Tyres for the You Yangs

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
I am about to put new tyres on my Anthem 26 for the NFF summer series at the You Yangs.
Lot of fast grit track, not much dirt.
What tyres would you recommend?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run 2.25" Schwalbe Racing Ralphs front and back, Maxxis Ikons would probably work well also.
For something a little different to the norm, Kenda Karma (f) and Small Block Eight's (r) work well.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
go Geax AKA TNT front and rear tubeless- half the cost of exotic German rubber and Icons

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry for taking this OT - but JD have you used the Saguaro, and the Mezcal before if so what are they like.

I used to love the Geax tires years ago, but they would always come up narrow hence my preference for Kenda. I just looked at some more recent specs (2010) that suggests they may have changed the casings as a lot of the tires come up as wide or wider then the state size.

Look like good value tires too, paying $100 per end is madness. (I got my RR's cheap of Cleeshoy)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Sorry for taking this OT - but JD have you used the Saguaro, and the Mezcal before if so what are they like.

I used to love the Geax tires years ago, but they would always come up narrow hence my preference for Kenda. I just looked at some more recent specs (2010) that suggests they may have changed the casings as a lot of the tires come up as wide or wider then the state size.

Look like good value tires too, paying $100 per end is madness. (I got my RR's cheap of Cleeshoy)
Geax are great- retail for $60 and outlast Schwalbe by a country mile. They are not as light but far from heavy weights. Last summer I run a mezcal on the rear and Saguaro up front- 26er FS bike. I rode this combo everywhere including Buller and never failed me. The Mezcal looks so minimal and I was seriously surprised with the level of traction- they roll super quick. A Mezcal front and rear would be a great race set up in the dry. The TNT seals really well (can be rather tight to get on certain rims) and they can be run at low pressures- have strong sidewalls. I have a AKA on the rear of my 29er and will put either an AKA or Saguaro up front this summer. Size is good but have never measured. Cul you are on a 26er? - go Mezcal rear and AKA front. Fitzroy cycles stock Geax.

Last edited:

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
Maxxis IKON's. No contest. I speak from experience. They are the perfect tyre for the Kurrajong: they roll well, grip well, and are excellent quality. They are expensive, though, but there is a good reason for that.

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
Agreed, Crossmarks DO work excellently in the Kurrajong but IKONs will work just as well, and also in other places better than Crossmarks.

akashra

Eats Squid
Anything with a wide spaced tread and nothing to get bits of pea-gravel embedded between thin knobs. Ralphs, Nics, Crossmarks, ADvantage - all of these certainly work better than, say, Aspens, which were very skatey.

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
Ignitor vs Ikon

I have Ikons on but the front one in particular was worn out.
I was racing the Wombat 24 and was recommended Ignitors by Russ, so I put one on the front.
Racing at the NFF at the Youies was interesting, the Ignitor was not good in the corners, it felt slippy, I was not confident.
But then the course got off the gravel onto the dirt going down Axeman and the situation flipped. I felt the Ignitor on the front was grippy and I felt the best ever cornering in that bit of track.
So Ignitors are great in the dirt but I am going back to Ikons for the Youies.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put an old (but barely used) Crossmark on the rear during the week, and took it for a run on Friday; they aren't bad but could be better, a little skatey compared to the Racing Ralph I had on the back.

I stumbled upon this thread on another forum which I hope to have a crack at before heading out there again (link & pics below). Apparently it helps with cornering traction which I think these tires could certainly do better.
http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/maxxis-crossmark-snipping-tweaking-816662.html

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
3c exc xco

Went with the Ikons.
After the weekend rain the Youies was great, grippy and no dust.
But
the old Ikons I am taking off the bike have 3C EXC EXO on the tyres and cost me $60+
the new Ikons don't have 3C EXC EXO on the side and cost me $20+
Anyone know what the 3C EXC and EXO mean and what difference does it make (besides price)?

Last edited:

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went with the Ikons.
After the weekend rain the Youies was great, grippy and no dust.
But
the old Ikons I am taking off the bike have 3C EXC EXO on the tyres and cost me $60+
the new Ikons don't have 3C EXC EXO on the side and cost me $20+
Anyone know what the 3C EXC and EXO mean and what difference does it make (besides price)?
3C is triple compound
EXO is extra sidewall protection
EXC is the old Exception compound, which I am fairly sure had super-light side walls - I'd be surprised if they had all 3?

The difference is the weight, side wall protection and compound, in the fold-able tire weight is neither here nor there for any of the 26x2.2" Ikons as they all weigh in at <540g except the wire bead, and TR models. Similar case with the 29'ers too, although they are a little heavier.

Edit: what do you know, first tire I spot on ebay is 3C, EXC and EXO????

I can imagine the You Yangs is prime right now, I really should head out there!

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Stick with the exo if your running tubeless, the sidewalls are pretty squirmy if you are running under 30psi. Similar difference to the old scwalbe evos in 2012

fletchog

Likes Dirt
I know you have already gone with the Ikons, however on my 26" Yeti i went with a 2.25 racing ralph on the front and a Rubena Scylla on the rear and loved it, this combo also survived wet redesdale as well.

Ralphs on the 29r kill it, although rear is wearing quickly, will replace with a Scylla when needed, based on prev experience

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
vote

I know you have already gone with the Ikons, however on my 26" Yeti i went with a 2.25 racing ralph on the front and a Rubena Scylla on the rear and loved it, this combo also survived wet redesdale as well.

Ralphs on the 29r kill it, although rear is wearing quickly, will replace with a Scylla when needed, based on prev experience
i'd have to put a vote fwd for a Ralph on the front, run snakeskin Ralphs coz i ride at stockyards quite a bit, the Churn on Trav's is not good on side walls. On the reat am only getting 1000km from a Raph so might go back to cross mark . the back just follows the front anyway.