the sweeping sandy corners like on party line. They are quick though.

Have people had success running the non-UST small block's tubeless? Thinking of crossmark rear, small block front.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
Front tyre suggestions wanted

Thanks for all the replies so far. Its seems either the LarsenTT, Crossmark or even Monorail would be a good rear tyre but I'm still uncertain about a front tyre.

So please share your front tyre recommendations for dry Stromlo conditions...

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Anyone used the Maxxis Ikon yet?
Yes - my son who rides at the pointy end of xco, ran them on front at Stromlo Choc foot and thought they were great. (Monorails on rear). The ikon have a nice round profile and plenty of bag and cornering grip. (Ran about 24psi tubeless). Previously rode with Aspens which I think would also be great for Stromlo like surfaces.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
After a bit more "research" I'm leaning towards putting the Maxxis Advantage on the front. Anyone tried this tyre?

adaib

Likes Dirt
After a bit more "research" I'm leaning towards putting the Maxxis Advantage on the front. Anyone tried this tyre?
yep, pretty grippy in basically everythig i've tried it on. however, i think its more at home on wet loam and roots/ all round wet rides. It is hell grippy, but i found it rolls pretty slowly, you can feel it significantly. Also, they're a bit heavy, so unless you were to go the eXCeption series or a 2.0 then, that'd slow you down further. Those downsides don't matter in the wet so much, so i keep in in the shed for those super wet and slippery races only...

scbullit

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the replies so far. Its seems either the LarsenTT, Crossmark or even Monorail would be a good rear tyre but I'm still uncertain about a front tyre.

So please share your front tyre recommendations for dry Stromlo conditions...
Maxxis Rendez on the front - great cornering grip!

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run a non UST Nevegal on the front tubeless (works great) and a UST Larson TT on the back (as stated before). Our trails in Townsville are very similar to Stromlo, except we probably have more rocks.

This combination works really well. The larson has helped me clear sections that I never could on a Crossmark, through grip alone. The nevegal on the front is very confident inspiring. I ran an Ignitor and the difference was chalk and cheese. Couldn't get the Nevegal back on fast enough.

This may not work as well in other conditions, but on our loose, rocky trails they are great.

Squims

Likes Bikes
I'm currently running on my Trance X2 a Maxxis Ignitor on the front with the Larsen on the rear - have been for some time including the Choc Foot at Stromlo on Sunday. Have also used the Maxxis Rendez on the front with the Larsen rear. I find both combos are great around the Canberra area (for a 48 year old mid-pack fossil!). I've got a new Monorail to put on the back when the Larsen carks it (soon), but my 19 year old son is currently running the Monorail on the rear (with a Nevegal front) and loves it.
As one of the earlier dudes said, favourite tyres are like favourite ice cream (or words to that effect). I've got a Nevegal to try on the front after the Ignitor explodes, not because I'm dissatisfied with the Ignitor but because I just want to try the Nevegal. But it wouldn't surprise me if I eventually end up running the Ignitor/ Larsen combo again. Very versatile, grippy, tough and great value.

Last edited: