Uber bike pads shredding the rotor

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Anyone seen this? Literally ripping the rotor apart…

Massive grooves, and even tearing off chucks of the rotor surface and embedding it back in resulting in a raised nib that then tears a groove in the pad… Hard to show in a photo, but it’s been galling the surface, leaving it very rough.

I think they went a bit overboard with the metal in these pads. Unless I got two rotors in a row that are soft, but other pads don’t do it.

IMG_4850.jpeg
IMG_4851.jpeg
IMG_4849.jpeg

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Hmm I’ve used the white Uber pads since they introduced them without a hiccup and Uber pads for as long as I can remember.

Strange. I’ve got no ideas.

Will keep an eye on this thread though.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
have had similar on roadmoto brakes.
extra galling due to locally higher rotor temp from particular metal particles (usually lying flat relative to rotor) (and sometimes not braking hard enough often enough)

could dig/dremel these two flat metal bits out and see if it improves.
or brake harder to burn through them... (they are likely sitting proud relative to other pad material)

1699159309518.png

Haakon

have had similar on roadmoto brakes.
extra galling due to locally higher rotor temp from particular metal particles (usually lying flat relative to rotor) (and sometimes not braking hard enough often enough)

could dig/dremel these two flat metal bits out and see if it improves.
or brake harder to burn through them... (they are likely sitting proud relative to other pad material)

View attachment 404146
Feels like having to dremel out bits of the pad is a tad excessive…

Definitely race matrix pads. Maybe I’ll send Uber bike an email and see what they reckon. I quite liked their performance.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Well there you go, I thought the Race Matrix were a non metallic pad similar to my fav Trickstuff Power. Just received 4 sets a few days ago, yet to try. We have 4 bikes with Shimano quads so won't go to waste if I don't like them.

Looks like @Haakon got a few more handfuls of iron throw in his batch :p

Screenshot_20231105-153151.png

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Anyone seen this? Literally ripping the rotor apart…

Massive grooves, and even tearing off chucks of the rotor surface and embedding it back in resulting in a raised nib that then tears a groove in the pad… Hard to show in a photo, but it’s been galling the surface, leaving it very rough.

I think they went a bit overboard with the metal in these pads. Unless I got two rotors in a row that are soft, but other pads don’t do it.

View attachment 404141View attachment 404142View attachment 404143
That's standard for pads with a high metallic content. The Shimano and Clarks sintered are even more abrasive.

If you prefer less wear on the rotor look at the Trckstuff Power+ or Disco brake copper free. Be warned, they are not as good in the wet.

Haakon

That's standard for pads with a high metallic content. The Shimano and Clarks sintered are even more abrasive.

If you prefer less wear on the rotor look at the Trckstuff Power+ or Disco brake copper free. Be warned, they are not as good in the wet.
No, this isn’t standard metal pad wear. I’ve been running metal pads for decades and I’ve never seen this.
This is galling, not wear.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
No, this isn’t standard metal pad wear. I’ve been running metal pads for decades and I’ve never seen this.
This is galling, not wear.
Then you haven't been braking properly... or have put on weight. All my rotors look like that.

Add Maydena to the mix and your rotors will also have some pretty purple ranging to black rainbows as well.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Haakon

Then you haven't been braking properly... or have put on weight. All my rotors look like that.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Like i said - it’s not wear, it’s galling. There is a difference, and it’s not normal.