tyres?? Lopes &/or Larsen TT

reej

Likes Dirt
Just deciding on what tyres im going to put on my hardtail. Im mostly interested in either the Maxxis Lopes bling bling or the maxxis Larsen TT with both of them or a combination of them.... i will be doing 4X, dirt jumps and the occasional street sesh. and wondering if anyone has them or have used them, if they are good and why???

Open to suggestions for other tyres around th $30-$50 mark.
thanx

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blings Blings are very good tyres but don't last long, at all. I'd go for the larsens, they feel awsome.

Last edited:

Ozza

Eats Squid
I run Bling Blings and find them mad, they do last long if you have the right compound. Larsens are ment to be great but i havent ran them but also look into holly rollers and the Dmr tyre range.

Hack

Likes Bikes
Tyres

If your going to be racing 4x a Lopes Bling bling on the front and a Larsen on the rear.Its a good combo because you get the low rolling resistance of both tyres and the good side grip of the Bling Bling.

MATTY TYLER

Likes Dirt
i run bling bling on front adn rear when i race, 4x its awsome stacks of grip but dont ride them on the road, dirt only they wear down very easy. havnt tried larssens yet

Jacko Wacko

Banned
for dj, street tyres are the shiz!

so maybe you might want to try larsens because they should be good for 4x and not too bad for dj and street

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
Larsen's for sure, I've used the 42a lopes and 60a larsen's and the larsen's feel better and last waaaaaaay longer.

-Elliot-

Likes Dirt
Just for 4X I would run a pair of Maxxis Bling-Bling. I have used them and found that they corner really well with little rolling resistance. The only downside is that they wear really fast, so I would run 60a compound on the rear and 40a compound on the front. I would also look into running a DMR moto digger on the rear, I have found that they roll very smooth for street but still have plenty of grip on the dirt.

Speedy

Likes Dirt
I have 60a Blings and most of my time riding is on tar(Can't wait to go home for the holidays) and they have only just started to show wear after 3 months, their fairly heavy but grip like mad and roll really well too. I'm thinking a Larsen rear but Homebush 4X is sooo loose in some corners so I've been sticking with a Bling rear.

arpit

Banned
1. Rear tyres wear faster than front tyres
2. Therefore- Its nice to keep soft tyres on the front.
3. Traction is most important in the front
4. It's nice when your rear tyre loses traction before your front tyre
5. Therefor, Its best to put put the tyre with more cornering traction on the front,

6.The larsen has good traction for braking and accelerating, and average traction for cornering.
7. The bling bling has average traction for braking and accelerationg, and excellent traction for cornering.

With that in mind, i'd suggest a 60 durometer larsen on the rear and a 42 durometer bling bling on the front. Alternitavely, you could get a high roller for the back or front. When it wears down, it'll be almost like a bling bling :)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
arpit said:
With that in mind, i'd suggest a 60 durometer larsen on the rear and a 42 durometer bling bling on the front. Alternitavely, you could get a high roller for the back or front. When it wears down, it'll be almost like a bling bling :)
this man knows his shit...

the combo of 60a LarsenTT rear and 40/42a Bling Bling front really is hard to go past.... fast rolling, still hooks up nicely in the corners - do it

|Matt|

Banned
arpit said:
Alternitavely, you could get a high roller for the back or front. When it wears down, it'll be almost like a bling bling :)
haha my front tire used to be my rear tire and the middle knobs have all gone and thats exactly what i tell my friends when they give me shit about it, my high roller is basically a Bling Bling now.
Grips pretty well cornering.

I run my slicked high roller front and a K rad rear, will be going dual Holy Rollers soon.

scblack

Leucocholic
arpit said:
1. Rear tyres wear faster than front tyres
2. Therefore- Its nice to keep soft tyres on the front.
3. Traction is most important in the front
4. It's nice when your rear tyre loses traction before your front tyre
5. Therefor, Its best to put put the tyre with more cornering traction on the front,

6.The larsen has good traction for braking and accelerating, and average traction for cornering.
7. The bling bling has average traction for braking and accelerationg, and excellent traction for cornering.

Front Bling, rear Larsen is a very good setup - Ja-har has that setup, and works very well.

I use a High-Roller on the front of mine(rear larsen). I don't particularly like the High-roller, so am going to look at either a Bling, or a Minion when it wears down.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I would stay away from the bling bling- they're not exactly confidence inspiring (on the front anyway, although they are great for drifting) on loose dirt or gravel (which makes up most 4x and bmx tracks). I'd look at a 2.35 single ply minion or highroller instead, something which is predictable with good edge hold.

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
Daver said:
I would stay away from the bling bling- they're not exactly confidence inspiring
gotta disagree with you there Daver, I would say they give me way more confidence than almost any tire I have ridden before in corners... I really like them.
but meh it's horses for courses... or whatever

reej

Likes Dirt
Daver said:
id look at a 2.35 single ply minion or highroller instead, something which is predictable with good edge hold.

The minions edge is the same as the edge on the bling bling. then how the edges would grip differently????. plus the bling bling is lighter

Last edited:

farkus

Likes Dirt
i just put lopes x2 on my bike and they were really impresive. the design makes so much sence with the high walls and low rolling resistence in the middle tread. The other plus is that they are light and if you run front and back you can swap them when the back starts to wear down. get them from chain reaction for aprox $30.

AN AUSSIE

Likes Dirt
My revell currently has a bling bling super tacky up front and a hansventuer 60a at the back very nice set up but im after more street tyres so im gonna get sum holy rollers.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
i run lopes bling-bling 2.4's or high rollers 2.35's on my ride. cant complain about either and both have few different compunds to choose from. i currently run super tackys