UCI MTB World Champs - 2009 @ Stromlo

Alchem1st

Squid
I'm so jealous of all you guys who were there, I just couldn't get there for a variety of reasons :(, but freecaster coverage was awesome as always. :D

Random question, I checked the merchanise out on the mtbworlds website and they were going to sell it online, seems they didn't in the end. I was keen on the "Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's just funny" . If anyone bought 2 for whatever reason and wants to offload a blokes size "M" PM me :)

smokeybear

Likes Bikes
I'm so jealous of all you guys who were there, I just couldn't get there for a variety of reasons :(, but freecaster coverage was awesome as always. :D

Random question, I checked the merchanise out on the mtbworlds website and they were going to sell it online, seems they didn't in the end. I was keen on the "Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's just funny" . If anyone bought 2 for whatever reason and wants to offload a blokes size "M" PM me :)
Try to contact them, they were out of some stock today and were taking orders.

floody

Wheel size expert
Not sure if this has already been talked about, but i wondered if anyone else thought the track wasn't worthy of a worlds/uci track. I know peaty mentioned something similar. Are there any other tracks that would be worthy in australia? something at thredbo? or would NZ be the best option for a real DH track.

Don't get me wrong i love stromlo and it makes for awesome coverage but apart from that rock garden it isn't really challenging (for a pro)

At the end of the day, the fastest guy wins. Case in point, they tried to make supercross tracks simpler when Jeremy McGrath was decimating the fields constantly. End result? He annihilated the fields because easier for them to go fast equalled easier for him to go stupid fast.

But for the pinnacle event on the dh calendar, I think it is a shame if its not up there with typical WC Gnar.

But in this case the atmosphere, competition and professionalism of the event were the greater focus; from all reports these were executed in an exemplary fashion, regardless of the lay of the hill.

"Looking forward to Canberra, its a great track....on me roadbike"
-B. Fairclough

stevenw

Pro Rider
Well Done Holly getting 3rd in the Junior Womens!
Don't know what's happened to Hans Hadley and Will Gower, anyone know?
Bad news for both Will and Hans. Both guys had crashes in pactice. Hans broke his collabone and the really bad news is that Will has broken his back. He will be in hospital for 6 weeks. It would be great if everyone could send a get well message to will as it might lift his spirits a little. Will's dad doesn't think he will be back racing again... This is soo sad for Will and cycling in australia.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Great results all-up for the Aussies - 7 top 20 finishes. Good to see Rennie pull out a strong result.

Hats off to young Marcelo Gutierrez from Columbia in 20th. This kid races about one World Cup a year, if he is lucky, but is insanely fast. If he could pull a real team ride it would be great.

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
Bad news for both Will and Hans. Both guys had crashes in pactice. Hans broke his collabone and the really bad news is that Will has broken his back. He will be in hospital for 6 weeks. It would be great if everyone could send a get well message to will as it might lift his spirits a little. Will's dad doesn't think he will be back racing again... This is soo sad for Will and cycling in australia.
who is will? how did he break his back?

Joy

Likes Dirt
So glad I decided to go! Being in the crowd at triple treat was the best, I don't think I've ever been so excited about a sporting event ever. Got to meet heaps of pros, got plenty of autographs including Rob from Freecaster (he was a bit shocked that I was asking him for an autograph haha), drooled over awesome bikes and watched some awesome riding. I was actually quite surprised at how big the event was!

mitton

Squid
i like the fact the track was easier, it kinda threw a spanner into their tactical works like barel opting for a single crown fork, air shock and no knee pads to give him that extra edge.

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats terrible:(, I hope he gets better so he can get back to pinning it
Apparently he crashed in the rock garden at the top i think. According to mum anyway. I was off getting the list of riders and what time there race was so i didn't see.

Get well soon if your reading this...

scuba05

Likes Dirt
i was right near the crash inthe rock garden that will had. Came down, and must have hit something wrong, went straight over the bars and off the LHS near the berm, taking a few trees on the way through. It was one of those crashes you see and go "OH FCUK".
Luckily marshalls were about 5ms away, and ambos there within 5mins. He wasnt in a good way though. Was in quite a bit of pain. Saw his bike being walked down the track bout 30mins later and didnt think he was going to be in a good way. Was interested to know the extent of his injuries, but from the reports of a broken back, thats just gotta suck for him.
Hopefully he makes a full recovery and can get back on a bike asap.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Wow

Well I got to the 4X, XC and DH. Had a massively great time at all of the events. Congratulations to everyone who made the suberb event happen.

400+ volunteers + all of the people who did the hard yards over many years. Thanks. It was great!

Feel a bit flat now. 3 Nationals, 1 Round of the World Cup and the World Champs. I am sure that there will be more in the future, but the memories of the last few days will stay with me for a long, long time.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Fuck they make Stromlo look pretty easy, dont they. Makes me think I could have been up there - bit of pumping, pedal my ass off. Whats so hard? Having been to stromlo, i'm fully aware of the reality. Just saying :p.