UCI MTB World Champs - 2009 @ Stromlo

'Ross

Eats Squid
Anyone know of decent campsites in Canberra area which are close to the city???
If there are any Aboriginals at Old Parliament House at the moment you could camp there, my sister did it a couple of years ago but I think its too cold for them at the moment. This is not a joke response either.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Ross thats pretty funny, did they say anything about it?

Last year the busses left from Woden and Civic interchange every half hour i think. I imagine something simialr this year.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Ross thats pretty funny, did they say anything about it?
Well I should add that she does a lot of work with the Koori community, has lived in Northern Territory in some of the remote communities....she's not just some random who went and hitched a tent in their park. But I'm sure anyone could do the same thing if they had the right attitude towards those who are living their at the time.

As for buses, I'm not a bus person if fact I absolutely hate buses. But one thing I have learnt here is that pretty much all the buses will take you to/via Woden, Belconnen or Civic. Im also pretty sure the special World Cup buses leave from Belconnen, if you are near a bus stop you will find it very easy to get to this location, the bus network is not really that complex in Canberra.

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
sounds like its gonna be sick

does anyone know if Graves is racing both DH and 4X???
because didnt he get 2nd at the national champs there this year!!!
i dont know for sure but i think he would only race 4x, to save energy for the race he actully has a chance at winning unless everyone in dh crashes

Ozza

Eats Squid
What do you want to know?Buses depart from most corners of the city - Civic, Woden and Belconnen. I'd imagine they will depart from the bus interchanges. More detail will apparently go up on mtbworldscanberra.com.au closer to the event.
Like how frequently etc. Being under 21 i can hire a car and will be relying on it for transport too and from the course. So if i stay anywhere in the main city i should be right for transport. Reccomend any place in particular?

Robb

Likes Dirt
Like how frequently etc. Being under 21 i can hire a car and will be relying on it for transport too and from the course. So if i stay anywhere in the main city i should be right for transport. Reccomend any place in particular?
If you stay in the city, Its easy to find the bus interchange.. I would imagine they will have signs up or something pointing out which bus terminal from the civic interchange will be going to stromlo.
Also keep a look out on http://www.action.act.gov.au/default.html

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
What a sensational day out on the mountain it was today. Sun, sun and more sun. A little wind for 10 minutes but that was about it.

Opened up the fang, the by-pass and the pouch this morning so the XCO course is ready to ride (just one minor change that will go in late August).

Planted around 700 plants in and around the trials areas and the finish area.

Thanks to all who helped - :) ...and shame on the 400 mountain bikers who went out for a ride and didn't stop to either help (just one plant would do) or say thanks (or even slow down) :(. If even a quarter of people helped it would have meant that we too could have gone for a ride. such is life.

Oh well it was all good

'Ross

Eats Squid
Saw an ad for it on TV, forget which channel, absolute joke.

Didn't even realise it was for mtb, all I saw was some lame graphic of an engine and some other bullshit that did not showcase the sport or the actual event.....hope UCI got this company real cheap, their whole campaign has been woeful.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Didn't even realise it was for mtb, all I saw was some lame graphic of an engine and some other bullshit that did not showcase the sport or the actual event.....hope UCI got this company real cheap, their whole campaign has been woeful.
Consider this, Mountain Bikers are aware this event is taking place - UCI don't need to preach to the converted. The Campaign has been designed to entice people that aren't riders. Maybe you should ask how ticket sales are going? Word is pre-sales are a hell of a lot stronger than expected... that cheap-ass campaign might just turn out to be the MTB version of Blair witch!

'Ross

Eats Squid
The Campaign has been designed to entice people that aren't riders.
So how do you entice people to an even without actually giving them indication of what the event is like? It is a very weak campaign, you won't entice people to go to a mountain bike event by showing them a picture of an engine:rolleyes:

I'm sure the event will be very successful and lots of tickets sold, but it will have nothing to do with the actual campaign, its already been talked about on Win news and has got plenty of publicity....its just a shame that the actual sport is not being showcased to people. And 'DH engine, trials engine, 4x engine, bmx engine' as well as 'How do you make a bike fly without wings' looks like they really have a master copywriter on the team:rolleyes:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Hey Ross - you realise you're talking about it... that's a sign that it's struck a chord... you've just contributed additional free publicity for the event based around the premise of the campaign - you've mentioned the engines, and the catchphrase - it's obviously left an impression. YOU HAVE RECALL - interesting that this 'WEAK' campaign has worked so well on you!

rington75

Likes Dirt
UCI campaigns have always been a bit lame, i was looking at some UK mags and the ads for fort william and others arent inspiring but as lee said were talking about!

of course we are on a MTB site LOL

'Ross

Eats Squid
Hey Ross - you realise you're talking about it... that's a sign that it's struck a chord... you've just contributed additional free publicity for the event based around the premise of the campaign - you've mentioned the engines, and the catchphrase - it's obviously left an impression. YOU HAVE RECALL - interesting that this 'WEAK' campaign has worked so well on you!

I thought I wasn't the target market anyway?:p Besides I am only sooking about this on here because it was relevant to the discussion, others have made the same points in other threads...I have not mentioned it to anyone in person....and you can add the fact that I was going anyway regardless of the quality of the campaign. This campaign is about selling tickets, not raising awareness of MTB anyway, so unless my sooking is going to contribute to more people buying tickets its all going to be a futile exercise.

Im just speculating on how successful the campaign will be at reaching the supposed target market (people that aren't riders) And I think it will fail miserably.

A lot of people have commented that the website is crap, I couldn't care less as it provided all the info I needed, with a TV ad they really could have done a lot better, most people wouldn't even realise what it was advertising.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Yeah all good... out of interest what were your thoughts on the World Cup ad?
I completly agree, Ive seen the ad around the place, and if it wasn't for the fact that I knew about this event 2 or 3 years ago, I wouldn't know what it is.

And what was the ad for the WC?

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
I am not sure we are talking about the same ad... what's on the ad that you guys are talking about? The one I know of has Downhill, Cross Country and 4x on it???

World Champs Ad

Just to clarify quickly. Potentially the reason you guys are having a few issues with the ad is that it's a 15 sec version - cut down from an original minute that appears on the website. The call to action has been shortened to allow for sponsorship exposure. There are 3 x 15 sec versions, each displaying a different 'engine'. Sure - if the budget allowed it'd be great to run the 30 sec version all the time with the full effect of all disciplines and nice long call to action at the end - my understanding is the longer version will start appearing closer to the date of the event - it's called momentum advertising. But hey - TVE ain't made of dough - and after the World Cup - they're being a fraction more cautious - fair e'nuf.
'Ross - for your benefit - here's what a 'campaign' is - a series or combination of media, speaking with the same voice to deliver a message - this tvc is backed up by posters, brochures, point of sale, radio, merchandise, press advertising, shopping centre displays - all talking flying bikes and engines... and if you haven't made the connection yet - 'Engines' is a metaphor for the brand ambassadors - Sam Hill , Caroline Buchanon and Christoph Sauser - you may see this fall into place a little closer to the event. Regardless of your thoughts on the concept - it's achieving what it set out to do - provide cut-through on a very limited budget...

I completly agree, Ive seen the ad around the place, and if it wasn't for the fact that I knew about this event 2 or 3 years ago, I wouldn't know what it is.

And what was the ad for the WC?
Interesting you bring that up. The Ad for the WC was created for over 15 times the budget, and you don't remember it!

Last edited: