UCI Oceania Mountain Bike Championships rate high in Thredbo

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
THREDBO Friday 23rd March

UCI Oceania Mountain Bike Championships rate high in Thredbo

The UCI Oceania Championships in Threbo, New South Wales gets underway officially with the Mountain Cross this evening.

The absence of Australia’s National Champion, Luke Madill, and Jared Graves who are aiming for BMX Olympic selection allows for pure mountain bikers to fight it out. Close rivalry is expected between National Series winner, Terrance Scarr (Raby, NSW) and Luke Strom (East Blaxland, NSW) along with our highest placed rider at the World Championships ,Alex Lloyd (St Clair, NSW. The absence of last year’s Oceania winner, John Kirkcaldi from New Zealand leaves an opening for Wyn Masters, the silver medallist at their national championships to retain the title for New Zealand.

The women’s event features National Champion, Caroline Buchanan (Canberra). At only 16 years of age Buchanan is expected to take on the likes of New Zealand’s Scarlett Hagen, Jennifer Makgill and Amy Laird.

Downhill – Saturday & Sunday

Saturday’s racing lays claim to the World’s best downhill riders competing in a seeding run on the ski slopes of Thredbo. With Australia ranked as one of the best countries in the world, the Oceania’s has attracted World Champion, Sam Hill (Perth,WA)) and the bronze medallist Nathan Rennie (Gold Coast,QLD) coming head to head with the best New Zealand riders. The 2006 World Junior Champion, Cameron Cole from New Zealand now has to mix it with his seniors and will be out to prove his second in elite at the New Zealand Nationals recently was well deserved. The Downhill final run will be the final event on Sunday afternoon with riders expected to reach speeds in excess of 60 km per hour.

Reigning World Junior Downhill Champion, Tracey Hannah (Cairns, QLD) will compete against New Zealand's Scarlett Hagan in a bid to reverse placings and win after placing fifth and fourth last year. Australian National Series winner Claire Whiteman (Canberra, ACT) will pursue a top ride to assist her selection for the World Champioinships in Fort William, Scotland.

Olympic Cross Country - Sunday

All eyes will be on the potential Olympians when racing gets underway Sunday morning in the elite women’s cross country. Australia boasts National Champion, Tory Thomas (Mt Beauty, VIC) who has dominated in the Olympic distance events and marathon distance this season. Thomas however will have her work cut out for her with New Zealand’s World-ranked Rosara Joseph. Joseph placed 10th at the World Championships last September and is also looking to back up her win at last year’s Oceania’s in Rotorua. European based, Kate Potter will also be a hot favourite for Australia after winning on this course at the last National Series event held last December.

Australia is hoping for a clean sweep of the podium in the men’s race with Athens Olympian, Sid Taberlay (Hobart,TAS) competing against his Commonwealth Games teammate, Chris Jongewaard (Adelaide, SA) and other riders with good form such as Dylan Cooper (Canberra, ACT) and Daniel McConnell (Gippsland, VIC). New Zealander, Clinton Avery could be out to switch last year's placings with Shaun Lewis (Adelaide) in the Under 23 division .

For Olympic Cross Coutnry riders such as Sid Taberlay, Chris Jongewaard, Tory Thomas and Kate Potter who head overseas soon to compete in World Cup events, these points will help them get a top grid positions.

According to the CEO of Mountain Bike Australia, Tony Scott, this is invaluable when they line up at these World Cups. “They can gain a higher start grid position, which in this discipline could mean 1 or 2 laps of avoiding less able riders,” explained Scott.

The Oceania points are valuable on a national scale as well. “They all add to the Australian National ranking which is used to define the number of riders each nation can place on the XCO Olympic start line,” said Scott.

Scott said, "The 2007 Oceania Mountain Bike Championships in Thredbo are the most fleshed out in recent history. It is held in conjunction with an innovative program of events in one of Australia's premier mountain bike destinations."

For more information, FEED details, PHOTOS and INTERVIEWS.
Regards
Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
The absence of Australia’s National Champion, Luke Madill, and Jared Graves who are aiming for BMX Olympic selection allows for pure mountain bikers to fight it out. Close rivalry is expected between National Series winner, Terrance Scarr (Raby, NSW) and Luke Strom (East Blaxland, NSW) along with our highest placed rider at the World Championships ,Alex Lloyd
Pure mountain bikers my ass.

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Wow what a way to insult the athletes, although I was amused on reading this, I cant believe the level of ignorance invovled in writing it.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
It's even better when Terry Scarr has had to get his name corrected several times, and they still call him Terrance. Bit like that Luke Storm fellow...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You have got to be kidding.......surely someone with any knowledge of MTB and / or BMX would know that Madill and Graves are.........never mind, you all know what I was going to say.
What a turkey..........

Jared

Yeti Cycles
You have got to be kidding.......surely someone with any knowledge of MTB and / or BMX would know that Madill and Graves are.........never mind, you all know what I was going to say.
What a turkey..........
yeah that bugged me a little, actually a lot......

cmon Sharon.... if im not a pure mtb rider...then no one is.....

Terry, Alex and Madill are bmxers who race mountain bikes, myself on the other hand, am a mountainbiker who races BMX.....just to set the record straight

When the guy doing the commentry at ACT UCI BMX round kept calling me "the ex-mountainbiker" i just about lost it...... sorry, im still a mountainbiker rider, i will always race mountainbikes.....

that is all.....

Last edited:

barnesy

Likes Dirt
I'm over this....

Most every elite rider nowadays cross trains on a road bike, does that make them a pure roadie ? But wait.. they proabably do sprints on a BMX . So they must be pure BMXers... OR they could be cross training in the velodrome, so they must be pure Track cyclists...No,...they do a lot of dirt jumping too.. So they must be pure Dirt Jumpers...No. That depends on how many inches their wheels now have, because they could be doing the jumping on 20" 24" or 26". God help them if they are using two different sized wheels?*@%#.
Hey how about we make this whole load of shit a lot simpler.

I RIDE, THEY RIDE, WE RIDE.

P.S. Jared, I do a lot of commentating in BMX (I also have 4 x bikes with 3 different wheels sizes) if you were called an 'ex' anything, it wasn't me but I'll apologise anyway. Keep doing as many disciplines as you can fit in. It benefits each discipline with more elite riders, more competition, better racing, better spectating.

TS153

TerryScarr.com
True, which is why no-one should have been labelled as 'pure' in the first place.
Haha how good is this thread.
Jared your just gonna have to face the fact that you have been tainted by the the BMX bike.
We will have to start off fresh, maybe lawn bowls what do ya think.

My bro came up to AA now too and he said he wants his number back.
Terry...

custard

Banned
cody you rat why aren't you down here to enjoy the rain, mud, sub zero temperatures and wind?

its awesome, bikes love it long time...

those kiwi's got booted out of there apartment, pwned

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
I heard a rumour that our female national champ is there too, ready to smash it up. Did no one tell MTBA that?

broccoli

Likes Bikes
cody you rat why aren't you down here to enjoy the rain, mud, sub zero temperatures and wind?

its awesome, bikes love it long time...

those kiwi's got booted out of there apartment, pwned
expand?

anyone got any updates from the racing?

dhd

Downhill Direct
I was talking to Indi the other day and it seems she wasn't allowed to compete due to her "from out of town-ness". She gets her Ozzie status in a week or two. After that she will be able to compete as an Australian citizen.
She was pretty bummed at not being eligible to race.
Also I noticed Philip Polc raced Expert class. His time would have put him well within the top ten.........

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
yeah that bugged me a little, actually a lot......

cmon Sharon.... if im not a pure mtb rider...then no one is.....
Yep it's be shitting me for a while.

Sharon has done a lot of good getting MTB into main stream media in the last two years but unfortunately she is stuck on the BMX/MTB thing.

Maybe it is an attempt to cross promote the sport but if she said "all rounder who is also ranked highly in <insert discipline(s) of choice>" it would be much better.

T-Rex

Template denier
Also I noticed Philip Polc raced Expert class. His time would have put him well within the top ten.........
His time would have put him 4th in Mens Elite.... Obviously he got the best time in Expert by a big margin, but he "withdrew" from the class prior to the presentation - and got a huge round of applause for his display of sportsmanship. He'll be welcome back in Oz any time.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
His time would have put him 4th in Mens Elite.... Obviously he got the best time in Expert by a big margin, but he "withdrew" from the class prior to the presentation - and got a huge round of applause for his display of sportsmanship. He'll be welcome back in Oz any time.
Most popular sandbagger ever!

(and I know he wasn't trying to pull a swiftie)