Tyres/pressures for AM/Enduro racing without flats?

MSkinner

Likes Bikes
This is not another generic tyre/wheelset thread. There are a specific group of people that will be able to reply to this.

Posting up because I'm sick of blowing/slashing expensive tyre after expensive tyre and are starting to ding rims as well. I got back into mountain biking after a ten year hiatus and thought I'd ride once in a while at best. Long story short, riding XC again got boring real quick and now I'm pinning trails like Trav's, Cressy, and Junction at the You Yangs. I also ride Tassie every now and then. I don't make the best line choices all the time but I think my rolling stock should be holding up better than it has been.

My question is, what tyres are you guys riding AM flat out and racing Enduro in rocky terrain running and at what pressures?

I'd had a pretty good run with Maxxis Minion DHF Slow Reezay's at 25-30psi. Switched to Nobby Nic's for something with a better all-over tread and destroyed them quick smart (2cm gash pinning the bottom half of the North South track in Hobart and knicking the sidewall on three different occasions). Just switched to Specialized Clutch 2.3 dual compound I had sitting in the garage. Great for descending...forget pedalling them at all. Even in the flats.

What are you all running?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
High Roller II's working well for me. I don't really give a crap how fast I go up though. Only do it to come back down again.

teK--

Eats Squid
Hans Dampf 2.35 front 22psi. Rock razor 2.35 rear 25psi. Both snakeskin and run tubeless. No dings , burps, or flats. Ever.

T-Rex

Template denier
Kenda Nevigal UST 2.3. Actually managed to wear a set out, as distinct from tearing the sidewalls out of them.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Sidewalls stronger than you are running now ?ust versions might be better

2. If you are dinging rims , then increase pressure by 3psi untill it stops.

You can't copy someone else's pressures unless you know how they ride, where they ride and how heavy they are ( mostly how heavy they are)

Gripo

Eats Squid
Enduro/AM tyre pressure is 3-5psi less than what's used for XC and 3-5psi more than DH riding....

Last edited:

markb84

Likes Dirt
You can't copy someone else's pressures unless you know how they ride, where they ride and how heavy they are ( mostly how heavy they are)
^ This. Your weight and how you ride has more relevance. Just like suspension, tyre setup is personal preference and individual specific.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm using Hans Dampf 2.35 Snakeskin Trailstar front and Nobby Nic 2.25 Snakeskin Pacestar rear.

I'd like to try a Rock Razor on the rear, but I can't take more than 2.25.

I'm 90kg, so I try to hang around 24-26psi on the front (though yesterday I pumped up the front 'cause it felt too squishy and noticed it was on about 15psi and I had no dramas, lolwhat), and 28-30 on the rear.

Using tubes, too. The snakeskin tyres hold up really well!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Hans Dampf 2.35 front 22psi. Rock razor 2.35 rear 25psi. Both snakeskin and run tubeless. No dings , burps, or flats. Ever.
Same here with the difference being the rear is a super gravity carcass (SS wasn't available at the time). running around 26psi front and 28-29spi rear - at 104kg. I might try running a little lower, but last time I tried 22psi in front it ended in tears in a rock garden.

Also spending a lot of time on travs, boulder, cressy and the balck diamond section of junction.

Been completely reliable so far on flow ex's.

teK--

Eats Squid
Same here with the difference being the rear is a super gravity carcass (SS wasn't available at the time). running around 26psi front and 28-29spi rear - at 104kg. I might try running a little lower, but last time I tried 22psi in front it ended in tears in a rock garden.

Also spending a lot of time on travs, boulder, cressy and the balck diamond section of junction.

Been completely reliable so far on flow ex's.
That really confirms what Pharmaboy was saying re diff rider weight, style, terrain. I'm only 70kg fully kitted up and also ride those same trails with no issues.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
On my 26 panaracer. On my 29 slant 6 and nevegal in the wet. Nevegal hang on and seem tough. Would be a good Dh tyre. The panaracer have done several trips to buller without an issue. Love em but they don't do 29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driftking

Wheel size expert
downhill here but many tires are the same.

minnions here super tacky, light rider but some really rough rocky trails need to get into the low 30's for pressure otherwise I pinch flat. front ussually a few psi lower than rear. most trails I get away with about 26-28psi rear.

Tubeless Id run lower.

MSkinner

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the great info so far. I've figured out a few things in reading replies and riding today. I'm about 90kg +/- with riding gear. From the comments during the ride, I apparently ride rock gardens harder than most and I'm not all that graceful landing off drops/jumps. So I guess I need to run a relatively higher pressure.I also like my berms however, and I'm not getting traction at higher pressures, so I know I need a softer compound tyre. I ride down AND up, but don't ride as much as I'd like, meaning a beefier heavy tyre kills me in the climbs.

Recent tyres I've used have been:

Nobby Nic Evo - destroyed on North South track in Hobart. Excellent traction however.
Maxxis Minion DHF & R Slow Reezay - good tyres. Good traction and weight wasn't a total killer (ran tubes)
Specialized Clutch SX 2.3 dual compound - bulletproof, can run low pressures. Weighed a ton. DH tyre only.
Specialized Eskar 2.3 - horrible. Least traction I've ever had in kitty-litter covered hardpack like You Yangs.

I reckon I'm going to give the Schwalbe Hans Dampf a go up front, possibly a Rock Razor in the rear. Just need to figure out which casing/compound.

Last edited: