Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Does anyone even use these guys anymore unless they have the sole distributorship for a product? Not cheap, not user friendly and slow postage
I’ve had a few warranty issues that they’ve sorted without question every time I would say going above and beyond on occasion.
I always get fast shipping too.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not cheap, good customer support and quick postage in my experience... So yeah I always check MTBD among others. Even the "not cheap" part isn't as big a deal at the moment as the only truly cheap options (Germans) come with a massive shipping delay and I'm impatient as hell.
18 months ago I bought nearly everything from them but recently I use BikeBug, TBE and Pushys at a pinch.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had the wrong parts sent out from MTBD and they didn't muck about correcting the issue, they sent the parts direct from the supplier with 24hr shipping. Their customer service is top-notch.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What's wrong (apart from the erroneous single price)?
When the question is also the answer...

Does anyone even use these guys anymore unless they have the sole distributorship for a product? Not cheap, not user friendly and slow postage
Not cheap, getting progressively less user friendly in terms of Aftersales service, but I do (mostly) get fast postage.

I used to buy a lot of stuff through MTB Direct, but I have hardly bought anything from them this year because everything I've wanted is always out of stock. Some stuff Shimano I've bought this year has come into stock at Pushys, sold out and been restocked again before anything's come into MTB-Direct. And the prices have been lower (by a lot) at Pushys too. I tend to use Pushys as I have a decent chance of getting everything in one order, instead of ordering bits and pieces from all over the world trying to save $10 and not being able to finish a build because I'm missing one part..

Flow-Rider

Burner
@moorey, turn the volume up because there's a subliminal message for you at this point of the Video :D, and he said earlier to make you stretch the insert if it's new.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I put the Nukeproof ARD in last night, it was pretty simple. Just put one bead, insert the insert, then put the other bead in while making sure it's pushed into the centre of the rim. So pretty much like changing any other tyre but you just have to push a bit harder against the insert.
It took me maybe 5 minutes, I reckon I could do it without tyre levers on the side of trail if needed. I haven't used Cushcore but I assume it's very different because this wasn't at all difficult.
As a reference this was a Michelin AM Rear 29x2.35 on a 30mm ID rim.

Moorey, send me your shipping address I've got something for you.

moorey

call me Mia
So I put the Nukeproof ARD in last night, it was pretty simple. Just put one bead, insert the insert, then put the other bead in while making sure it's pushed into the centre of the rim. So pretty much like changing any other tyre but you just have to push a bit harder against the insert.
It took me maybe 5 minutes, I reckon I could do it without tyre levers on the side of trail if needed. I haven't used Cushcore but I assume it's very different because this wasn't at all difficult.
As a reference this was a Michelin AM Rear 29x2.35 on a 30mm ID rim.

Moorey, send me your shipping address I've got something for you.

PM incoming. Will it be a picture or the actual product.

My LBS are experience in cushcore...both run it personally....the combo of rim/tyre/cushcore width maybe was the problem. 2 blokes took an hour to remove it and said don't bring it back if I want it refitted :oops:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
By the looks of things the Cushcore is much wider than the ARD and flares out above the bead which would make it a real bastard to fit.
I reckon that would probably make them more effective than the ARD but time will tell I suppose.

moorey

call me Mia
By the looks of things the Cushcore is much wider than the ARD and flares out above the bead which would make it a real bastard to fit.
I reckon that would probably make them more effective than the ARD but time will tell I suppose.
Just checked the one that gave me grief. 55mm width on a 28mm rim. No wonder if was such a bitch.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Hmmm, my recent purchase from CRC arrived at the DHL sorting facility in Sydney two days ago, then flew out to the LA and arrived at the LA sorting facility yesterday... I’m tipping I won’t be trying my ARD on Saturday:)

moorey

call me Mia
Maybe it's the plus version, designed for 32-45mm rims.
What does it measure on the inside where it fits into the rim?
About 25mm. There's no way you're comfortably pressing the tyres into the valley of a 28mm rim with that.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm, my recent purchase from CRC arrived at the DHL sorting facility in Sydney two days ago, then flew out to the LA and arrived at the LA sorting facility yesterday... I’m tipping I won’t be trying my ARD on Saturday:)
Mine went via Syndey and then Japan on the way to Melbourne in that order....

moorey

call me Mia
are you trying to stuff the whole insert into the rim well? lol
I was trying to remove a tyre that had been damaged after rim contact...even with these in. Couldn’t get bead in at all to remove the tyre. Gave it to LBS. I fitted a new tyre without Cushcore.