Tyre pressure. How things have changed.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
It doesn't matter what gauge you use as long as you always use the same gauge - The first times you set pressures you do so by feel changing until you find your pressures - then as long as you use the same gauge it will always be right
I'm leaning toward the more portable option to start with, I can at least make any changes on the trail.

I let out a bit of air right before I wrecked my DHR II, probably let out too much but it could also have been a coincidence!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'm leaning toward the more portable option to start with, I can at least make any changes on the trail.

I let out a bit of air right before I wrecked my DHR II, probably let out too much but it could also have been a coincidence!
Coincidence.
Your tear is sharp pointy object damage.

Minlak

custom titis

I guess your right - stopping every feature to adjust tyre pressures probably means you will always take the best lines from being so rested

greendream

Likes Bikes
Does anyone else use one? I'm wondering if I should go for one of these -

Or one of these -

I've been using the Topeak for quite some time now. I have found it reliable & easy to use on both the bikes and the the cars, plus the battery lasts for ages.
I find the gauges integrated into the pumps produce variable results so whether I'm using the floor pump for the bike or the compressor at the servo for the cars I use a tyre gauge as the reference.

Minlak

custom titis
I've been using the Topeak for quite some time now. I have found it reliable & easy to use on both the bikes and the the cars, plus the battery lasts for ages.
I find the gauges integrated into the pumps produce variable results so whether I'm using the floor pump for the bike or the compressor at the servo for the cars I use a tyre gauge as the reference.
My gauge on my floor pump is a different reading to the hand held car one but its always different by the same amount 4 psi - So just always use the same floor pump - and if I do a trailside repair its whatever my thumb says it is until next time :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I knew I had a picture somewhere. Lezyne HV pump, Lezyne HP pump and a Topeak Joe-Blow with a D2 gauge attached to the pump by some cord... this was my second D2, the other one disappeared at a 24hr race, 15 people must have used my pump that day, gauge was never seen again.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I guess your right - stopping every feature to adjust tyre pressures probably means you will always take the best lines from being so rested
Are all trail features in QLD to the right side of the trail? Or is Hambo stopping on the right hand side to go to a left side feature?

I'm so confused.

I go by hand feel and use crappy floor pump gauge to confirm pressuresish.

moorey

call me Mia
I go by hand feel and use crappy floor pump gauge to confirm pressuresish.
Same. I virtually only go by the squeeze test. When I do check, I’m always within a few PSI of my prediction, but still go by feel rather than gauge.

HamboCairns

Same. I virtually only go by the squeeze test. When I do check, I’m always within a few PSI of my prediction, but still go by feel rather than gauge.
I guess there's that and there's riders that swear even 1psi makes a big difference. I think a lightweight insert would remove that uncertainty - if I drop a little too far I can feel the trail hit the rear rim.

moorey

call me Mia
I guess there's that and there's riders that swear even 1psi makes a big difference. I think a lightweight insert would remove that uncertainty - if I drop a little too far I can feel the trail hit the rear rim.
1ps might make a difference to a seriously attuned rider....it takes 3-4 minimum for me to really notice. That said, it’s all about terrain. Sometimes 30 feels like it’s flat, other times 20 feels like it’s a road tyre.
At the Falls Creek enduro the other weekend, I upped the rear to 30 due to sharp rocks and still rimmed out plenty of times...but the soft dirt and slop in other sections felt like I’d lost air.
TLDR, I run pressures more on instinct and feel, but make up the bottom half of any result sheet, so it’s not necessarily great advice.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hambo - im 100kg , riding 2.8tyres Full Sus bike - with tubes
Front no more than 22psi , Rear no less thn 18psi
i don't hit the rims , i also don't use all my suspension travel

if the front is slippy i let it down to 'one squeeze '.......this equats to about 14psi

Fatbike ..anymore than 3-4 psi is a waste . 7in the rear is good

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I love my Topeak digital gauge. My floor pump gauge starts at 30 PSI and becomes more inaccurate the higher it goes. I also like the look of those Lezyne pumps and will probably go for that when my trusty old Tioga stops moving air.

HamboCairns

1ps might make a difference to a seriously attuned rider....it takes 3-4 minimum for me to really notice. That said, it’s all about terrain. Sometimes 30 feels like it’s flat, other times 20 feels like it’s a road tyre.
At the Falls Creek enduro the other weekend, I upped the rear to 30 due to sharp rocks and still rimmed out plenty of times...but the soft dirt and slop in other sections felt like I’d lost air.
TLDR, I run pressures more on instinct and feel, but make up the bottom half of any result sheet, so it’s not necessarily great advice.
I had no idea you raced! I'd love to give that a crack one day. Hardtail enduro would be immense fun!