Tyre helllllllp!

Fish90

Likes Dirt
I live at the base of willunga hill....there's a pretty cool downhill track that follows the road there, only problem is that I have to ride up the road to get to the track! It's about a 3km road climb to get therw and wanted to know how much damage is actually being done to my tyres but riding them on the road? I run a Hans Dampf (F) and rapid Ralph (R)

Thanks

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I live at the base of willunga hill....there's a pretty cool downhill track that follows the road there, only problem is that I have to ride up the road to get to the track! It's about a 3km road climb to get therw and wanted to know how much damage is actually being done to my tyres but riding them on the road? I run a Hans Dampf (F) and rapid Ralph (R)

Thanks
Better off riding up the road and saving your legs than worrying about tread wear. As long as you aren't making sharp turns (so you can hear the traction) it won't do much. Tyres are made for being used, the sooner you wear through your original tyres you can experiment with some different options. Try Maxxis next!

teK--

Eats Squid
If I have to go any decent distance on the road I ride off the shoulder or wherever there is no asphalt.

Fish90

Likes Dirt
If I have to go any decent distance on the road I ride off the shoulder or wherever there is no asphalt.
Unfortunately there is a barrier which prevents you from riding off the shoulder because u will fall to your death otherwise haha

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Better off riding up the road and saving your legs than worrying about tread wear. As long as you aren't making sharp turns (so you can hear the traction) it won't do much. Tyres are made for being used, the sooner you wear through your original tyres you can experiment with some different options. Try Maxxis next!
That what I thought, ohk cool, what maxxis have u experimented with that uve liked??

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Riding up the hill isn't going to wear the tyres as much as coming down and putting all the forces into your tyres. On the road, it'll only wear the centre knobs but that won't happen too quickly.

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Willunga tracks are on private land are they not?
The ones that were raced on the "inside line" downhill races are but there is a track that follows the old willunga hill road, starting from the fodder shop on the top of the hill

mitchy_

Llama calmer
3 kilometres on any kind of surface without catastrophic failure seems like a high expectation for schwalbes...

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
They will be fine.

On top of trails, I also commute on my Trance due to not having another more suitable bike, and working only 15 mins ride from home.
I still get around, or a bit over a year out of my tyres.

Previously Hans Dampf (F) and Nobby Nic (R), replaced the Nic due to two sidewall tears and now on a Rock Razor.

Been on this Dampf for over a year I think and it hasn't even worn out the little groove in the knobs.
Pretty good, actually.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
4 choices:

HTFU and ride up the trail you plan to descend.

Buy some hard compound tyres like Maxxis 70a so that bitumen doesn't eat them alive and accept the small reduction in off-road traction.

Suck up the expense of wearing out your super-tacky tyres on the road.

Find a friend who'll drive you up for shuttle runs.